Buffon relishing England encounter (1 Viewer)

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005

Italy have ramped up their preparations ahead of Sunday’s Euro 2012 quarter-final showdown with England.
After securing qualification to the knockout stages with a 2-0 win over Republic of Ireland on Monday night, coach Cesare Prandelli continues to put the Azzurri through their paces at the team base in Krakow.
Addressing the media today was Bianconeri goalkeeper Gigi Buffon. The Italy captain outlined his hopes for Sunday’s encounter whilst acknowledging the threat posed by England.
“I’ve never played them in an important match before,” said the 34-year-old. “We’ve met in two friendlies and I was on the winning side twice. We have a 50 per cent chance of victory, both sides are looking to confirm their form.”
“I think that incidents will have a big part to play in Sunday’s game. Penalties? I’ve been involved in three penalty shoot outs, winning two and losing one.
“For the sake of our hearts we’ll hope to wrap the game up before. However, you never know, and tonight I’ll be watching a video of their penalty takers.”
With a semi-final spot up for grabs and both sides eying redemption following disappointing World Cup 2010 campaigns, Sunday’s encounter in Kiev looks set to be a thriller.
“We want to make up for South Africa and surprise people. We now find ourselves among the top eight in Europe and we have yet to lose a game.
“We still, however, need to keep working. We know that Spain are two steps ahead of everyone and one step ahead of Germany, but we’re ready to give it a go against any team we come up against.”
Italian president Giorgio Napolitano has been one of the Azzurri’s most vociferous backers, and Buffon took the opportunity to express the squad’s gratitude.
“We’d like to thank him for all the good luck messages received,” concluded the goalkeeper. “He’s our first supporter and gives us comfort, he’s taken note of the desire we display. What can we give him? The same as we want to give the entire nation, an excellent final stage of the tournament.”

Source: Juventus.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)