Cannabis Debate (1 Viewer)

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

That is true but if a problem seems unfixibile there's also a culture of walking away from it, seeing if it maybe will dissolve on its own. The teenage pregnancy thing took a while for anyone to take real interest in didn't it? Same with the drug issue.

The cocaine and heroine problems are connected to soft drug issues, that's the point! Criminal organisations, drug smugglers all use all versions of drugs. By tolerating/legalising soft drugs, a huge source of income for these organisations disappears. And the government then uses the income from the soft drug sellings to set up intensive never-ending marketing campaigns to warn about hard drugs.
I dont see the logic in that at all and this certainly wouldnt work here. Take these drugs to stop you from taking these worse drugs? If cannabis was legalised, how long before people want to try the next thing? Thats exactly what would happen.

Of that soft drugs money; clinics have also been founded where anyone can walk in and ask for help to quit drugs of any sort without risking any form of prosecution.
They already exist.

This combination has caused the drug addict/usage rate to drop immensely in the Netherlands. Now you're telling me the 'cannabis culture in Holland isn't nice at all'? It's saving thousands of lives for god's sake!
And kids aren't allowed to smoke it. Just with ordinary cigarettes and alcohol - the age limit is 16.
Again I dont see that working. When its legalized and freely available more people, particulary young people, will be smoking it and more often. Age limits are pointless as shown by 13 year olds easily purchasing cigs. Government can do what they want to enforce that but there is always the shop keeper who dosent mind or the older kid who will get it.

Even so; research has also shown kids are a lot less excited about it now that it's legal. Legalising it has taken away the fun apparently.
Exactly the fun of weed is gone. English kids will move on to something else.

All im saying is it wont work in our culture. The points you make are all well and good but they dont transfer to England, particulary our youth.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
And I already stated that might well be true. I haven't lived in the UK long enough to make a judgment comparable in credibility to yours on the matter.

But it's working for Holland and it's literally saving lives so that comment of yours that the 'culture isn't nice' just stung me. That's all really.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
First of all, you obviously don't know anything about what you're talking about. Police in most countries take possession of cannabis very seriously. Secondly, if you are bored by the debate, then get out of it.
Im talking about my country and they dont take it seriously at all. I should know police have confiscated cannabis of partys we have had many times. They take it and leave. River has been caught with cannabis many times, not once has she even had a warning. The UK recently downgraded the drug's class also, right?

But yeah I probably know nothing about this because unlike you I dont study it or make it a life time goal.

No, not everyone mixes it with tobacco. Usually, cannabis is only mixed with tobacco when rolled in a joint or smoked out of a hookah. Get some education on the topic...
I was talking mainly about public use. No one cares how you smoke it at home, thats not our problem. Using a joint is the only logical way to smoke it should you be in a public place so there will be tobacco. Besides smoking it in a joint is by far the most popular method, the other methods are insignificant in relation.

Who the **** do you think you are? What gives you the right to judge people? And why do you discrinimate based on age?
Im not judging people, I was saying what I hate. Its called opinion and my right to say it is my right alone.

Lennon didn't die, he was assassinated
Oh shut up. He still died didnt he. Jesus. I know he was killed. You think I could live in Liverpool and not hear about it to much?

and the flower generation died when cynical, ignorant, self-absorbed idiots like you became you majority.
Your own advise first:
Who the **** do you think you are? What gives you the right to judge people?
Now whos self absorbed here? The girl who smokes weed but sees the bigger picture and thinks it shouldnt be legalized, or the 30 something weed head whos probably high when he posted this and wants weed legalized as a convience to himself?

Take a look at Eriks post and learn how to discuss.

OP
Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #87
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++

I dont see the logic in that at all and this certainly wouldnt work here. Take these drugs to stop you from taking these worse drugs? If cannabis was legalised, how long before people want to try the next thing? Thats exactly what would happen.

People need to stop thinking weed is a gateway drug. It isnt. Only if you let it be it is.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++

People need to stop thinking weed is a gateway drug. It isnt. Only if you let it be it is.
    Of course it is. One thing leads to another. The majority will let it be, thats the problem.

OP
    Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #89
    No, it isnt. Research has proved that it isnt. I read that 96 percent of heroin users have used cannabis, but only a small percentage of cannabis users have ever used anything harder. Once again, its only like that if you let it be like that.

Jul 12, 2002
    Im talking about my country and they dont take it seriously at all. I should know police have confiscated cannabis of partys we have had many times. They take it and leave. River has been caught with cannabis many times, not once has she even had a warning. The UK recently downgraded the drug's class also, right?

But yeah I probably know nothing about this because unlike you I don’t study it or make it a life time goal.
    The reason that it is not taken seriously, in your country is because it has been downgraded. Before that, it was a serious matter. And you don't know anything about it because you accept your own ignorance.

I was talking mainly about public use. No one cares how you smoke it at home, thats not our problem. Using a joint is the only logical way to smoke it should you be in a public place so there will be tobacco. Besides smoking it in a joint is by far the most popular method, the other methods are insignificant in relation.
    You admit yourself that you don't know about the topic, so why continue to act like you do. World-wide, joints are no longer the most popular method of smoking. Furthermore, Europe is the only place where it is common to mix tobacco with cannabis in a joint.

Im not judging people, I was saying what I hate. Its called opinion and my right to say it is my right alone.
    You are judging people. To say that you hate is to judge and to judge based upon someone's use of a substance you know nothing about is ignorant.

Oh shut up. He still died didnt he. Jesus. I know he was killed. You think I could live in Liverpool and not hear about it to much?
    You don't get it. There is a reason that "died", "killed", and "assassinated" are all different words. To say that he died, or that he was killed is to ignore the political and social ramifications and motives for his death.

Your own advise first:
    You have judged people based upon their use of a substance that you know very little about. I have come my conclusions about you based upon all of the information available to me.

Now whos self absorbed here? The girl who smokes weed but sees the bigger picture and thinks it shouldnt be legalized, or the 30 something weed head whos probably high when he posted this and wants weed legalized as a convience to himself?
    Get a ****ing clue. I started using cannabis for medical purposes. I suffer from a medical condition known as glaucoma. Without the use of medicinal cannabis, I would be blind.

Through my use of cannabis I have seen that it is a very positive substance and for me, the use of cannabis is a very spiritual thing. To continue to make cannabis illegal is to discriminate against a group of people who do something which harms no one and is not even dangerous to themselves. That's why I want cannabis legalized, not for myself, but because it is right. I can smoke all I want; legalization would not add convenience for me.

And yet, you want to keep it illegal because you are ignorant to its positives affects and the lack of negative affects. And you are cynical in that you think that people who want cannabis legalized are only in it for themselves. And you are an idiot because you continue to argue a point where you don't know enough about the topic to carry the dialogue.

Jul 12, 2002
    Of course it is. One thing leads to another. The majority will let it be, thats the problem.
    Actually, the studies that showed that cannabis ws a "gateway drug", was based upon the fact that a large portion of people who use hard drugs, used cannabis first. While this may seem like it indicates that cannabis is a gateway drug, it's not true. If you look at the statistics, the overwhelming majority of people who use cannabis do not use hard drugs. Furthermore, there is no evidence to suggest that legalizing cannabis would increase hard drug use.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
    I just want to get high with Ian.

Is that so wrong???

Let me know when you're back here in the New World.
    :LOL: That's actually kind of funny, because last time I was there I got in a bit of trouble over possession of cannabis, and they don't really want me back any time soon...But, I think that my lawyers will take care of that...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

:LOL: That's actually kind of funny, because last time I was there I got in a bit of trouble over possession of cannabis, and they don't really want me back any time soon...But, I think that my lawyers will take care of that...
    But officer, I need this weed for my eyes, I can't see without it.

Son, they're barely open as it is.

See!!! Imagine if I WASN'T so high right now:D

Emma

Mar 4, 2004

The reason that it is not taken seriously, in your country is because it has been downgraded. Before that, it was a serious matter. And you don't know anything about it because you accept your own ignorance.

You admit yourself that you don't know about the topic, so why continue to act like you do. World-wide, joints are no longer the most popular method of smoking. Furthermore, Europe is the only place where it is common to mix tobacco with cannabis in a joint.

You are judging people. To say that you hate is to judge and to judge based upon someone's use of a substance you know nothing about is ignorant.

You don't get it. There is a reason that "died", "killed", and "assassinated" are all different words. To say that he died, or that he was killed is to ignore the political and social ramifications and motives for his death.

You have judged people based upon their use of a substance that you know very little about. I have come my conclusions about you based upon all of the information available to me.

Get a ****ing clue. I started using cannabis for medical purposes. I suffer from a medical condition known as glaucoma. Without the use of medicinal cannabis, I would be blind.

Through my use of cannabis I have seen that it is a very positive substance and for me, the use of cannabis is a very spiritual thing. To continue to make cannabis illegal is to discriminate against a group of people who do something which harms no one and is not even dangerous to themselves. That's why I want cannabis legalized, not for myself, but because it is right. I can smoke all I want; legalization would not add convenience for me.

And yet, you want to keep it illegal because you are ignorant to its positives affects and the lack of negative affects. And you are cynical in that you think that people who want cannabis legalized are only in it for themselves. And you are an idiot because you continue to argue a point where you don't know enough about the topic to carry the dialogue.
    There is as many professional people who say of the negative effects of cannabis as those who claim there isnt any. Do you know? Oh yeah your a doctor, forgot about that :rolleyes:

I do know enough about the topic. My opinions are based on what affects me, thats the UK. You keep ranting about Europe, I havent mentioned another nation.
    You live in the UK, you think you'd know what its like.

Scientific cures my ass. Legalize weed and all problems, especially with our (again thats UK) youth will double. Come out of your room and look around the place you live.

Kids already smoke it on the streets. The same youth that beat people up and steal cars for fun. UK drink driving levels are higher than most. Its only logical to assume people will get high and drive. And did you miss the research that claims the drug increases the chances of suffering from mental problems in later life? Cannabis is also an addictive which cant be compared to smoking tobacco. Cannabis ****s people up, or havent you seen that either.

Its all well and good for your medical condition, good for you. But before you call me ignorant and say I know nothing on the subject look at the points ive made, all revelent and look at your random crap. You have nothing to say but say how im wrong.

Why am I wrong? Show me why you disagree. Remember its your vice, not your mother im disregarding so stop acting like someone took your candy.

Jul 12, 2002
    There is as many professional people who say of the negative effects of cannabis as those who claim there isnt any. Do you know? Oh yeah your a doctor, forgot about that :rolleyes:
    I'm not a medical doctor, so don't get your panties in a twist...
    That is categorically untrue. If you look at the relative negative affects of cannabis compared to legal drugs, you will notice that there are none. If you don't understand what I mean, get a dictionary.

I do know enough about the topic. My opinions are based on what affects me, thats the UK. You keep ranting about Europe, I havent mentioned another nation.
    You live in the UK, you think you'd know what its like.
    This thread and the debate in general refer to the world, not just your corner. Furthermore, I travel a lot and maintain residences in several nations, not just the UK. I do live in the UK, and I do know what it's like. I've paid fines, I've been arrested, and I've been harassed because of my cannabis use, so don't try to tell me how things are or aren't.

Scientific cures my ass. Legalize weed and all problems, especially with our (again thats UK) youth will double. Come out of your room and look around the place you live.
    How is that? Why will they double, because people who want to partake of cannabis will be able to do so freely without harassment from the government? How is that going to make the youth suddenly become twice as "bad" as they are now?

Kids already smoke it on the streets. The same youth that beat people up and steal cars for fun. UK drink driving levels are higher than most. Its only logical to assume people will get high and drive. And did you miss the research that claims the drug increases the chances of suffering from mental problems in later life? Cannabis is also an addictive which cant be compared to smoking tobacco. Cannabis ****s people up, or havent you seen that either.
    I know youths in my neighborhood of London, and I have smoked with some of them, and I have talked with others who don't smoke, and I've got to tell you that the one's who smoke are not the ones who steal cars and beat people up for fun. They smoke cannabis and hang out for fun. It is indeed logical to assume that people will get high and drive, but you have to take into account that the most dangerous drivers on the road aren't drunk drivers or high drivers, they are sleep deprived drivers. Just because something is potentially dangerous when combined with an automobile is no reason for it to be illegal. Would you be in favour of making alchohol illegal?

I am not aware of any study which has proven that cannabis causes "mental problems", but I'd be interested to learn more, do you have any further information on the topic?

Cannabis can absolutely be compare to tobacco. Nicotine is addictive in a physical and psychological way. Cannabis is only addictive psycologically, and only when used in large doses. How exactly does cannabis "fvck people up"?

++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++Its all well and good for your medical condition, good for you. But before you call me ignorant and say I know nothing on the subject look at the points ive made, all revelent and look at your random crap. You have nothing to say but say how im wrong.
    You don't know nearly enough about the subject to make an informed argument.

Why am I wrong? Show me why you disagree. Remember its your vice, not your mother im disregarding so stop acting like someone took your candy.
    Why are you wrong? Because all of your arguments are reasons to make it illegal. You say that it would cause the youth to be more of a problem, but there is no evidence to suggest that you are correct in that assertion. You say that cannabis has negative affects that should prevent it from being legalized, but those negative affects are far less than those of legal drugs and there are many positive affects to cannabis use that you conveniently ignore.

Furthermore, it is not "my vice". Like I said before, it is medicine for me and for a lot of my friends it is a recreational substance. I'm acting like you are spreading ignorance and cynicism, because you are.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    How is that? Why will they double, because people who want to partake of cannabis will be able to do so freely without harassment from the government? How is that going to make the youth suddenly become twice as "bad" as they are now?
    Simple. Kids who are high do cause alot of problems. I know this from experience, not statistics. Ive had trouble with them in the past but River has had alot more problems in london.

I know youths in my neighborhood of London, and I have smoked with some of them, and I have talked with others who don't smoke, and I've got to tell you that the one's who smoke are not the ones who steal cars and beat people up for fun.
    Youve spoken to some kids in your neighbourhood and smoked with them?
    First, how responsible. Second how can that small group of kids make you make that assumption? You obviously dont know british youth very well. Im not talking about the kids who smoke and listen to lynyrd skynyrd. Im talking about the 'scallies' if you will.

It is indeed logical to assume that people will get high and drive, but you have to take into account that the most dangerous drivers on the road aren't drunk drivers or high drivers, they are sleep deprived drivers. Just because something is potentially dangerous when combined with an automobile is no reason for it to be illegal. Would you be in favour of making alchohol illegal?
    Come on, we are all beyond the alcohol comparison already. We have that problem which we cant deal with, lets add another because we have first one.

I am not aware of any study which has proven that cannabis causes "mental problems", but I'd be interested to learn more, do you have any further information on the topic?
    It was all over the news, shouldnt be to hard to find. It dosent cause mental problems, it greatly increases the chances of some people having mental problems in future, those with mental problems in the family should certainly stop. Have a look around and you'll find it.

Cannabis can absolutely be compare to tobacco. Nicotine is addictive in a physical and psychological way. Cannabis is only addictive psycologically, and only when used in large doses.
    The affect of tobacco is nothing like the affect of Cannabis. Tobacco isnt a mind altering drug. You're not going to lose control from smoking tobacco, you're not going to pass out.

How exactly does cannabis "fvck people up"?
    Smoke large doses of cannabis for some time and you'll see. You have to remember not everyone is as controlled in their use as you are.

You don't know nearly enough about the subject to make an informed argument.
    Yeah right, so you keep telling me. You havent exactly shown us all how big an expert you are. Stop telling me I dont know and respond with a decent argument or else agree to disagree.

but those negative affects are far less than those of legal drugs and there are many positive affects to cannabis use that you conveniently ignore.
    What positive effects? Medical reasons? Sure, the UK are already considering making it available to those who need it for medical purposes. Therefore legalizing it for that purpose isnt necessary.

What other super reasons have you got for legalizing it that defeat the negative points I have said over and over?

Jul 12, 2002
    Youve spoken to some kids in your neighbourhood and smoked with them?
    First, how responsible. Second how can that small group of kids make you make that assumption? You obviously dont know british youth very well. Im not talking about the kids who smoke and listen to lynyrd skynyrd. Im talking about the 'scallies' if you will.
    I don't think that smoking cannabis is wrong, so I don't think that it's irresponsible to smoke with them. Furthermore, kids are going to cause trouble whether or not they smoke. Cannabis does not make you violent nor does it make you aggressive. In fact, it has the opposite affects.

Come on, we are all beyond the alcohol comparison already. We have that problem which we cant deal with, lets add another because we have first one.
    My point is that if you accept that people have the right to chose whether or not to use alchohol and you accept that people are in general responsible enough to handle the responsibilities associated with alchohol use, then you should feel the same way about cannabis. The affects of cannabis are not nearly as bad as the affects of alchohol.

It was all over the news, shouldnt be to hard to find. It dosent cause mental problems, it greatly increases the chances of some people having mental problems in future, those with mental problems in the family should certainly stop. Have a look around and you'll find it.
    Upon reading up on it a bit I've come to the conclusion that this study does not support what you said that it did. It says that regular use of cannabis increases the likelihood of depression after several years. To me, it is more likely that this depression is caused by the fact that society does not accept cannabis use, and that causes depression, rather than the cannabis itself.

The affect of tobacco is nothing like the affect of Cannabis. Tobacco isnt a mind altering drug. You're not going to lose control from smoking tobacco, you're not going to pass out.
    You're not going to "lose control" from cannabis either. I don't know where you got that from. And I've never passed out from cannabis use, but I have passed out after smoking a heavy cigar.

Smoke large doses of cannabis for some time and you'll see. You have to remember not everyone is as controlled in their use as you are.
    I've smoked at least once per day for years and years now. And, I smoke upwards of a half ounce of high quality cannabis, daily. If you don't know, that's a huge amount. During this time, I did things like get several university degrees. So, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about...

Yeah right, so you keep telling me. You havent exactly shown us all how big an expert you are. Stop telling me I dont know and respond with a decent argument or else agree to disagree.
    I haven't shown what a big expert I am? I have more experience with cannabis than anyone on this forum. I'm highly involved with NORML, I've worked on University research teams. I've grown cannabis, and I've used cannabis more and for longer than most anyone I know. That's where I draw my arguments from, where do you draw yours from?

What positive effects? Medical reasons? Sure, the UK are already considering making it available to those who need it for medical purposes. Therefore legalizing it for that purpose isnt necessary.
    No. I mean that cannabis has many spiritual and psychological affects which are positive and important. These include an openning of the mind to new possibilities, a deeper understanding of the natural world, and a general increase of well-being.

What other super reasons have you got for legalizing it that defeat the negative points I have said over and over?
    My point is that I think your negative points are either invalid (those that aren't true), or that they do not adequately make a case for cannabis to be illegal. You take a stance that the status quo is correct and that I should have to justifiy changing it, all the while, the status quo came about through misinformation, discrimination, and ignorance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)