Brilliant, another country developes nuclear weapons? Oh lord, save us from Dubya. (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Metrostar ] ++

Whats wrong with invading them? They are a bunch of terrorists that deserve to be invaded.
U didnt only paint with a wide brush, but you painted sterotypes, neo-conservative spoon-fed, fear-to-rule beliefs with a wide brush!:fero:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Fuck's sake, he was being sarcastic. How could you NOT get that?
fucks sake, does it look like I actually give a flying fuck.. er lemme see

no.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Metrostar ] ++
Whats wrong with invading them? They are a bunch of terrorists that deserve to be invaded.
1. I'm sure that you know that not everyone in Iran is involved in terrorist actions.

2. Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder. Those people that you call terrorists, another person might call heros.

3. When was the last time that an Iranian terrorized the US? If I remember correctly, the last terrorist action on US soil occured on September eleventh. Fifteen of the nineteen terrorists were Saudi. Is Saudi Arabia worthy of invasion too?

4. Even if every single person in Iran were a terrorist guilty of killing "innocent" people, the United States is not the country to invade them. I think we've seen how well the heavyhandedness and inflexibility of the United States government has worked at nation building.

5. This statement has reminded me of the sick and twisted valuations that the American government has made. They have consistently persued an agenda that shows they feel that American lives are worth more than the lives of people elsewhere. It amazes me that the world community can sit back and watch a nation committ such terrible crimes against humanity...

6. Is it me, or is there something wrong with the American people and their government? They justify going to war by saying that they don't want to live in fear. I say, how bad is it to live in fear, compared to living in poverty caused by America's excesses? They say that they want to spread freedom, but instead they spread death and then force their conquered people to live as they see fit.

They have have no thought for why they are the subject of terrorist attacks. They only think of how they might kill those responsible. They make no effort to stop doing the things that have bread a generation of people willing to sacrifice their lives to take a small piece out of America. They constantly judge the actions of other nations, and at the same time reject the judgement of the world on them. They are the only nation that insists on having a military large enough to do whatever they want whereever they want. They think nothing of ruining the global environment, if it can make a profit. They think nothing of the way that their policies affect the people of other nations.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well then, if people are so keen to bring terrorist attacks here, go ahead and try, if thats the general consensus. If people think two wrongs make a right, go ahead and avenge the deaths of whoever we killed that deserved to be killed. A call to arms people, USA versus the world.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
A weapon embargo France doesn't seem to care about but alas...

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well then, if people are so keen to bring terrorist attacks here, go ahead and try, if thats the general consensus. If people think two wrongs make a right, go ahead and avenge the deaths of whoever we killed that deserved to be killed. A call to arms people, USA versus the world.
Don't be ridiculous - we don't care about either global terrorism or America over here. You do whatever the hell you gotta do but it ain't against the entire world :D

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
A weapon embargo France doesn't seem to care about but alas...
France has learned the firt lesson to be drawn from the sack of Iraq : we have gone back to the pre WW 1 way of conducting international relations, i.e if it is in your interest and if you can do it, then just bloody do it to hell with what others have to say. In the present case, it's not only in the interest of France but of the whole EU (starting with the UK - not a coincidence that Jack Straw is one of the initiators of this policy) to lift the embargo and go even further in opening our market to the Chinese (something the USA is hardly falling short from doing either btw). Also it's quite ironic that a 300 million nation can teach a lesson to anyone, anywhere, anytime but a 1,2 billion one should remain toothless.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
Yea, because China doesn't have a large military, do they?
They've got large military, but not large enough to influence any event anywhere in the world. Did you know that since world war two, the US military has been actively engaged in an average of 35 theatres at any one time? The Chinese military has been actively engaged in an average of 3 theatres at any one time. That's the difference.

Jul 12, 2002
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three wrongs don't make one either. The US is wrong in the way that it uses it's military and economy to dominate and exploit the lesser countries of the world and force their culture on them. The Terrorists are wrong to resort to violence to stop that. But, the US is even more wrong to respond to that with more violence. It is a circle of death and destruction that is very hard to stop, as we can see in Israel...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Okay then, the only solution I see for this "problem" you think exists is for our country to revert to isolationism, which would be fine by me. If a war breaks out again in any other country or region, don't come begging for our help. If a tsunami kills millions of people in India and Africa, don't ask for our support. If Iran decides to destroy Israel and half of the middle east, who cares, not our problem. Lets sit and do nothing, what do we care. Then when all sorts of other problems occur and we get blamed for doing nothing to help out, we say who cares. Seems like a very good policy to me..

Jul 12, 2002
Okay then, the only solution I see for this "problem" you think exists is for our country to revert to isolationism, which would be fine by me. If a war breaks out again in any other country or region, don't come begging for our help. If a tsunami kills millions of people in India and Africa, don't ask for our support. If Iran decides to destroy Israel and half of the middle east, who cares, not our problem. Lets sit and do nothing, what do we care. Then when all sorts of other problems occur and we get blamed for doing nothing to help out, we say who cares. Seems like a very good policy to me..
Just like the Bush regime, you speak only in extremes. You speak as if the only two options open to you are to either dominate and exploit people or to leave the world with the instability that you created. America has to take responsibility for the problems that they have created, but at the same time, they can not do as they please and they can not force their version of government on other peoples.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

Just like the Bush regime, you speak only in extremes. You speak as if the only two options open to you are to either dominate and exploit people or to leave the world with the instability that you created. America has to take responsibility for the problems that they have created, but at the same time, they can not do as they please and they can not force their version of government on other peoples.
So we created all the instability in the world, right? Like the never-ending Palestinian conflict, the wars in the Balkens, and the trouble in Afghanistan, for instance? The latter was neccesary, and I am glad we went in there and took out the Al-Qaeda controlled Taliban. Sure, maybe we shouldn't force of type of government on other people, and just let them live their little hell hole called Iraq. Again, who cares. And what do you mean take responsibility for the problems we caused? At least we try to fix them after they started..

Jul 12, 2002
So we created all the instability in the world, right? Like the never-ending Palestinian conflict, the wars in the Balkens, and the trouble in Afghanistan, for instance? The latter was neccesary, and I am glad we went in there and took out the Al-Qaeda controlled Taliban. Sure, maybe we shouldn't force of type of government on other people, and just let them live their little hell hole called Iraq. Again, who cares. And what do you mean take responsibility for the problems we caused? At least we try to fix them after they started..
Who put Saddam Hussein in power? The United States. Who put the Taliban in power? The United States. Who established the nation of Israel? The United States. Who drew the lines that put disparate and conflictual cultural groups together in one nation (Yugoslavia)? The United States.

The United States must accept their role in creating much of the instability that exists in this world. Besides the very questionable military and political actions that the US has made since WWII, there is also the fact that the US' hording of resources and its economic bullying has had a major influence on keeping much of the world poor. And poverty breeds instability. Democracy is not a condition that arises because Emporer Bush has his cronies enforce it. Democracy results from a populace that educates itself and the only way that a population educates itself is if it has a decent level of affluence.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #78

Who put Saddam Hussein in power? The United States. Who put the Taliban in power? The United States. Who established the nation of Israel? The United States. Who drew the lines that put disparate and conflictual cultural groups together in one nation (Yugoslavia)? The United States.

All good points, except the last one, I fail to see how the US had a part in the creation of Yugoslavia.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

I don't know enough history to comment on that, considering I have just started American history in college, however it must have seemed like the best resolution at the time for all those different cases.

The United States must accept their role in creating much of the instability that exists in this world. Besides the very questionable military and political actions that the US has made since WWII, there is also the fact that the US' hording of resources and its economic bullying has had a major influence on keeping much of the world poor. And poverty breeds instability. Democracy is not a condition that arises because Emporer Bush has his cronies enforce it. Democracy results from a populace that educates itself and the only way that a population educates itself is if it has a decent level of affluence.
    We hord natural resources because we are one of the only countries that can do anything with them and produce products. In my eyes there is nothing wrong with producing products. Its a cruel world, however, survival of the fittest wins out in the end.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)