Britain's Prince Charles to Marry Camilla (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Britain's Prince Charles to Marry Camilla

By MICHAEL McDONOUGH

LONDON (AP) - Prince Charles surprised Britain by announcing Thursday that he will marry Camilla Parker Bowles, his longtime lover who Princess Diana blamed for the breakdown of her marriage to the heir to the throne.

Clarence House, Charles' office, announced that the pair would marry but gave no further details. Sky News TV reported that the wedding would take place on April 6.

Charles divorced from Diana in 1996, a year before she was killed in a Paris car crash. Camilla obtained her divorce from army officer Andrew Parker Bowles in 1995.

Charles, the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II, first met Camilla at a polo match in Windsor in 1970 and over the next few years they became very close. The relationship cooled after Charles joined the Royal Navy and Camilla married Andrew Parker Bowles, a long-standing admirer.

Throughout the late 1970s Charles and Camilla kept up contact and became close friends again toward the end of the decade. They remained so after Charles' 1981 marriage to Diana.

Diana blamed the friendship for the failure of her marriage to the Prince of Wales. ``There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded,'' Diana said in a 1995 TV interview.

In 1994, Prince Charles admitted in a TV documentary that he had strayed from his marriage vows, but insisted the infidelity happened only after the marriage was ``irretrievably broken down, us both having tried.'' It was widely assumed, but never confirmed, that Camilla was the other woman.

Camilla soon became a recognizable figure and in April 1997 took a tentative step into public life when she became patron of the National Osteoporosis Society. An official photograph was released to mark the occasion. In July that year, Charles hosted a party for Camilla to celebrate her 50th birthday.

The couple appeared less frequently in public after Diana's death in August 1997, but in 1999 Camilla met Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry for the first time.

In recent years, she has regularly accompanied Charles to galas and become accustomed to appearing in front of the media. She now lives with Charles at his Clarence House residence in central London.

Their planned marriage is nevertheless a sensitive issue because Parker Bowles is divorced and her former husband is still alive. Charles would be the supreme governor of the Church of England if he took the throne, and some Anglicans remain opposed to remarriage of divorcees.

The church is officially neutral on the issue, but former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey recently urged the couple to marry.

Last year, a poll indicated that more Britons support Prince Charles marrying Camilla Parker Bowles than oppose it. Thirty-two percent of respondents to the Populus poll said they would support Charles if he remarried, while 29 percent were opposed. Thirty-eight percent said they didn't care and 2 percent had no opinion.

Link

Camilla is going to suck as a princess... Literally ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Well, not everyone of course, but she was very popular. I really dont see what was wrong with her. Care to elaborate?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    Did they, oh ok, if you say so!
    My lasting impression of her is the public reaction to her death. It dominated the papers, newspapers, magazines, etc. for ages. People acted as though her death was any more tragic than some guy getting kicked to death outside a nightclub for his accent, or a little kid being kidnapped and killed.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Well, not everyone of course, but she was very popular. I really dont see what was wrong with her. Care to elaborate?

She was popular at certain times due to her manipulation of the media .... thoughts about her are somewhat different with certain revelations revealed.... and as people see the truth... though of course some are still blind.

Anyway im not gonna get into slagging off the figureheads of my country much more than that

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The French.

They seem to have as much tabloid coverage of the British royal family as anyone else. And yet the last time France had royalty, they lopped their heads off. Go figure.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    The French too? I heard the Germans are nuts about royalty, in particular Norwegian royalty. What is it with these people who don't have royals themselves?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    rince Charles surprised Britain by announcing Thursday that he will marry Camilla Parker Bowles, his longtime lover who Princess Diana blamed for the breakdown of her marriage to the heir to the throne.

Clarence House, Charles' office, announced that the pair would marry but gave no further details. Sky News TV reported that the weddi.....

*getting sleepy*...*can't keep eyes open*... *must tr...ZZZzzzzzzz*

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005
    He's an old man and shes an old woman. Diana moved on and had her thing, why cant he?

And yeah like Paul said, now everyone liked Diana. I hated her and I still hate her. Unlucky for her that she died in a car crash, big ****ing deal. Better people than her have died just as harsh.

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005
    Yeah yeah yeah. I know the details. She died in a car crash, had someone been involved thats tough shit for her. Should have wore a seat belt :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)