CD-writer problem (1 Viewer)

Jul 19, 2003
Yeah...another problem. :D

Ok, so I write this CD twice using Nero and it says burn completed successfully. Then I try to open it in both of my drives and it acts like there's no CD inside. The 2 CD's showed up in Disc Info on Nero though, and the drives can read other CD's properly.

What could be the problem?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
nosubstitute959
Jul 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    Ok, What I noticed is that the CD's I made are in Data (mode 1) while the ones that do work are in ISO 9660 joliet (mode 1). In Nero, an option to change modes is only available when making a data CD and those CD's that aren't recognized are burned from images.

However I looked at another CD, burned using my old pc from an image file as well (I didn't have to specify the mode), and that was also ISO 9660 joliet (mode 1).

I hope that helps someone who's more experienced define the problem for me. I'd appreciate it. :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Data mode means you write a regular filesystem on the cd and write files to it so it's just like a harddrive (read-only). Other modes are music mode for regular music cds, mixed mode gives music and some data, kodak's photo cd etc.

Next, once you decide to burn files onto a cd (in data mode) you decide on a filesystem. As far as I recall there are 3 types; joliet (iso 9660), rock ridge and udf. Most popular is joliet, which I think is required for Windows compatibility.

In other words, data mode vs joliet format are not entities of the same problem domain.

If your disc can't be read by Windows, I suppose it's possible you didn't use joliet mode, although I would find it very odd for nero to even allow that.

OP
    nosubstitute959
    Jul 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    In other words, data mode vs joliet format are not entities of the same problem domain.

I see, but in the Disc Info box, those two modes/formats were shown in the same cell, both under Mode.

If your disc can't be read by Windows, I suppose it's possible you didn't use joliet mode, although I would find it very odd for nero to even allow that.

If so, do you know how to change it to joliet?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Hang on, from image? As in iso or some other cd image format? In that case most likely the image was corrupt and now the disc can't be read.

In this case, "Data" seems to signify not so much the "data mode" I mentioned as it probably means "can't identify filesystem".

OP
    nosubstitute959
    Jul 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    Hang on, from image? As in iso or some other cd image format? In that case most likely the image was corrupt and now the disc can't be read.

In this case, "Data" seems to signify not so much the "data mode" I mentioned as it probably means "can't identify filesystem".

Thanks Martin. :) I'll try another image file.

(keep downloading Moe) :devil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)