Canuck You: The Official Canadian thread (5 Viewers)

OP

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
  • Thread Starter #41
    Posh Ottawa neighbourhood deporting squirrels across border into Quebec

Ottawa neighbourhood deporting squirrels across border into Quebec

It’s a secret and illegal deportation that’s apparently been going on for years. To outside observers, it appear a little, well, nuts.

Some Ottawa residents are apparently spiriting their unwanted squirrels across the bridge and dumping them in neighbouring Quebec.

Daniel Sylvester of Ottawa’s posh Westboro neighbourhood said he recently noticed a squirrel in his neighbour’s humane trap and offered to let the critter go. He assumed the neighbour was trying to trap raccoons.

“He said, 'No, I’m trying to catch them all and bring them to Quebec because they can’t cross the bridge.’”

“The bridge” is the kilometre-long span that connects the community to Gatineau, Que., across the Ottawa River.

Squirrels have a reputation in folklore of returning when removed, unless they are taken across a body of water.

The animals have been getting into people’s homes in the neighbourhood, Sylvester said. “I think the easiest thing would be to fix your house.”

The practice, which is apparently well-known, but which few would admit to a reporter, raises several questions.

“Are they French speaking squirrels?” (This from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.)

Is the practice even legal? In fact, it’s not. Ontario has a law forbidding people from moving wildlife more than one kilometre. It’s designed to prevent the spread of animal diseases.

Environmental consultant Dan Brunton suggests it is “illegal in a whole bunch of ways, both in Ontario and in Quebec.”

“It’s a fruitless and possibly cruel thing to do, even if the … rodents stay where you’ve put them. If there’s habitat there for a well-established species like this to survive, members of that species will already be occupying it.”

That means squirrels transplanted to Quebec have to fight their way into new territory or die.

“The solution is to get used to it,” he concludes. “Squirrels will be with us as long as we have trees and bird feeders.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    I know that feel all too well, first few years I lived in Edmonton, I was very disgusted about everything around me. Mind you I was moving from out east in Ottawa, to a fucking ranch. It was the first time I've seen an aboriginal person, never seen a single one of 'em out east that shocked the shit out of me, specially seeing in which state they were in and how they were demonized and looked down upon by EVERY ethnicity around.

As a matter of fact, their oppression is accepted to the point were there is a mural in one of the main train station of the city, portraying an old white couple in a suburban '70's neighborhood with native kids, they were straight up openly embracing the gruesome history of the residential schools that ripped today's natives of all their culture and language. And today they "made" up for it by putting up a gimmickish native art on the opposing wall.

Canadians in general are flaccid and passive people. However whatever I may say about this country, it has raised me and it exposed me to a ridiculous amount of diversity. So chapeau to Canada, mais je pisse dans ce chapeau a la con!
    The one place I do really like is Ottawa, so I can imagine the feeling, and Edmonton has always sounded a bit grim.

Flaccid and passive, yes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a good observation.

OP

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
  • Thread Starter #47
    Ottawa, Quebec city, those are nice cities for me.

Montreal is awesome for studying, partying, etc. but ultimately it's also decadent sometimes.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for Céline Dion and Justin Bieber. At least we gave you Howie Mandel and William Shatner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)