Camoranesi to pick Italy (1 Viewer)

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
And something else:

Baggio angry over Camoranesi preference
Posted by Sarah | Wednesday, February 5 2003

Roberto Baggio has criticised Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni for considering Argentine Mauro Camoranesi ahead of him.

Baggio had hoped to be called up after injury forced Alessandro Del Piero's withdrawal from the current squad, but it is highly unlikely that the veteran will be brought in.

Trapattoni has been criticised for overlooking veteran Baggio on several other occasions - most notably in his World Cup 2002 squad.

The 35-year-old Brescia man is still one of the most influential figures in the Italian top-flight, and feels worthy of a place ahead of Camoranesi.

The Juventus winger holds dual nationality and had delayed a decision on his international future - despite Trapattoni's insistence that he will cap him if he chooses Italy.

"If that happens [Camoranesi call up] then I will go and play for Argentina," joked Baggio.

"I feel great and it's a pleasure to be held in esteem by so many great coaches, but at the end of the day the decision is down to Trapattoni.

"I'm in good form and I know I will be able to improve and add maturity - but I also felt good on the eve of the World Cup.

Source: Planet Football @ Feb 05, 2003

-S-

OP

nina

Feb 18, 2001
  • Thread Starter #66
    Roberto Baggio admits that an international recall for the Portugal friendly is unlikely despite an outcry for his inclusion.

The 36-year-old has been in sparkling form of late and won much praise on Saturday as he scored a splendid volley in the 4-1 win at Piacenza.

But the former Juventus legend maintains that even his good form won’t be enough for an Azzurri return in the February 12 friendly.

"I’m in really good shape both physically and mentally," said the classy attacking midfielder.

"I’m happy that so many people are appreciating what I’m doing on the pitch but I still have the same problem - the national boss is Giovanni Trapattoni."

Trap’s relationship with Baggio has turned somewhat frosty after the tactician decided to not call-up the player for the 2002 World Cup Finals.

But the Italian is remaining in good spirits and sparked a few smiles when asked about Mauro Camoranesi’s decision to play for Italy and not Argentina.

"If Camoranesi has decided to play for Italy then I think I might play for Argentina instead," he joked.

Football Italia

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    Nina!!! I love that quote in your siggy *happy sigh* I could just watch A Walk to Remember over and over and over again ....

Nekton, yeah, that could be very possible...

-S-

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    A walk To Remember? :undecide:
    Um, yeah, y'know the movie starring Mandy Moore and that guy (for the life of me I can't seem to remember his name) ... Love story. She spoke those words and I was like...awwwww....

And there's a book about it too...by Nicholas Sparks, I think :undecide:

-S-

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -S- ] ++

Um, yeah, y'know the movie starring Mandy Moore and that guy (for the life of me I can't seem to remember his name) ... Love story. She spoke those words and I was like...awwwww....

And there's a book about it too...by Nicholas Sparks, I think :undecide:

-S-
    That's part of the Bible, St Paul's "List do Koryntian" - Letter to ... Koryntian (spelling) :)

Sorry, forgot to add: this is always used during wedding - at least always here - as words of love

OP

nina

Feb 18, 2001
  • Thread Starter #74
    Yes it's from the Bible and from the book also, sorry I forgot the title there for a moment :) You should read the book Sarah, I don't know about the movie, but since the book is almost always better ... :D It's the saddest thing I ever read, cried throughout the whole book :sob:

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    Indeed it is :)

Edited:

nina, thanks for the recommendations. I actually wanted to buy that book last year, but it became out-of-stock on its first week of release :eek: Many people said the book is really good, much better than the movie. I saw the movie about a dozen times, I cried everytime I watch it *sob*

-S-

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I think it's not so nice that Camo will play 4 Italy.
    He will be useful cause he's the best in his role, but isn't nice 4 Italy and especially 4 Camo; cause if he play one match 4 Italy he will not be allowed to play 4 his nation anymore... I think he took this decision cause he was pressed by Moggi, that wanted to avoid him all the trips South American usually do 4 their NT.
    IMO it is sad 4 Camo...

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Francesco Toldo has blasted Mauro Camoranesi's decision to play for Italy.

Many pundits and players from Italy and Argentina have publicly opposed the South American’s choice of the Azzurri shirt above that of his home nation.

“I only hope Camoranesi’s is an isolated incident,” commented Azzurri second choice ‘keeper Toldo. “All I say is keep Italy for the Italians.”

“The team must be representative of its national identity,” continued the Inter star. “To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he has Italian great grandparents, is a delicate situation that must be evaluated.”

Camoranesi is eligible to play for either nation due to his Italian heritage, but it is believed he only chose Giovanni Trapattoni’s outfit because Argentina hesitated in picking him for international duty.

“If Camoranesi is chosen,” added Toldo, “then nothing would change for me and I would adapt to the situation. But I think this could prove difficult for the fans to identify with.”

This is the latest voice in a chorus of disapproval that includes Gabriel Batistuta, Paolo Di Canio and Mathias Almeyda.

Buffon#1

Jan 2, 2003
    I've just read 3 negative reactions about Camoranesi's choice.
    Di Canio,Toldo and Batistuta.

Di Canio is against Camo.He said that no Argentine player should play for italy.Well....Di Canio is an old crapy player,whose club is the last one on the English Premiership table.

Toldo:"I only hope Camoranesi's is an isolated incident.All I say is keep Italy for the Italians.The team must be representative of its national identity. To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he has Italian great grandparents, is a delicate situation that must be evaluated."
    That is also understandable.Toldo will never get #1 T-shirt in Italy squad.He is about 33 if i am not mistaken.Buffon is much younger and more promisive.

Batistuta more or less was neutral by saying:" I would never do that".
    LOOOL!!!!Gabriel is not needed even by Argentina squad.He can`t score in simple situation.

My opinion is that they all are jelaous.
    I would love to see what would Toldo said if Camoranesi would be an Inter player!!!

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Somebody should tell Toldo to SHUT UP AND SIT THE BENCH !!!!

Since when did a backup goalkeeper become a coach anyways ???!!

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
    I think it's not so nice that Camo will play 4 Italy.
    He will be useful cause he's the best in his role, but isn't nice 4 Italy and especially 4 Camo; cause if he play one match 4 Italy he will not be allowed to play 4 his nation anymore... I think he took this decision cause he was pressed by Moggi, that wanted to avoid him all the trips South American usually do 4 their NT.
    IMO it is sad 4 Camo...
    *cough*

Mauro Camoranesi has received his first call-up to the Italy squad and is already looking forward to the 2006 World Cup.

The Argentine-born winger has chosen the Azzurri and will make his debut in Wednesday’s friendly against Portugal, to be played at Genoa’s Stadio Ferraris.

“I hope it is the first step in a long career with the Azzurri shirt. A sportsman must set himself goals and the biggest achievement is the World Cup. I want to lift it for Italy.”

“I am enthusiastic about playing with the Azzurri shirt,” said the Juventus man. “I made this decision two months ago, but it was never really a choice between Argentina and Italy as Coach Marcelo Bielsa never contacted me.”

“The decision was merely between accepting Giovanni Trapattoni’s call or not. I am happy to play here because it was Italian football that got the best out of my career,”
    he added.

This move has not pleased everyone and several players – including Francesco Toldo – have bitterly criticised his decision.

“I hope to find a good atmosphere in the Italy camp and will not let myself get involved with what the press has been saying about me.”

Gabriel Batistuta also commented that he would never have turned his back on his country.

“I respect everyone’s opinion, but when it comes down to it each man must make his own decisions.”

Nonetheless, Camoranesi did confirm that this has not been an easy time for him.

“Let us say it was a difficult decision to make, but at the same time it was easy because only one nation ever really wanted me. Don’t forget I only ever played football for one year in Argentina.”

Camoranesi made his professional debut with Mexican outfit Santos in 1996, then spent a year in the Argentine first division with Banfield before a return to Mexico with Cruz Azul.

He made the move to Italy in 2000-01 for Verona, the club that still owns half his contract, and hit the big time this season at Juventus.

“Trapattoni called me before the Winter break,” he revealed, “and I thought about it for a few days before accepting his offer. This is a golden opportunity for my career and I am enthusiastic about this new adventure.”

Source: Football Italia @ Feb 08, 2003

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)