[Champions League] JUVENTUS vs Bate (12/10/08) (20 Viewers)

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
out of topic ;)

from Herald tribune

Juventus needs a point against BATE to win group

Published: December 9, 2008

TURIN, Italy: Juventus has gone undefeated in its return to the Champions League after a two-season absence, and one more point against BATE Borisov on Wednesday would guarantee top spot in Group H, ahead of Real Madrid.

Juventus has already guaranteed its passage to the knockout phase with home and away victories over Madrid, while Belarussian side BATE is already assured of finishing last in the group in its debut season.

"Even if a draw is all we need, we're going to play to win. That's our mentality," coach Claudio Ranieri said. "Finishing first is important for the standings and our image, but also because there are some pretty fearsome opponents waiting in the next round."

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero was instrumental in both wins over Madrid, accounting for three of Juve's four goals in the fixtures — all from free kicks. However, with Del Piero out resting a minor thigh problem sustained during a 2-1 win over Lecce on Saturday, Sebastian Giovinco took advantage of a rare start and converted a free kick for his first Serie A goal with Juventus.

The skills of the 21-year-old Giovinco have been likened to Del Piero's and his run in the team may extend to Wednesday's Champions League encounter, as Ranieri may choose to prolong the senior player's time on the sidelines with Sunday's showdown with AC Milan looming.

"The training exercises paid off," said Giovinco, who scored six goals on loan with Empoli last season. "I had already scored a few free kicks with the junior side, but Serie A is on a different level. I'm happy with how it went but you can't live on joy and glory. We've got to refocus right away on the next game. I'm ready for BATE."

Juventus has produced three victories and two draws and leads the group with 11 points. Madrid is next with nine points, Zenit St. Petersburg has five and BATE two.

Against Lecce, Brazilian striker Amauri scored the winner in the final minute, redirecting a pinpoint cross from 22-year-old defender Paolo De Ceglie.

"As a coach and a club, we're investing a lot in the younger players, and it's paying off big-time," Ranieri said.

As for Del Piero's participation in the Champions League, Ranieri said he would discuss the situation with the team captain.

"I'll speak personally with him and with the medical staff and we'll decide together what to do," he said.

Juventus defender Mohamed Sissoko is suspended after collecting his third yellow card of the group stage against Zenit, and forward Vincenzo Iaquinta was left off the roster due to injury.

Midfielder Mauro Camoranesi will also likely miss the game with a collar bone injury, although Cristiano Zanetti has returned after sitting out the first three months of the season.

Meanwhile, BATE is merely hoping to end its debut season on a respectable note.

Coach Viktor Goncharenko said a draw was most likely the best he could hope for.

"But that doesn't mean that we will hold back. Every match we play to win," Goncharenko said.

BATE gave Juve a scare in September, when Sergei Kryvets and Igor Stasevich scored before Vincenzo Iaquinta hit back with two goals to equalize. The match ended 2-2.

But BATE has managed only 11 shots on goal in its opening five games, the lowest total in the competition.

With the Belarussian season over, BATE has been training in Rome, and beat Serie B side Frosinone 1-0 in a friendly last week.

"The main thing was that we kept ourselves in good form before the Juventus game," Goncharenko said.

The Belarussian season ended in November with BATE crowned champion.

"We have had a fine season," Goncharenko said. "I have nothing to complain about. We won all the key fixtures when we had to win."

BATE is without long-term injury victim Vladimir Rzhevsky. The Russian defender broke his ankle in a match against Zenit in November. Rzhevsky's compatriot and defensive partner Anton Sakharov is nearing the end of his contract and has not flown to Italy with the team.

Midfielder Dmitry Likhtarovich has recovered from a clash of heads with Sergio Ramos when BATE lost 1-0 to Madrid in Minsk last month.

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #132
    I don't want to look like I'm picking on your or something, but you were cheering for Valencia and Chelsea before right? and now Juventus

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    You cant blame them, they like pretending they are germans (jaja, mi make ze funny joke today too!), and tell the same extremely bad jokes in every match thread like a bureacratic ritual :p

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
    no worries..I will come here on sunday as going away, but i will record bate game to watch in peace when back..

See u on eve of Milan's game..

Dare I say we loose, even they dont have Gatusso ?

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)