Champions League 2020-21 #CeferinOut (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
A Barca loss makes me feel better generally because of the Messi-Cr7 debate. I didn’t really care how Barcelona did before we got Cris.

Having said that, Messi is performing today way better than Cris did yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you are no different to the CR7 fanboys who are on the Juve train just for him.

I don't care about CR7's accomplishments with Juve. I care about Juve's accomplishments with CR7 and it has been underwhelming to say the least for various reasons. A Barca win yesterday with Messi playing a starring role would've changed nothing atleast as far as I'm concerned.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Cassano said some words about Juve. He might be right in terms of quality but he should still stick to his fishing habbits..
I like that he is saying those things. Someone needs to say them. The club needs to hear it. People dont say those things because it isnt nice but sometimes it takes an asshole to slap you into brutal reality.

May 23, 2013
Wasn't sure where to post this; however, has anyone else noticed a steep decline in midfielder quality throughout football in this generation to the previous one? In order to demonstrate this I'll present those who I believe to have been the best and most prominent midfielders from 2005-15 and from 2016-present. I've divided them into these two intervals as I believe there was an evident change of guard around the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2016. Well here goes....

2006-2015:
Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Lampard, Schweinsteiger, Busquets, Yaya Toure, Vidal, De Rossi, Mascherano, Sneijder, Marchisio, Motta, Cambiasso, Khedira, Essien, Javi Martinez

2016-present:
Modric, Kroos, Casemiero, Thiago, De Bruyne, Kante, Pogba, Rakitic, Koke, Pjanic, Saul Niguez, Goretzka, David Silva, Gabi, Henderson, Fabinho, Fernandinho

These are the midfielders of both generations I've managed to come up with. I'm sure there are players which I have missed from both eras and obvious crossover between certain players, but the drop off between the two is quite evident in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Wasn't sure where to post this; however, has anyone else noticed a steep decline in midfielder quality throughout football in this generation to the previous one? In order to demonstrate this I'll present those who I believe to have been the best and most prominent midfielders from 2005-15 and from 2016-present. I've divided them into these two intervals as I believe there was an evident change of guard around the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2016. Well here goes....

2006-2015:
Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Lampard, Schweinsteiger, Busquets, Yaya Toure, Vidal, De Rossi, Mascherano, Sneijder, Marchisio, Motta, Cambiasso, Khedira, Essien, Javi Martinez

2016-present:
Modric, Kroos, Casemiero, Thiago, De Bruyne, Kante, Pogba, Rakitic, Koke, Pjanic, Saul Niguez, Goretzka, David Silva, Gabi

These are the midfielders of both generations I've managed to come up with. I'm sure there are players which I have missed from both eras and obvious crossover between certain players, but the drop off between the two is quite evident in my opinion.
You've missed some names (no one from Liverpool and just 1 person from City for example) and sliced up the years somewhat conveniently but the main problem in your claim is that the date ranges are not equal. You are comparing 9-10 years vs 4 years worth of talent. Many top teams have young midfielders that can be huge over the next 5 years.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Everyone says tiki taka is outdated but the truth is that tiki taka was only perfect with Xavi and Iniesta. I don't think anyone has been able to replicate their style and effectiveness. That means that you get midfielders aspiring to be more like Gerrard in style, all action with goals and bulldozing opposition. There aren't many Pirlo style players either, no classic playmakers because they're not catered for in modern football. Football needs another Ronaldinho.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
An Italian team that plays in the most un-Italian way possible. Bright start from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope the ref isn't a disgrace today. One goal and this gonna be a long night for Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)