Buddhism (1 Viewer)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Im considering studying buddhism and meditation.

I did some reading on buddhism while I was travelling and while I reject 'nirvana' etc. The majority of it comes down to self reflection, self understanding, teaching compassion and kindness (things to my mind should come naturally). I need to find a way to deal with my mind and this seems one of the more rational methods of doing that.

Does anyone else know much about meditation or buddhist philosophies?

Buy on AliExpress.com

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
I know a good amount and a friend is a Buddhist. I don't think you could really put Buddhism into practice if you don't believe in the end outcome of nirvana. the whole practice and meditation is to achieve nirvana. so without that core belief it would be vain repetitions

OP
Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #3
    I know a good amount and a friend is a Buddhist. I don't think you could really put Buddhism into practice if you don't believe in the end outcome of nirvana. the whole practice and meditation is to achieve nirvana. so without that core belief it would be vain repetitions
    Buddhism is increasingly seen as a philosophy not a religion.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Religion, philosophy... that's just mincing words. It's all about a personal metaphysics with the self and the universe.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #6
    Religion, philosophy... that's just mincing words. It's all about a personal metaphysics with the self and the universe.
    Of the reading ive done on Buddhism it has been generally sound stuff with no deity implied. Stuff like be nice....because being a dick isn't cool

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Im considering studying buddhism and meditation.

I did some reading on buddhism while I was travelling and while I reject 'nirvana' etc. The majority of it comes down to self reflection, self understanding, teaching compassion and kindness (things to my mind should come naturally). I need to find a way to deal with my mind and this seems one of the more rational methods of doing that.

Does anyone else know much about meditation or buddhist philosophies?
    Try Islam if you want more drama in your life :D

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    Buddhism is increasingly seen as a philosophy not a religion.
    In the end your not understanding what I am saying , the point of buddhisim is to achieve Nirvana, if you dont believe in the end result then the application of buddhisim is null. Also swag is right, philosophy , religion mincing words

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #10
    In the end your not understanding what I am saying , the point of buddhisim is to achieve Nirvana, if you dont believe in the end result then the application of buddhisim is null. Also swag is right, philosophy , religion mincing words
    phi·los·o·phy/fəˈläsəfē/
    Noun:

The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.
    A set of views and theories of a particular philosopher concerning such study or an aspect of it.

---------------

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

They are not the same thing. Trying to Understand our purpose in the real world is different to worshiping a god instead of trying to understand our purpose in the real world.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    phi·los·o·phy/fəˈläsəfē/
    Noun:

The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.
    A set of views and theories of a particular philosopher concerning such study or an aspect of it.

---------------

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

They are not the same thing. Trying to Understand our purpose in the real world is different to worshiping a god instead of trying to understand our purpose in the real world.
    Ok you can look at that definition and go with it. In the end my point is no less valid without belief in nirvana, the meditative purpose of Buddhism is pointless

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    phi·los·o·phy/fəˈläsəfē/
    Noun:

---------------

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

dictionary definitions are probably the lamest argument out there, philosphy's branches are: ethics, aestethics, politics, epistemology, and metaphysics. As swag said, metaphysics(philosophy) and religious belief system are one and the same.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
    phi·los·o·phy/fəˈläsəfē/
    Noun:

---------------

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

They are not the same thing of course (reason and rationality vs faithfulness to an extent) but they overlap in certain areas. Besides, trying to understand our purpose in the real world is what religions also seek.

It's not necessarily true, I think.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    They are not the same thing of course (reason and rationality vs faithfulness to an extent) but they overlap in certain areas. Besides, trying to understand our purpose in the real world is what religions also seek.

It's not necessarily true, I think.

Well if the reason for the meditation on Buddhism is to reach nirvana if you dont believe in that end then the meditation is fruitless

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
    Well if the reason for the meditation on Buddhism is to reach nirvana if you dont believe in that end then the meditation is fruitless
    Not believing in the end result doesn't make the path fruitless in my opinion. If there's something you believe a certain way could offer to you, you can always take it without having to believe in the end result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)