Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (47 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
He just needs someone to guide him in defense, he can do all the hard work. That's who he is, the guy getting dirty and pulling illegal shit when the ref's not looking and that's why we all love him. That's why the perfect purchase for a CB would be someone like Carvalho, but younger.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
In a league that used to be filled with Cannavaro, Nesta, Thuram, Montero, Maldini, Cafu, etc...having one good sesaon in 3, and 2 inconsistent in between isn't saying much. I love Chiellini and all, but 7-10 years ago when these other guys were dominating Europe, this league was ooozing classy defenders. Now? Hardly. If Chiellini struggles to be in the top 3-5 defenders now in Italy, I'd say there is a definite problem.
A bit unfair to compare Chiellini to that generation of defenders anyway...there's prob never been an era in any league with defenders as strong as that. In fact the standard of football these days is nowhere near what it was from late 90s to mid 2000s.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Chiellini, on his day, is a beast and top 5 in the world. It's just that he has been inconsistent, and suffered an inexplicable loss of form. I'm sure he will be back with a vengeance, and will probably be marshaling Italy to a semblance of success at the Euros.

The quality of football has drastically deteriorated since the late 90's and early 00's as you correctly stated.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
he's not inconsistent, have you ever seen him play this poorly?

just lack of confidence, Giorgone will bounce back, and there will be blood.

hopefully of the purple variety tonight.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
he's not inconsistent, have you ever seen him play this poorly?

just lack of confidence, Giorgone will bounce back, and there will be blood.

hopefully of the purple variety tonight.
:tup:

But some of our fans who play too much FIFA and PES wouldn't know a good player if it jumped out of the screen and gave them a kick up the backside.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
It's the same problem with Barzagli, look what Licht has done to his good form. Once Juve have their righteous LB, Chelini will become a CB everyone likes.

May 22, 2007
It's funny how easily some group Chiellini with the shit this squad has had for the last two seasons, without really paying attention to his individual performances in that time.

Or they have no memory whatsoever. Either one.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
It's funny how easily some group Chiellini with the shit this squad has had for the last two seasons, without really paying attention to his individual performances in that time.

Or they have no memory whatsoever. Either one.
Don't get me wrong Chiellini is a great tackler and a fighter.

Still, I clearly remember Chiellini being somewhat abysmal for a number of games last season at CB. His pairing with Bonucci was diabolical. Both were regularly caught out of position. Last year we blamed Motta for all that, this year we have no such excuse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)