Buddhism (1 Viewer)

OP
Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #26
    Well if the reason for the meditation on Buddhism is to reach nirvana if you dont believe in that end then the meditation is fruitless
    That isn't the point of meditation of any kind. Nirvana is reached when you are enlightened and understand the truth of reality. Meditation is to free the mind from the constraints of the physical world and allow it operate indepentenly. That is why meditation begins with emptying your mind, breathing slower and sitting in specific positions to detatch you from reality.

I have tried it a few times this week and it gets easier after a while and it makes you so relaxed after, its like a joint without the haze.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #27
    That is all well and good but that's not what the OP was asking so that's why I feel you can't devote to something half way
    that was actually the message i was trying to convey. Of the reading I did and things i observed when i was travelling, buddhism does some stupid stuff and says some silly things (i can go into more detail if you want). But they don't follow a deity, they follow a path to understand the world and just be nice and i am interested in learning more about that. I wanted to know if anyone knew more about it before i enroled on a course at the local temple.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    that was actually the message i was trying to convey. Of the reading I did and things i observed when i was travelling, buddhism does some stupid stuff and says some silly things (i can go into more detail if you want). But they don't follow a deity, they follow a path to understand the world and just be nice and i am interested in learning more about that. I wanted to know if anyone knew more about it before i enroled on a course at the local temple.
    Get this:

Then this:

And writings by this guy:

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #37
    i also don't think nirvana is possible unless you live in total isolation, but even then...
    Do i think that someone can gain better control over there emotions through meditation and have a better outlook on the world and life etc.? Yes. Do I think that the moral absolutes are possible - No, but I think the people that claim to have achieved them genuinly believe they have, but also there lives are so far detatched from what the rest world deals with that it is not a fair comparison.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #40
    So Sammy... any progress?
    Distracted by uni for the past 8 months and my life is too hectic atm the progress with my interest. when i get steady employment etc. I will get into it as I had intended back then. I missed out on a course by two weeks when i posted this thread and got caught up with essays and gf so didnt check again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)