Bruno Alves - CB - Zenit St Petersburg (4 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I've watched him enough to determine his style. Not a lot though.

His biggest asset is his aerial ability. This guy is tall and can jump as if he had a trampoline under him. His style is similar to Chiellini's, which depends on physical ability and not the head.
Isn't this more of the same ie Chiellini, Bonucci, Sorenson?

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Not sure if Lugano is the holy organizer as many members claim, but he's definitely miles ahead of Bonucci, who struggles to demonstrate basic defensive skills.
he is a captain, a natural leader of men. As for been great at organizing??? my impression is that other feel comfortable and composed with him in the team, and look up to him when the war gets tough, as his determination never falters...

bonucci did not seem anywhere near as terrible as you make out, last season. he didn't seem much worse than chiellini...the back four was a shambles. the amounbt of time that motta and grosso got was unbelievable and made chiellini and bonucci seem far less useful than they are, as they were both playing two positions, rather than one. i'd love to see alvez come in, or lugano, but won't be horrified by the prospect of sticking with DC/Ziegler, Chiellini/Barzagli, Bonucci/Barzagli, Lichsteiner/Motta.

Still, we have signed, apparently, two wingers. Zenith are interested in two of our players, one of whom is a CB...beppe said we would sign at least 2, probably 3 players. Unless Pasquato or pepe leaves, its looking likely our last signing will be a CB. if either of those do leave, then we have a gap on LW.

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
Mar 14, 2009
Lo-Pan believe me, even if Bonucci had Samurais aiding him as full-backs, he will appear weak. He lacks a lot. His positioning, one on ones and concentration suck. IMO, This guy is a hopeless case.

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
Mar 14, 2009
As for Bruno Alves, maybe you know more, but I'm not sure he reads the game well. From what I've seen he's more of a soldier than a commander. Being a captain doesn't make you a natural defence organizer. Hell, Comotto was a captain one day.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I don't want to get rid of Bonucci yet. I think he deserves another shot but he can't be the inidsputed starter that he is right now. With Barzagli as 3rd choice he waltzes into the 1st team and there has to be some type of legitimate competition

Mus™

Mar 16, 2009
So how good is this guy anyway? Can someone compare him to our lost targets Alex and Lugano?
A different sort of defender really, more of an old classic style English defender with physicality being his forte. A big improvement on bonucci however

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
He doesn't seem to be the right CB to be paired with Chiellini in the middle of defense from what you guys are saying.

Why aren't we getting Lugano again?

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I'd like to think Alex is the best of the three, overall. Alves probably the most agile, and Lugano, the most aware. Is this correct to say?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)