Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (81 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Put all your biases aside, in 5 years time no one outside Juve/Calcio will even remember Chiellini. Unlike Maldini, Nesta, Canna, Puyol, and yes, Ramos.
That's an exaggeration, and I know for a fact that here (UK) Chiellini is one of those players fans begrudgingly admire because of his style and longevity. But it's true that Ramos has more talent and all the trophies to go with it, so he'll go down as one of the best defenders ever. Also, he scores a lot of goals, so he's not being judged just as a defender, but as a footballer who is a defender.

Chiellini doesn't concede anything to Puyol as an individual, it's only team trophies.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Put all your biases aside, in 5 years time no one outside Juve/Calcio will even remember Chiellini. Unlike Maldini, Nesta, Canna, Puyol, and yes, Ramos.

It could be because he lacks the star factor but also because of what I've noted - lack of clutchness and perfect game when it matters most.
Just to give another example towards debunking another one of your bs narratives on him , how many CB's have had a trademark celebration since when having such a campaing with signature celebrations wasn't even a thing? King Kong rings a bell? Yeah you can lol to that all you want but you'd be surprised how many outside Italy or Juve's fanbase are aware of Chiellini, and they've heard of him for many years, and that celebration pretty much represented what he is on the pitch, an absolute beast and pain in the ass for opponents!

Also btw, that was probably the lamest attempt at downrating him i've seen recently by saying he is not as legendary as your's or other's personal preferences lmao. Maldini, Cannavaro and Ramos perhaps the only ones more recognisable by a neutral, with everyone else is a pretty narrow race and would probably differ from generation to generation, then again, quite sad how far you are willing to go with pushing this bs narrative... but even so, whether you like it or not Chiellini is still being widely regarded as one of the legendary CB's of his generation.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Chiellini has always stood out in big games compared to his defensive partners. Cant remember a single game where he singlehandedly screwed up an important final or a big game. In Euro 2012 final for example, he was playing LB while carrying an injury, in 2015 final he was suspended and in 2017, it was a collective failure. It would be really unfair to single him out for the disaster in Cardiff.
As to why he won't be fondly remembered as other defensive greats such as Nesta or Maldini would be probably more to do with his style of defending. Old school, physical, a bit clumsy but that's what made him unique at the end of the day.
He's also unfortunate to be a part of a weak/mediocre Italian generation compared to his predecessors else he would probably be having one or two international accolades by now.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
In the UK Chiellini is rated highly and certainly regarded by many as one of the best of his generation.

I think the game away to Spurs where we were backs to the walls during the second half really stood out for people.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Just for the record I dont hate Chiellini at all.
It's just my opinion that it's a mistake to renew him unless he accepts a full time sub role.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
A CL and WC winner?
DP didn't exactly light up that CL final, did he? Nor the one in 2003.

Didn't you also call Gigi - one of the most important figures in that WC winning team - a choker? Whereas DP played a minor role in that tournament

What about Euro 2000?

Not that I consider DP a choker, but yea...

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Anyone rating fucking Puyol higher than Chiellini :lol: what the actual fuck

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch... but yeah I get it. Euro final will always haunt him
Didn't he get injured like in the first half during that final ? That's how i remember it at least.

Hardly to blame for that one.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Just checked, yeah he did get injured , was substituted in 21st min, and remember he even started as a LB/LWB without even being fully fit, wasn't the best night to remember but again , hardly to blame for how that one went.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, he played and missed 2 sitters, completely messed up on both occasions
maybe you are referring to another one ?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm talking about Chiellini though , just to be clear. :lol: :tup:

Late edit: Got it now , you were reffering at that point about Del Piero. all good

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
It's just my opinion that it's a mistake to renew him unless he accepts a full time sub role.
Chiellini is better than Demiral at every aspect of the game, this shouldnt be point of dispute, so if he remains fit Id prefer better player to start. But I dont see Chiellini making trouble either way.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Del Piero waa accepting a super-sub role, while Chiellini staying will cause problems for DemiLigt's development.

- - - Updated - - -

I want the team to rejuvenate and move forward. Chiellini has had his time and honestly fucked up when it really mattered (Buffon too). Brutal truth.

- - - Updated - - -

I admit I've never been his biggest fan. He did choke in the biggest stage too many times.
Lets be honest with ourselves he never was considered the best CB in the world.
the club heavily invested in de ligt, he's our 2nd most expensive and 2nd well paid player, and his progress is going fine. with pirlo's rotation system, demiral also plays a lot when he's not injured. just like buffon, chiellini already accepted the bench role, he is intelligent enough to know his limits at his age.

chiellini missed berlin due to injury. what a shame. and in cardiff, the focal point of real's attacking moves was the other guy in the middle. i remember buffon choking against real when we lost 0-3 at home, i remember bonucci having a howler in cardiff and vs spain in the euro final, and i remember chiellini getting injured in the same final (when he was played out of position by prandelli anyway). unlucky? yes. choker? no.

he's never been the best, but he easily was among the best. as long as he feels ready to wake up early, do the regime, the training and stuff, i'm happy to have him around. we have much bigger issues than chiellini, his ego (that never ever got in the way of the team) and his relatively low salary.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yeah I dont get it why does @Elvin paint Chiellini as some kind of egomaniac. How many times has Chiellini actually complained about his status, or anything concerning Juve? I mean you can make a case about lot of players in current team, but Chiellini isnt one of them. Hes humble, proffessional, does his work... Look at Dybala for instance, if he had just a bit of Chiello's attitude, he would have done much more.

Jun 16, 2020
We are already in financial difficulties, we need to invest in the midfield. Having 4 CBs for 2 positions isn’t even that much, and we have Dragusin as 5th choice.

Chiellini is proving to be worldclass when fit so would be strange if we wouldn’t keep him.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Maybe you should try keep some of this opinions to yourself sometimes, or at least post them more rare because your timing on this rant is really lame.

You do not hate him? Then what is it about you posting about being so much better to get rid of him and repeteadly pointing out of he'd turn into a 'Khedira case' or him stagnating the growth of our young CB's? This again only right after he put in a string of MOTM performances when we needed it most, practically proving to everyone why we very much need to renew him and keep him around for at least another year if he wants to and feels ready for it. Of all times that's when you decided to return with the 'Chiellini is finished' bs narrative... seriously like wtf!?

Maybe it's better you just take a break from this thread for a while, come back when the inevitable happens again and he won't be able to respond to you on the pitch anymore, till then, simply take that negativity somewhere else, thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)