[Champions League] Bayern München vs JUVENTUS (April 2, 2013) (46 Viewers)

Monco

C.R.E.A.M
Mar 27, 2013
I wonder how many people will actually turn up on Saturday in the match against Pescara. I hope the stadium will be packed and everyone will be cheering for the team like a mofo, we need it more than ever before.

Inglip

Jul 29, 2011
History proves @Cronios right, everyone except Peluso were the players from season 2011/2012, Marrota should have bought quality not depth, depth was useless this season

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Bit late, but.. ouch!

I was really disappointed to see both Pirlo and Buffon, player you'd expect to do well, have such a shocker of a game. The rest were pretty shit as well, so we made life easy for an already outstanding and full-of-confidence Bayern side.

The scoreline isn't even that bad, but it could've been one of those nights where Bayern were simply unable to score, if it hadn't been for Buffon's errors on both goals. Very frustrating game to watch.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
And a CL quarter final, which shows depth and a fair amount of quality.

It's always harder to win the scudetto the following season, and to match that with a strong CL run the team have shown a lot of progression in a short space of time.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We lost a lot points in January/February, when we had injuries and depth couldn't win us some games
Depth players are naturally weaker, they aren't a guarantee. Just like the top striker doesn't guarantee we progress from this tie.

Besides, general fitness levels are as much to blame there. You'll most likely see the same next season.

Inglip

Jul 29, 2011
Depth players are naturally weaker, they aren't a guarantee. Just like the top striker doesn't guarantee we progress from this tie.

Besides, general fitness levels are as much to blame there. You'll most likely see the same next season.
I was trying to say, that we spent a lot of money on bench players (Isla), which could have been used for other positions

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was trying to say, that we spent a lot of money on bench players (Isla), which could have been used for other positions
When you spend a fair amount of money on players you don't use then questions will always be asked, I agree there.

But circumstances change, and we might see better from someone like Isla next season. Answer me this, when we bought him how many were disappointed? He looked like a logical 'attacking' RWB alternative to Lichtsteiner's 'defensive' slot. Maybe he still will be. Right now he's well out of it and Padoin fills in. That's the next point, having squad players who will cover several roles and sit quietly on the bench for spells.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Shit performance. Buffon and Pirlo were horrible. Peluso got raped by Robben, and Asamoah should start in the 2nd leg. Marchisio was invisible, and our best players on the night, Vidal and Licht, are suspended for the return leg :sergio:

Our defense was under pressure the entire first half, and we rarely looked like threatening, so no surprise that we didn't get the much needed away goal.

We did have a spell of possession after they scored early, but after the 15 minute mark we just faded away. Both Bayern goals were somewhat fortuitous (a deflection and a clear offside), but that doesn't detract from an overall poor performance on our part, and a dominant performance by Bayern. They totally deserved their win.

We need to score in the 1'st half in the return leg, avoid conceding, and generally be more imposing, show urgency and intensity, while cutting out all those needless errors and misplaced passes which just gift Bayern possession and allow them to attack us relentlessly as in the 1'st half.

Our strikers can learn a thing of two from Mandzukic as well. He was a constant thorn in Pirlo's side, and always went back to assist his midfielders.

It's going to be another 90+ minutes of absolute torture unless we improve drastically, but if we score early, anything is possible.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Well, not entirely sure what to make of that.

Bayern played okay and pressed reasonably well, but I thought Juve were pretty terrible.

It was apparent from early on that Bayern intended to step up the pitch to make it hard for Juve to play out from that back. However, they weren't pressing particularly ferociously or committing all that many players to the pressing. I thought Juve, with a little bit of guile, really ought to have been able to find a way to play out from the back.

However, once it was clear Juve were struggling to play out from the back, I didn't understand them not going longer: either playing short first, and inviting the Bayern press before going long long; or just going long straight away. Now, I wouldn't have expected Matri or Quagliarella to do a particularly fantastic job of holding the ball up, but if they put in a decent challenge, they could at least make it a situation where the ball was just dropping loose in midfield and Juve would have had the chance to pick up a reasonable number of those loose balls. Or Juve could have gone longer than that and looked for Matri to run in behind Bayern. That would have allowed Juve some sort of territory at times and would have given them the opportunity to try and press Bayern in their own half a little more often.That plan would at least have stopped giving the ball away in dangerous areas the way they did so often through the game - particularly in the fist half.

At half time, with things not going well, I didn't understand Conte not making a change. Juve, the way they were playing, might as well have only had nine men on the field because Matri and Quagliarella were not able to contribute anything. If Juve weren't going to play longer, I thought they should have gone to the 3-5-1-1 that had been spoken about a lot before the game, so that they at least had an extra body in midfield and only one player standing on the halfway line not contributing.

The only positives to be taken from the game are that Juve didn't capitulate after conceding early and that they did look capable of withstanding what Bayern had to throw at them on the occasions when Bayern were attacking in more normal circumstances and not when Juve had gifted them possession within thirty yards of goal.

Vucinic not being fit was clearly a huge blow given how reliant Juve are on him for ball retention, so it wasn't a surprise to see Juve struggling as they did. To take the weakest area of Juve's team and make it even weaker did mean that Bayern looked the clearly superior team on paper going into the game, where I don't think there is a big gap between the sides when both are at full strength. Llorente joining Juve in the summer should make Juve much harder for teams to press them, because they should be able to go long to him and play from there if playing out from the back is proving difficult.

Ribery7

Apr 2, 2013
I know you might instantly disagree with everything I'll write because of my username (as seen in some of your comments). I don't mean to sound disrespectful but you guys made it easy for us except for the first 15 minutes. All in all, except for some misses, everything went our way last night. The 2nd was a 50/50 decision, but it benefited us, although he can be blamed for wastefulness, Robben's forced introduction probably was better than playing Kroos, but most importantly the Juventus players that I expected most from this match both flopped. We can also open a debate about this, but it's fair to mention that if it wasn't for the early 1st goal we might have seen a different match.

I wrote before the match that I learned not to trust in superstitions, records or statistics and I was right. Also, one thing I don't agree with most of you here, maybe I'm biased, but if you can make a case for Ribery to be sent off, surely, IMO, you can also make a case for Vidal or maybe Chiellini to be sent off. All in all, Clattenburg whistled too little. While I loved the flow of the game, it resulted in a dirty game sometimes and may have further resulted in nasty injuries.

That said, I'm confident you have the quality to turn around this tie, but after a fresh memory of what complacency can lead to, I'm rightfully hopeful that I won't see anything like that. I was very impressed by Vidal, I knew he would be motivated against us, but he was the one that really stood out from your team. I'm curious how you will be able to compensate for his absence, he seems to be very influential on your team. Last time we missed Schweini (our most influential player) in our CL match resulted in the only match this season we didn't manage to score, but most importantly it could have been almost disastrous (that 0-2 with Arsenal). A lot of you are praising Pogba, I admit I haven't seen many matches from him, so I'm curious how he will perform.

Good luck on your weekend match vs Pescara, I will be watching it too :)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Also, that's a game I wish I'd been present to watch, because I would really like to know what exactly was going on in the middle third of the pitch - in terms of movement from Juve and positioning/marking from Bayern - because you just couldn't see it when the camera was focused in on the play when Juve were struggle to get out of their own defensive third of the pitch. Were there options for the ball to be played into that area more or earlier instead of nudging the ball sideways and inviting the Bayern pressing?

Machisio, in particular, never seemed to be prepared to drop deep from midfield to try and offer another way for Juve to play out from the back.

Bonucci and Vidal are the only Juve players who could be given pass marks, I'd say.

Completely agree. What do you make of the second leg @Red
Very difficult, but not impossible.

Juve need to take heart from the fact that Bayern were only able to score relatively freakish goals, so have to believe they can keep a clean sheet.

Juve scoring a couple of goals at home is certainly far from impossible.

The second leg Bayern played against Arsenal is really unfortunate at this point. Bayern were so lethargic and complacent in that game and played in such nothing fashion with the two-goal lead that they allowed a shit team like Arsenal the chance to come back.

Unfortuantely, with Bayern having done that it the previous round, they are pretty unlikely to repeat the mistakes of that game, so Juve will have to do the work themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

I wrote before the match that I learned not to trust in superstitions, records or statistics and I was right. Also, one thing I don't agree with most of you here, maybe I'm biased, but if you can make a case for Ribery to be sent off, surely, IMO, you can also make a case for Vidal or maybe Chiellini to be sent off. All in all, Clattenburg whistled too little. While I loved the flow of the game, it resulted in a dirty game sometimes and may have further resulted in nasty injuries.
The referee was poor throughout.

Not biased or decisive in the outsome, but certainly poor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)