Chapel hill murders (8 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
Of course it's never been an intelligent sentiment in any way, that's why I included what's written in the bracket ;)

However I did find it to be not too uncommon, and not just in people like RUS. There's quite a lot of folks out there who believe that religions are to blame for a huge part of violence in the world, and that without it, aka with atheistic hegenomy, these problems wouldn't exist.
Bullshit! No one suggests that atheism as the final solution to violence. That's just too simplistic. But violence that is caused by reasons that are evidently religious can be prevented to a large extent by being atheistic. Take the Charlie Hebdo killings for example. It was directly a result of beliefs that stemmed from the Islam. Namely that Muhammad is a prophet of god, and that depicting Muhammad is prohibited. If we simply acknowledged that beliefs like these emerge from something as irrational as religion, then yes, those murders would never have happened.

Religion IS one of the reasons for violence. And we would reduce hate, violence, and thereby suffering, if more people stopped believing in such fairy tales and stopped spreading such harmful ideas.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 9, 2006
parking dispute
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...mily-home-10037734.html?origin=internalSearch
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...dents-murdered-parking-dispute_n_6661424.html
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...ts-shooting-deaths-arose-from-parking-dispute
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2015/02/11/3560264_man-arrested-after-3-shot-to-death.html?rh=1
http://www.voanews.com/content/musl...ear-university-of-north-carolina/2638609.html
http://mobiletribune.com/2015/02/11/chapel-hill-killings-motive-appears-to-be-parking-dispute/
http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...na-shooting-deaths-20150211-story.html#page=1

No more bullshit atheism vs religion, it's domestic murders, case closed

- - - Updated - - -

Bullshit! No one suggests that atheism as the final solution to violence. That's just too simplistic. But violence that is caused by reasons that are evidently religious can be prevented to a large extent by being atheistic. Take the Charlie Hebdo killings for example. It was directly a result of beliefs that stemmed from the Islam. Namely that Muhammad is a prophet of god, and that depicting Muhammad is prohibited. If we simply acknowledged that beliefs like these emerge from something as irrational as religion, then yes, those murders would never have happened.

Religion IS one of the reasons for violence. And we would reduce hate, violence, and thereby suffering, if more people stopped believing in such fairy tales and stopped spreading such harmful ideas.
Money, religion, power, lust but lets not forget that religion = money+power+lust
:agree:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Simply put, blame the media.
Except this time we seem to be blaming the media for not panicking enough.

Thank you for providing such a nice example of how some/many atheists treat their non-belief as a religion. I mean this is exactly the same line of argument as "the terrorists are not real muslims". Not that I think that argument is necessarily flawed, but it's telling how someone supposedly standing above religious thoughts and attitudes resorts to the exact same thinking, proving that they are not all that different after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but there are imo a lot of actually rather smart people who think along the same lines, though not as extreme.
Dude, some atheists are like anti-vaxxers. They think their superior intellect over conventional beliefs somehow makes them special and thus their egotistical fantasies save them from any harm.

Jul 1, 2010

Misinterpretation of religion is. If everyone believed the peaceful message of Jesus as layed out in the Gospels there would be peace on earth.

Apr 15, 2006
Misinterpretation of religion is. If everyone believed the peaceful message of Jesus as layed out in the Gospels there would be peace on earth.
But the misinterpretation is a result of gods word being ambiguous and unclear. If god really was as perfect as these books claim to be, then his words would leave no room for misinterpretation.

To quote the Bible to make my point, how can a good tree bear bad fruit? :klin:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
But the misinterpretation is a result of gods word being ambiguous and unclear. If god really was as perfect as these books claim to be, then his words would leave no room for misinterpretation.

To quote the Bible to make my point, how can a good tree bear bad fruit? :klin:
But this isn't about whether God exists or his words are perfect, just about the consequences of religion as a whole, and whether those really can be traced back to the religions themselves or to other reasons.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Religion is just the convenient authority figure of the given time. Humans were worshipping gods of thunder and still used religion as a justification for killing one another. This isn't anything new here.

Same circus, different clown god.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
So when an iraqi blows himself up because his country has been invaded and family killed, it's a religious issue?
You just ignore that when they invaded his country, they took his parking space. The whole conflict in the world is just competing over parking lots.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I actually wouldn't deny that religions can and have played a role of a potent "amplifier" of violence (not that there aren't plenty of other things finding the same use), but it's more often than not not the actual reason for conflict. Poverty is a much more interesting issue in that respect.

Apr 15, 2006
But this isn't about whether God exists or his words are perfect, just about the consequences of religion as a whole, and whether those really can be traced back to the religions themselves or to other reasons.
I disagree. The main reason why people believe in these holy books and what's written in them in the first place is because it is the word of god, who's all powerful and all knowing. So if his words are open to misinterpretation, then at some point, you gotta admit that his "fruit" isn't all that good, which in turn is inconsistent with his attributes. At this point, I would stop believing in god AND his words, but people like you seem to defend him.

And like I said before, don't you think that the Charlie Hebdo murders were a "consequence" of the religion prohibiting the depiction of its prophet? Because if it didn't, just like in Hinduism fox ex, would anyone really kill them for it?

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
If a Muslim had this quote on his Facebook, he would be in Guantanamo without even killing a fly:

On Facebook, Hicks' profile picture reads "Atheists for Equality" and he frequently posted quotes critical of religion. On Jan. 20 he posted a photo of a .38-caliber revolver that he said was loaded and belonged to him.

"Yes, that is 1 pound 5.1 ounces for my loaded 38 revolver, its holster, and five extra rounds in a speedloader," the post said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...der-idUSKBN0LF11020150211?utm_source=Facebook

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
FFS, this is exactly why conflicts last thousands of years. Good luck in Palestine, mate.
You know Seven these three were Palestinian refugees from the third generation. Their parents or grandparents left Palestine and gave up any hope of return as the US government wants. They were chased there and were killed.

So, simply my question, what is the best thing a Palestinian can do on this planet? Where should he/she go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)