[Champions League] Celtic 0-3 JUVENTUS (February 12, 2013) (30 Viewers)

MoM

• Caceres

• Peluso

• Marchisio

• Pirlo

• Matri

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007
Think ITV showed Juve hammering Chelsea.

Was nice to hear the likes of Townsend suffer.

His all time great comment was when, just before Germany thrashed England 4-1 at the last World Cup, he declared no German player was good enough to get into the England side. :D
:lol:

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
That's what I was thinking. Although if he is weak that may not be good news for us with the best fans in the world scaring him.
He's experienced though. He's been to the World Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

Home advantage should be cancelled out by the CL refs usually favouring the bigger team, since that's who UEFA will want to progress.
Platini has already said that Juve are into the quarter finals after all.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty'
By Football Italia staff

Ahead of tonight’s Champions League match, former Celtic star Frank McGarvey claims Juventus were the dirtiest side he ever faced and Claudio Gentile “knocked me unconscious.”

He was on the field when these teams first met in 1981, taking on the likes of Dino Zoff, Gaetano Scirea, Antonio Cabrini, Marco Tardelli and legendary hard man of Italian football Gentile.

“They did everything to upset us,” McGarvey told the Daily Record. “Pulling your jersey was the least of it.

“I was spat on, elbowed and their defenders were even pulling the hairs out of my legs. The worst, though, was when Gentile knocked me out. It happened during the first half in Italy when we were attacking and the referee and the linesman were following the play.

“He just came up behind me and punched me in the head. I was unconscious. Our physio brought me round with smelling salts – and they were disgusting.

“Back then being knocked out wasn’t enough to have you substituted so I played on while the rough treatment continued.

“I was always very good when it came to keeping my discipline as a player and I didn’t respond to any of the fouls or the spitting.

“However, once the final whistle went I lost my head and went in search of Gentile. I went up the tunnel shouting for him and I was determined to land one on him for what he did.

“It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever reacted like that but I was furious about what he’d done. I didn’t get to him but that was probably the best thing that ever happened to me because he was twice my size!”

Juventus lost 1-0 in Glasgow and qualified by winning the second leg 2-0 at the Stadio Comunale in Turin.

“I’ve never had a problem with hard tackling – in fact I think the modern game has gone too far in trying to get rid of it – but they weren’t exactly hard but fair,” continued McGarvey.

“Juventus were a team full of household names and half of them were World Cup winners but the referee in both games let them away with murder.

“Their defenders simply wouldn’t have a career nowadays. The stunts they pulled off the ball back then would now be caught by cameras and they’d be pulled up and banned for it.

“Unfortunately, 30 years ago it was open season on us. It was obvious that they were desperate to win and would stop at nothing when it came to putting you off your game.”

:lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Can't wait for the racist chants during the second leg. That will send the british press into an Italy hating uproar.

Also, be on the look out.

pillowpants.com

Coming Soon.

DST17

May 3, 2012
Celtic reminds me of some teams in Bulgaria. CSKA Sofia once beat Juventus, but of course were eliminated over 2 legs, and they still brag about that win. They also did the same thing with Liverpool. And now Celtic are bragging about some win 10 years ago, that really didn't matter AGAIN. That's what small clubs are like. They may be something in their country but in Europe they are just another outsider. I guess we won't win tonight, they will get pumped up and talk about their victory/draw for a month and then we will crush them in Turin.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
BIG CUP IS BACK!

It's that time of year again. Spring is almost here. The title race in England/Scotland/Spain/Germany/many other countries the Fiver has heard people talking about on television is already boiling up into a depressingly entropic one-team plod home. And once again Europe's elite footballing powers (and Arsenal) are preparing to rejoin Big Cup battle in a series of pan-European arm wrestles that make the recent series of ongoing amendments to the EU agricultural subsidies reform bill look almost a little dull and overly fixated on exactly how much money farmers should be given in order to send their children to agricultural colleges so they can learn how to live in Chelsea and work in marketing and stop being farmers.

For the Fiver it's a special time of year for other reasons too. As the Queen's Celtic prepare to kick things off with the visit of Juventus tonight the Fiver must once again wriggle its monocle into place, scan its yellowing collection of Match of the Day magazines (1992-1997) and pretend to know not just what's been going on in the SPL for the past three months, but also what kind of hopes the Queen's Celtic can realistically have of staging a minor fitba hijack and sneaking past Antonio Conte's semi-invincibles over two legs. The key word here, incidentally, is pretending to know. Naturally the Fiver cares, just as the Fiver cares about all football teams everywhere throughout the civilised footballing world and also Scotland, visualising itself in this regard as a kind of tea-time email Michael Jackson, arms spread, tattered trousers flapping in the fetid King's Cross gale, football teams of the world huddled at its feet, clinging to its ankles, pawing its chest, gouging its eyes, Chinese burning its forearms.

Which, having now spent a few moments scanning the likely prognosis for tonight's first leg at Celtic Park, is perhaps a fairly helpful summary of the Queen's Celtic's likely tactics against an excellent Juventus team who have of course already seen off the (is this right?) reigning champions in the shape of samba-carbon oddities Chelsea. Not that Neil Lennon is, quite rightly, having any of that. "It's such a difficult ride to get here," Lennon told this morning's newspapers, dismounting with a wince from his fixed wheel wooden-tyred penny farthing. "It would be dangerous to underestimate Celtic. We have proved in the Champions League that we can be a match for anyone. We have been underestimated as a physical, up-and-at-them British-type team. That is exactly what we are not.

"We have skilful, technical players in our team," he added, before in an unrelated development, revealing that Hellenic goal-wildman Georgios Samaras will undergo a fitness test before tonight's game, possibly involving running around blindfolded in a large empty field occasionally falling over. Lennon also described as "ignorant" and "a cheap shot" a snarky Twitter comment made by the match broadcaster ITV when the draw was first announced, and which will no doubt have him nailing his iPad to the dressing room wall before kick-off this evening.

Juventus meanwhile have been building bridges and making friends by choosing to train at the Murray Park complex of local Third Division minnows Pope's Newc O'Rangers. "It was only through the Italian press that I learned of the astonishment about this here in Scotland," Conte cackled yesterday, not just twisting the knife, but swirling it around in a clockwise direction with a series of expert flourishes reminiscent of a particularly energised Dark Period John Leslie making pancakes on Blue Peter.

• Join Barney Ronay from 7.15pm for live MBM coverage of Queen's Celtic 0-1 Juventus. Also on big website tonight: Simon Burnton's MBM report of Valencia 1-1 Paris Saint-Germain.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/12/the-fiver-celtic-champions-league

Nardonejuve

Mar 21, 2010
Gentile :lol:

Dude must have been a monster when he played.
My grandfather has a bunch of juventus VHS tapes juventus history and recently my aunt put some important matches of juventus history on DVD and yes he was a monster destroyer asshole all in one. Fantastic player love him. So many people bitch about playing against him and yet when gentile is asked about it he puts a smile on his face and acts like he doesnt kow what your talking about :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)