Champions League 2019/20 (21 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2013
Meunier suspended for the second leg, quietly said at the post-game conference that he was not aware that he might miss the return match by taking a yellow card.

This bonehead :touched:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Giovanni Reyna another BVB star in the making. The youngest player ever to make an assist in UCL.
There was an article on the BBC with staff members about their recruitment policy. They knew he was going to be a big star as soon as they saw him in training.

Also something interesting they said is that they had a good foreign player in the academy but because he wasn't fast enough they released him, they said the way they play meant that everyone they signed had to have speed and directness.

I think what they do works great for them, but it's a tier 2 club who don't have the desperate requirement of trophies and a CL push. You couldn't enforce their recruitment policy at a Juve, Bayern or other simila-rsized club. Still doesn't mean they can't win a title or have a deep CL run, it just means that it has to be done in a smaller window whilst a particularly good team gets some time to play together. If they were to sell a top player like Sancho or Haaland every couple of years it gets hard to maintain.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I personally count Real as one too. They did win three on the trot after all.
I wouldn't put them on fagcas level on paper. Isco-GOAT-Benzema vs MSN, much better attack. Iniesta and DA still playing at a high level etc. I'd say they were the strongest team for the duration of the MSN era, it just didn't show in the CL as much as with Real. Sadly, it clicked for them that one year :sigh:

Apr 17, 2013
I think what they do works great for them, but it's a tier 2 club who don't have the desperate requirement of trophies and a CL push. You couldn't enforce their recruitment policy at a Juve, Bayern or other simila-rsized club. Still doesn't mean they can't win a title or have a deep CL run, it just means that it has to be done in a smaller window whilst a particularly good team gets some time to play together. If they were to sell a top player like Sancho or Haaland every couple of years it gets hard to maintain.
The most beautiful and successful period of the Farca is with the Masia players, like 92'class of United. The goal is not to have 11 former players at the club, but a mix must be necessary to complete a group. If we had a good Academy, what is the point of paying Danilo 30 million + 4 million salary in view of his mediocrity, a young player would do just as well ?

The problem is the Academy system in Italy is a disaster (we have a U23 team and we recruit loser players who are over 30, what interest ?) and conservative mentalities too.
Lyon producted Benzema, Lacazette, Umtiti, Fekir, Aouar, Tolisso, Martial, Cherki... but financially it is not possible to keep them, if Juve invested seriously to improve its academy and its detection of young players, with its financial power and its appeal, it would have no trouble keeping an entire generation of great players. Marchisio is the only example, but unfortunately far too rare.

Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
My main concern is that there are a lot of teams that play at pace, counter attack, and have quality players that can hurt us. Sure, they leave spaces at the back, but will we be good enough to exploit them, and once we create chances, will we finish them?

We're vulnerable at the back because our midfield is slow and static - if our midfielders lose possession, or lose the ball in key positions, we'll be exposed more often than not.

It also doesn't help that we have an inflexible chain smoking pseudo coach guiding us. He doesn't exactly ooze charisma, inspire confidence, or instill motivation in his players.
We have the GOAT. He lives for these moments. He will pull us through.
Fino alla fine.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The most beautiful and successful period of the Farca is with the Masia players, like 92'class of United. The goal is not to have 11 former players at the club, but a mix must be necessary to complete a group. If we had a good Academy, what is the point of paying Danilo 30 million + 4 million salary in view of his mediocrity, a young player would do just as well ?

The problem is the Academy system in Italy is a disaster (we have a U23 team and we recruit loser players who are over 30, what interest ?) and conservative mentalities too.
Lyon producted Benzema, Lacazette, Umtiti, Fekir, Aouar, Tolisso, Martial, Cherki... but financially it is not possible to keep them, if Juve invested seriously to improve its academy and its detection of young players, with its financial power and its appeal, it would have no trouble keeping an entire generation of great players. Marchisio is the only example, but unfortunately far too rare.
I agree, but those instances happen for a club maybe every 50 years, or ever 10-15 for all clubs across the continent. Unfortunately the top tier clubs do it less now simply because they don't need to. They buy players. Shit, they buy youth players and pass them off as their own, just because it ticks that box for club trained status.

I think clubs like Man Utd or Barcelona will definitely keep producing players but these will be in batches of 2 or 3, it's harder to break into elite sides now. Well, Man Utd are shit but they still struggle to mass produce genuine talent like before, because they can go and spend millions to attempt fixing problems. I agree that we should do far more because there's no reason why we shouldn't be producing our own Rashford or Greenwood, but like you say it is an even more difficult task in Serie A, and as the elite club with massive salary budget and squad the chances of it happening at Juve gets less all the time. We just go and buy a Kulusevski and we're done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)