Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #502
    I don't know much about burqa, but for hijab for example - and I guess the concepts would still be similar - I think a lot of people overlook the fact that in Islam at least I don't think it's just a 'piece of clothing' to cover you up etc. When having the hijab on, you are pretty much restrained from doing a lot of things Islam already taught you not to do - you can't wear the hijab and go to clubs, you can't wear it and drink in public, or even smoke it will just look weird. When you have it on, you are sort of a representation of the religion itself and its beliefs, which is why I think some women actually choose to wear it, it's the kind of lifestyle they wish to lead. I'm not saying it's any better than non-hijab wearing women, but it is a choice. So what's the big deal? It's different to what some of the people here are accustomed to, just like how wearing minimal clothing is different to theirs.
    Or lifestyle others want them to have it....

Also, can't a woman do all this (not go to a club, not drink or smoke in public not not not) without having to wear Hijab/Burqa? I mean, if I see girl's hair in public i will have an erection? or sexually harass the lady?

One thing I know, a respected woman is respected with or without a hijab.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    Why is it so hard to believe that someone can wear the hijab on their own account? Why do you think its always forced? I'm not denying there women aren't forced to wear the hijab, but it doesn't mean all of them are. And you missed her point completely there Rab.

Apr 15, 2006
    I never said anything, I asked you to explain what you meant. I don't get the "not tolerating infidels" part. What do you mean by that?
    I thought that the Quran had verses that talked about intolerance towards non-believers of Allah or Islam, which extremists misinterpret to justify their hate crimes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Why is it so hard to believe that someone can wear the hijab on their own account? Why do you think its always forced? I'm not denying there women aren't forced to wear the hijab, but it doesn't mean all of them are. And you missed her point completely there Rab.
    :agree: No doubt that some people wear it by choice.

OP
    Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #505
    I'm not saying they're all forced to wear. I can't make this assumption because it wouldn't make sense. But on the other hand there are many forced to wear whether they like it or not. And this is what's important.

I understood sally's point but I was talking in general how girls can make things simple without having to wear a Hijab to make it obvious how they want to be represented in public.

Aug 1, 2003
    sure we've got choices. I mean obviously a girl can choose not to wear a hijab and still abstain from a lot of things, good on them. But there are also some who probably want to go the distance and put it on, and I'd completely understand that too. it's a hard thing to explain, but with it on you take these things probably a lot more serious than without it, generally speaking. but as a person who has been surrounded by all that you've described - my mother wears and adheres to it, my sisters do not but have begun abstaining from All That Will Lead To Hell for a while now, and then there's me who doesn't wear nor abstain, that's all I can say on the matter.

As with it being forced on women, that's a different issue altogether no? A lot of people are forced to do things they don't want to, hard labour with no wage, prostitution etc etc... I don't agree it being forced on a woman by constitutional law just as I don't agree them being forced NOT to wear it.

mcrae

Jun 3, 2004
    sure we've got choices. I mean obviously a girl can choose not to wear a hijab and still abstain from a lot of things, good on them. But there are also some who probably want to go the distance and put it on, and I'd completely understand that too. it's a hard thing to explain, but with it on you take these things probably a lot more serious than without it, generally speaking. but as a person who has been surrounded by all that you've described - my mother wears and adheres to it, my sisters do not but have begun abstaining from All That Will Lead To Hell for a while now, and then there's me who doesn't wear nor abstain, that's all I can say on the matter.

As with it being forced on women, that's a different issue altogether no? A lot of people are forced to do things they don't want to, hard labour with no wage, prostitution etc etc... I don't agree it being forced on a woman by constitutional law just as I don't agree them being forced NOT to wear it.
    what does your mother do for a living?i'm asking because i want to see how women who wear this can fit into modern societies

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    What's their reason for doing it then? Just curious, I'm not very well versed in religion.
    They're reasons most of the time are religious ya, of course. Some Muslims believe that going the extra mile in certain things in religion makes you a better muslim. Others like me, and the majority of muslims believe that you should do what is required of you, anything else is additional. The two main sources of legistlation in Islam are the Koran and Sunnah(Actions and Sayings of the Prophet). Neither the Koran or Sunnah say that a woman should cover her face, nor does either of them say neither implicitly nor explicitly that covering one's face is better than a woman that just covers her hair.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    what does your mother do for a living?i'm asking because i want to see how women who wear this can fit into modern societies
    My Boss at work wears a hijab, my university professor wears a Hijab too, the latter has done her PhD in the States, has worked as an instructor in Australia and now is a professor in Dubai.

Are you saying theres a direct corrolation between wearing a hijab and being successful in a modern society?

mcrae

Jun 3, 2004
    ok all those terms for muslim veils got me confused.I googled and hijab is the one that covers only the hair.I got no problem with it,i'd be shocked though if there were university profferors wearing the burqa.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I don't know much about burqa, but for hijab for example - and I guess the concepts would still be similar - I think a lot of people overlook the fact that in Islam at least I don't think it's just a 'piece of clothing' to cover you up etc. When having the hijab on, you are pretty much restrained from doing a lot of things Islam already taught you not to do - you can't wear the hijab and go to clubs, you can't wear it and drink in public, or even smoke it will just look weird. When you have it on, you are sort of a representation of the religion itself and its beliefs, which is why I think some women actually choose to wear it, it's the kind of lifestyle they wish to lead. I'm not saying it's any better than non-hijab wearing women, but it is a choice. So what's the big deal? It's different to what some of the people here are accustomed to, just like how wearing minimal clothing is different to theirs.
    Great post! :tup: I learned a perspective here that made a lot of sense. That's the best you can hope for in a thread like this.

I'm not saying they're all forced to wear. I can't make this assumption because it wouldn't make sense. But on the other hand there are many forced to wear whether they like it or not. And this is what's important.

I understood sally's point but I was talking in general how girls can make things simple without having to wear a Hijab to make it obvious how they want to be represented in public.
    The great irony being that of all the countries in the world where women would be forced to wear a burqa or even hijab as something repressive forced upon them in society, France would be one of the last places I would expect that. You're bound to find more people who wear it now where their mothers did not and still do not. Where a law like that is needed most is in a place like Afghanistan, not France.

Apr 15, 2006
    They're reasons most of the time are religious ya, of course. Some Muslims believe that going the extra mile in certain things in religion makes you a better muslim. Others like me, and the majority of muslims believe that you should do what is required of you, anything else is additional. The two main sources of legistlation in Islam are the Koran and Sunnah(Actions and Sayings of the Prophet). Neither the Koran or Sunnah say that a woman should cover her face, nor does either of them say neither implicitly nor explicitly that covering one's face is better than a woman that just covers her hair.
    And you'd expect the word of God to be clearer rather than confusing! :disagree:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ok all those terms for muslim veils got me confused.I googled and hijab is the one that covers only the hair.I got no problem with it,i'd be shocked though if there were university profferors wearing the burqa.
    Ya Hijab not Burqa. I myself am not an advocate of the Burqa, and i do believe that it can cause problems sometimes. Still, i don't agree with banning it.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    There are kinds of hijabs too, the one that covers the hair only (I think Iranians use them mostly), and other ones that covers the hair completely plus the neck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)