• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Dominic Raynor
Archive

It would seem that nothing in Italy is ever simple. On the face of it AC Milan's courting of World Player of the Year Fabio Cannavaro, currently with Real Madrid, appears a simple ploy to rescue the out of form Italian defender from Spain whilst strengthening the Rossoneri in one swoop.

That is not the case. Or at least that's what the conspiracy loving Italian media, and lets face it we all love a twisted plot, would have us believe. Milan are only chasing Cannavaro so that they can buy Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. Confused? Let me explain.

Two-years ago Milan agreed to send Christian Abbiati on-loan to Turin to cover for the then-injured goalkeeper Buffon, during negotiations the two clubs agreed to a 'pact' that would give Milan first option on the Bianconeri's top-rated keeper. However, despite Juve's relegation to Serie B last summer the Turin club managed to retain the services of the 29-year-old and their 'pact' fizzled out of existence.

Milan president Silvio Berlusconi, a man used to getting his own way as both media mogul and former Italian Prime Minister, has subsequently told his directors Adriano Galliani and Ariedo Braida that he still wants Gigi to play for him at the San Siro - whatever the cost.

By bidding for Cannavaro, who signed for Madrid from relegated Juve in the summer, Milan are hoping to force his former club, whose remaining stars have demanded the purchase of marquee players upon their imminent return to Serie A, into a bidding war for the Juve fans' favourite. Milan will then offer to withdraw their interest in Cannavaro if Juve allow them to open talks with Buffon.

The Azzurri goalkeeper has already stated he won't open negotiations to renew his contract with Juve until promotion from Serie B is secured and Milan sense this is their opportunity to snap up the World Cup winner.

It's a plan that's so obvious when you think about it. Simplicity is the key, or should that be complexity?

The one glaring variable that seems to have been overlooked in the master plan is Real Madrid's role in all this. Plus Cannavaro's desire to leave the crumbling empire that was once saddled with the sobriquet Los Galacticos, and his desire is slowly becoming clear.

It would appear that even a defender capable of captaining his country to an unlikely World Cup victory against the back-drop of Serie A's high profile match-fixing scandal is incapable of taming the hoodoo that blights Real Madrid's rear-guard. and has kiboshed the careers of many before him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

AzzurriGirl

Jul 23, 2006
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. It goes without saying that I'd love to see Canna back at Juve. Not only for his defensive qualities but also for his leadership and command of the defensive line. He's still a great defender although his play at Real has not been perfect...he's way better than what we have now and we need him. Everytime I see Boumsong at CB I want to cry :cry: :cry: and my heart is in my throat. Canna is just suffering the Real defensive curse. Personally, I believe his heart is in Italy and he'd love to come back...maybe Juve, maybe Napoli but I don't see him with Milan.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. It goes without saying that I'd love to see Canna back at Juve. Not only for his defensive qualities but also for his leadership and command of the defensive line. He's still a great defender although his play at Real has not been perfect...he's way better than what we have now and we need him. Everytime I see Boumsong at CB I want to cry :cry: :cry: and my heart is in my throat. Canna is just suffering the Real defensive curse. Personally, I believe his heart is in Italy and he'd love to come back...maybe Juve, maybe Napoli but I don't see him with Milan.
Taking Cannavaro back wouldn't be a smart move. He didn't chose Real Madrid to return to Juve, It's a fact and we should face It.

On the other note, EVEN If he requested to join Juve, I don't think It would be such a good Idea.

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
I still want him back. I believe he is can get back to level of his performance at juve. at least close to that level. and he is still the best compairing to our current defender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)