Cassano storms out on Roma (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Cassano storms out on Roma
Wednesday 8 September, 2004

Antonio Cassano has walked out on his teammates yet again after a training ground tiff, while Roma presented new buys Mido and Philippe Mexes.

The young starlet is well known for his hot temper and tendency to flounce out of training sessions, so today’s latest incident did not surprise many onlookers.

It’s reported he was furious with assistant manager Ezio Sella after a free kick was given against him during a game between ranks. Cassano then stormed off the field and back into the dressing room.

Rudi Voller was on the sidelines, but did not try to stop the Italian international from walking away. Cassano is currently embroiled in contract renegotiations with the club, who could be forced to sell him next summer if a new deal is not ironed out.

Meanwhile, Roma held a press conference this afternoon to present their big new signings Mexes and Mido.

The Frenchman has been in training with the club since July, but will not be able to take part in any official outings for another six weeks due to a FIFA ban. His contract row with Auxerre had been on going for almost a year before Roma came in for the player and his appeal will be heard on Friday.

“I am here because Roma is a great club and I am not afraid of that responsibility,” pointed out the defender. “If I was only leaving Auxerre for the money then I had much better offers from elsewhere.”

He has some big shoes to fill, as Mexes is effectively replacing Real Madrid man Walter Samuel.

“He is a real world class player, but he is no longer here and a new generation must take over. The idea of following in his footsteps does not frighten me.”

In the light of Cassano’s latest hissy fit, it is perhaps worrying that Mido has a similar reputation for training ground rows.

“I have never started any dressing room problems,” assured the former Ajax striker. “I consider myself a professional and the rivalry with Zlatan Ibrahimovic was all dreamed up by the press. I’m sure he’ll do very well with Juventus, as I will with Roma.”

Mido will have to wait a little longer before making his Serie A debut, as he has been ruled out for around ten days with a groin injury.

“The press wrote that I was suffering from a serious inflammation, but that is false. It is just a slight muscular problem that I am recovering from. I’ll be ready for the second Serie A match of the season.”

channel4.com

Tsk tsk tsk...

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Is it wrong of me to say that I don't feel sorry not even one little bit??

Cesare is a very smart man to walk away from this disaster.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    It's ridiculous that he stormed off because of a free kick call.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

Cesare is a very smart man to walk away from this disaster.
    Agreed. Good move on Prandelli's part.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I wonder how Voller is gonna handle this team.

Anybody care to bet on how many times something like this will happen at Roma this season? :D

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I think one of the new guys made fun of his complexion, and told him that his kids could use his face to re-create the surface of the moon for an astronomy project.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I think one of the new guys made fun of his complexion, and told him that his kids could use his face to re-create the surface of the moon for an astronomy project.
    :rofl:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, I have now reached the status of immortality. My quote is being used as a signature.

I'd like to thank Antonio Cassano, NASA, the Moon, the ACNE institute of America, Oxy Clean, and dermatologists worldwide for avoiding Cassano's face, and allowing this to happen

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Well, I have now reached the status of immortality. My quote is being used as a signature.

I'd like to thank Antonio Cassano, NASA, the Moon, the ACNE institute of America, Oxy Clean, and dermatologists worldwide for avoiding Cassano's face, and allowing this to happen
    :D I had to do it Serge. Its the best quote I've heard in a while. Well done you soon to be 35 year-old homie. :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Cassano probably does want out. Capello impressed me most last season with how he was able to form a constructive relationship with him -- giving him enough room to be himself and not inhibit some of the behavior that his team needed to capitalize on. But he also did so within limits, and Cassano respected him, and mutually it seemed to work where many other coaches could fail.

Voller, on the other hand, is probably overmatched in trying to productively handle players as tantrum-ridden as Cassano and, say, Totti. Voller or Totti/Cassano may either or both be short for the world of Sensi, IMO.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    Voller, on the other hand, is probably overmatched in trying to productively handle players as tantrum-ridden as Cassano and, say, Totti. Voller or Totti/Cassano may either or both be short for the world of Sensi, IMO.
    Finally, there's Mido.. :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)