Capello defends ‘struggling’ Ibra (1 Viewer)

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Category: <b>General</b><br><br>After selecting Zlatan Ibrahimovic to start in Wednesday night’s Italian Cup match at Roma, Coach Fabio Capello jumped to the defence of the under-fire striker. "He is an important player for us," he said.

Ibrahimovic has been the subject of recent criticism in the Italian Press for failing to live up to the high standards that he set for himself last term.

The 22-year-old led from the start last season, scoring 16 goals in an impressive debut campaign in Italian football.

This year, however, his progress has slowed. The Swedish international has managed just three goals, has failed to find the net since November 19 and has seen his place increasingly go to a revitalised Alessandro Del Piero.

Capello, though, insists that Ibrahimovic is still a shining light of the side and that his game offers a great deal more than scoring goals.

"Ibra is fine," he said. "He is an important player as is everyone that has played for us this season.

"He could maybe have scored one or two more goals but he has worked hard for the side and provided many assists. He has always brought something positive to the team."

The fact remains, though, that while earlier in the season Del Piero was being selected for the less glamorous matches, now it is the former Ajax man’s turn to play understudy to his captain. A role that, it seems, has not been hugely to the liking of the temperamental frontman.

"Problems here at Juventus are sorted out in-house," added Capello. "Everybody must get used to squad rotation and sometimes having to sit games out in the stands.

"But it is easy to forget things when things don’t go according to plan," continued Don Fabio.

"In Florence Ibra came off the bench when we were 2-0 down and changed the game - we came back to 2-2. He has trained well and he will play in Rome."

Used to fielding questions regarding a possible future of his own at Real Madrid, Capello then reacted to the latest speculation linking Ibrahimovic with a move to the Spanish giants.

"I’ve seen and heard it all – both on my behalf and that of other players," he said. "Buffon, Zebina and now Ibra – every day it’s another story.

"I accept it all and then go about my own business unaffected, but it seems unfair to write news that is not true."

The 59-year-old’s business takes him to the Stadio Olimpico tomorrow night where he must turn around a 3-2 deficit to the Giallorossi.

"We believe we can do it," he said. "It should be fun because the two goals we scored at home have thrown the tie wide open again.

"A 3-0 would have been very difficult but I will field a competitive side and I hope that it will be a good game."

Juventus (probable): Abbiati; Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Balzaretti; Camoranesi, Blasi, Vieira, Mutu; Zalayeta, Ibrahimovic<br><br>Source: Football Italia

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)