Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (54 Viewers)

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I honestly wonder whats going on with Chiellini, is he a CB or LB? And if we do get a new CB in the winter and a new LB next summer, is Chiellini heading towards the bench?

RAVANELLI

it was all a dream
Jun 4, 2011
You might remember that he is originally a left back.
So I wouldn't consider him playing out of position if that's what you're suggesting.
Anyway, this season is certainly one of his worst.

Hopefully we'll get a decent LB so he can go back with his buddy Barza to center.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Chiellini is not a LB. With the same reasoning, Pepe can be considered as a CM because Conte played him as a CM against Napoli.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
And he stayed as a CB because he is clearly better in that position.

The only reason he is LB now is because of our woeful options there. But in saying that, I wouldnt mind if he stays there til the end of the season as long as we buy a sick CB to partner Barzagli, who doesnt deserve to be dropped.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Well I'm sure you're wrong.
Maybe because you started following Juve games recently and you don't know that he used to be a left back.
It was as visible as daylight since the Capello era that Chiellini isn't a good LB, especially when going forward. In 2005, we had the likes of Cannavaro and Thuram in the CB position, so obviously he could only get playing time playing LB. Deschamps noticed his strong defending ability and we could afford to play him there since there was no competition whatsoever, and it worked out well for both parties.

I do agree that currently he's the best option we've got for the LB position. We should get a proper LB and move him back in the centre though.

RAVANELLI

it was all a dream
Jun 4, 2011
It was as visible as daylight since the Capello era that Chiellini isn't a good LB, especially when going forward. In 2005, we had the likes of Cannavaro and Thuram in the CB position, so obviously he could only get playing time playing LB. Deschamps noticed his strong defending ability and we could afford to play him there since there was no competition whatsoever, and it worked out well for both parties.

I do agree that currently he's the best option we've got for the LB position. We should get a proper LB and move him back in the centre though.
Well there's a difference between saying he's not an LB, and saying he's not a good LB.
But yeah...

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Chiellini was a leftback until Deschamps moved him to centreback because other CBs were injured.
I may be wrong, but I thought it was with Italy U21s that Chiellini first played CB with any regularity.

Even then, it was only under Ranieri that he really established himself in that position.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
My only grudge with chiello as a left back is that his passes and shooting are sub par.

He can run, and can defend like a madman....push forward is also one of his qualities...but in the 3/4 of the field....his passes are innacurate and his shooting is sub par. His is like a gamble upfront.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)