Buying a laptop. Need advice. (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Hey guys,
Am considering getting myself a new laptop. Got an existign one (Compaq Presario 1650), thats ancient and i barely ever use because of limitations in the config. More used to my pc coz its quicker. But now am considering getting myself a laptop, and though they dont come cheap in India (am sure that maybe the case all over the world, as well, but whatever)...I'm getting a good deal on a new laptop. Even though the work im oging to be doing is primarily text based applications (always have my ps2 for gaming), i wanted some feedback from the tech geeks around here, about their thoughts on this config. Am getting this for about 30,000 rupees, which is about 550 USD. So the value for money is definitely there.

However, not an intel processor to start with...the brand of Laptop isnt renowned the world over either but it comes with a 1 year warranty all the same.

VIA 1Ghz
256 MB Ram
40 GB HDD
48 x CD rom drive
Built in LAN-Modem
14 inch TFT screen

For 4gs more am getting an Acer:
Config as follows: Linux based system:

The Aspire 1362 NLC is an entry-level notebook and equipped with a 15 inch TFT screen. It is powered by an AMD 2800 Sempron processor and is run by the AMD PowerNow! ) technology which enables the user to enjoy a battery life of close to three hours.

The notebook has a 256 MB DDR RAM and 40 GB HDD. It offers good connectivity with four USB ports, along with a 24 X CD RW +DVD-Combo optical drive. Also part of the notebook is the 56K Fax and integrated LAN.

Speak now. Or forever hold your piece. (If i end up buying one of these, that is.)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
This is a list I made a few months ago... but I think what really matters most is a solid product. In a stationary PC you can replace faulty parts, with a laptop you're stuck with what you have. So for that reason it might be a good idea to go with a brand. I've heard good things about Acer myself.

Most important in a laptop
  1. battery life
  2. noise level
  3. big enough screen to satisfy your needs (always check maximum resolution)
  4. Intel Centrino for low power consumption and frequency scaling
  5. enough memory (512MB should be plenty)
  6. a big enough harddrive to hold whatever you need
  7. cdrw/dvdrw for backup if you need it[/list=1]

OP
baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yea but both come with a 1 year warranty. I think if the product sustains itself in that time, it will come good after that as well. Leaving the brand name aside, they're selling well in India because of the price. But above all, Id like to know if that config is pretty decent for the money im paying. So far, ive been made to believe so, from the few geeks ive got to review it.

PS: Oh yes, and as regards the battery, the ACI (first option) comes with a lithium ion battery, which i think would do a pretty good job. Say what?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Yeah I suppose it is decent value for money but just as long as it's quality stuff that will last of course. Of course the warranty will be valuable. Within a year of purchase, my harddrive died and I got it replaced. I also notice the keyboard has acquired a few quirks, I still have time to take it in before my warranty runs out. And mine's from a reputably excellent brand..

I don't really know anything about batteries but I've learnt that if you take the advertised battery time and cut it in half, you have a decent estimate of how long it will run after a few [dozen] cycles. The advertised battery times are all scams, I can't even get that mileage booting into the bios and leaving it idle with the lid closed.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    baggio 550 USD is fair for the laptop, considering ur using it for text applications, the configurations are more than enough and the price is reasonable...

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Yeah I suppose it is decent value for money but just as long as it's quality stuff that will last of course. Of course the warranty will be valuable. Within a year of purchase, my harddrive died and I got it replaced. I also notice the keyboard has acquired a few quirks, I still have time to take it in before my warranty runs out. And mine's from a reputably excellent brand..

I don't really know anything about batteries but I've learnt that if you take the advertised battery time and cut it in half, you have a decent estimate of how long it will run after a few [dozen] cycles. The advertised battery times are all scams, I can't even get that mileage booting into the bios and leaving it idle with the lid closed.
    Your definitely right abt the battery. But with reviews speaking admirably for both products, i think its fair to say, id buy in to the life advertised and maybe even expect lesser results in due course. Both companies advertised over 2 hours of battery life, which id have to say is pretty decent even if you split it in half.

++ [ originally posted by NEDVED] ++
    baggio 550 USD is fair for the laptop, considering ur using it for text applications, the configurations are more than enough and the price is reasonable...
    Of course its fair to say, that id definitely use it for more than just text applications, even though the nature of my work wouldnt require me to run hi end graphics. But id definitely like it to extend to a multemedia portable device as well... eg, multimedia, music, maybe movies at times. So yea even taking that into account, id say its a decent config for the price, and by itself, as well.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Of course its fair to say, that id definitely use it for more than just text applications, even though the nature of my work wouldnt require me to run hi end graphics. But id definitely like it to extend to a multemedia portable device as well... eg, multimedia, music, maybe movies at times. So yea even taking that into account, id say its a decent config for the price, and by itself, as well.
    mp3, divx will run fine on that gear I should think but in linux I know because I had a laptop much like that and it did the job fine.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    I hope I am not too late to give me advice. Baggio, go for a Dell if u have the chance. They're the best after IBM IMO, but IBMs are too heavy!

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
    Acer Ferrari looks nice :D
    yes they look nice and they have good hardware actually, they work good for games, other laptops are not really a gaming bargain

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    @chxta...your not late in giving the advice bro, but gotta say the dell's costing me almost double of what im going to be paying, unless i buy a 2nd hand dell, which i dont want to do.

And all you guys, yea the Acer Ferrari and other Acers look good, feel good probably, but with money being a constraint, i think Im pretty certain Im settling for the 1st option that i mentioned at the start of this thread. Now to be honest, gaming is not something thats priority as far as this is concerned, coz i have my ps2 for that. Just want something that's portable, does a decent job, and caterrs to my needs of ermm, playing movies as an absolute extreme.

Go ahead and rate the ACI for me. Want to know if its a good deal. Remember the price point is important and im now paying less than what i quoted earlier about 525 USD.

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
    I gave Majed an advice on a laptop, and I give you the same

check out this: http://www.dynamism.com/x10/index.shtml

The lightest and thinnest....it is a Centrino also
    The cost isnt viable, taking into account my use for the product. Im not looking for something supertech, coz my needs are restricted to text based applications. At 3200 USD, it jsut doesnt make any sense to me, economically or even as an avid microsoft word user.

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17
    Ok boys and girls. My new laptop arrived today. I finally went in for the 1st option that i listed in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)