Champions League draw (1 Viewer)

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #24
    I was just making my own preparations! :D Rotterdam, here I come!!! :extatic:

DJ - Leverkusen has lost it's best players to Bayern München over the transfer period and I don't expect them to do well!

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't think our group is too bad, still it isn't easy. I think we probably had an easier first group last year. Still no excuses for us not to qualify.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    Here's who I think will go thru...

A:
    Arsenal
    PSV

B:
    Valencia
    Liverpool

C:
    Real Madrid
    Roma

D:
    Inter
    Ajax

E:
    Juventus
    Feyenoord

F:
    ManU
    Olympiakos

G:
    Bayern Munchen
    Deportivo la Coruna

H:
    Barcelona
    Galatasaray

jaansu

Jul 12, 2002
    That's probably what I'd say also.

I believe our last away victory in the CL was against Dynamo Kiev, 4 or 5 years ago, so hopfully being going back to Kiev will break this run of bad results away from home.

The English media give very little hope to Newcastle, I also think that they won't qualify but stranger things have happened. They are a good attacking side and not too bad at home.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #29
    Newcastle isn't so bad! I'm even thinking of going to their match in Rotterdam.

Sarah - I hope you're right about the Dutch clubs!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    There is always a team that upsets the apple cart and thats usually in the toughest group and usually in the team with an english team and an italian team in it, i do feel that we have to be on the ball the whole time as even though our group is not that hard on paper, Italian teams have this annoying habit of making life very difficult for themselves

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    again sadly, you have a good point there...

++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
    that sentence has a huge contradiction in it - what exactly do you mean?
    levekusen have sold two key players..but they have also recruited some new players from SA noteably...i wouldnt write them of ;)

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Serie A sides comment on CL draw Thursday 29 August, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall the four Serie A clubs were relatively content with the Champions’ League draw.

ROMA

President Franco Sensi: “It was a medium to good draw for us. Real Madrid are obviously the most difficult opponents, but we will take on the European Champions with a relaxed attitude. We picked a team from all levels in this group – a great side like Real, a medium team in AEK Athens and Belgians Genk are an average club. I’d say it went well.”

“It will be an exciting encounter with Real Madrid. We won’t have Francesco Totti, Gabriel Batistuta or Francisco Lima due to their bans for the Galatasaray match last year, but we have plenty of strong players to fill in.”

Coach Fabio Capello: “It’s certainly a difficult group and not just because our first game is against Real Madrid. The two trips to Athens and Genk will complicate matters further. Let’s hope we get a better start than last season, when we played on that tragic September 11.”

JUVENTUS

Coach Marcello Lippi: “We have the toughest group as all four teams are more or less on the same level. Our opponents will be further along in their training as their Leagues have already started.”

“Compared to last year we will face more glamorous sides. Newcastle can count on Alan Shearer, a real goal-scoring machine. Feyenoord have Pierre Van Hooijdonk, while we will immediately send our scouts over to check out Dynamo Kiev.”

Director Roberto Bettega: “We have this good fortune, or misfortune, to always end up in very balanced groups. The last game is in Kiev and we hope to find a warm climate. We have played in the Ukraine before and know what to expect. I don’t know if we’ll reach that final match with the qualification already sorted out.”

“We know Feyenoord well and certainly don’t need to watch Friday’s Supercup game with Real Madrid to learn about this team. Our injuries could prove a problem for the opening ties, but we hope to have Antonio Conte and Igor Tudor back for the first game.”

INTER

Coach Hector Cuper: “It looks like a very balanced group. The Champions’ League is filled with great teams this year and the quality is high. Milan will have extra motivation because their draw was so tough.”

Director Giacinto Facchetti: “All opponents are tough at this stage of the competition and we are happy with the draw. Inter must be strong. Rosenborg are already well into their season and have recently done well, so we must not underestimate them in the opening tie. Thankfully, we started early because of the preliminary round and are therefore fitter than some other Serie A sides.”

From Football Italia

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Lippi surely is joking as surely Milan are in the most difficult group, and Bettega should not annoy me by talking about injuries as they had the chance to buy players and we did not

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    SoccerAge.com's exclusive network got its ambitious tentacles on Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi this afternoon, who kindly outlined his thoughts on the Champions League group Juve were placed in together with Feyenoord, Dinamo Kiev, and Newcastle United.

"It's hard to comment this draw. It will be a good group if we make it through. We will face teams that all have a great past, having won something in Europe. They are all difficult adversaries, who more, who less. However we have a serious danger to face, something that Inter and Milan don't have, as they partook in the preliminary phase. The Milanese teams are in fact already in-form; we instead, like AS Roma, have only played friendly matches so far, so we will have some difficulties against teams that already began their championship campaigns. Ultimately, it's not an impossible group," said Moggi.

On a separate note, the Juventus general manager also told SoccerAge.com sister site Rete.it that he expects the Serie A to start on September 15th.

"Yes, I believe it will start on that date. But it's impossible to predict things. That is the expected date, let's see what happens," added one of calcio's most powerful men.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Here's the schedule for the Group E, the blackandwhites' one:

Wednesday: September, the 18th, 2002: Feyenord-Juventus.

Tuesday: September the 24th, 2002: Juventus-Dinamo Kiev.

Tuesday: October, the 1st, 2002: Juventus-Newcastle.

Wednesday: october the 23rd, 2002: Newcastle-Juventus.

Tuesday: October, the 28th 2002: Juventus-Feyenord.

Wednesday: November, the 13th 2002: Dinamo Kiev-Juventus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)