Books you're reading (8 Viewers)

Mar 6, 2005
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

Biggest piece of literature-imitating shit I've ever read.. Please, if you are not forced to read this book, then do yourself a favor and avoid it at all costs..

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
Currently reading "the Age of the Extremes", by Eric Hobsbawn. It's a summary of the "short century" (1914-1991).

One of the best books I've read in recent times has to be Georges Perec's "La Disparition". Perec was a member of that bizarre movement from the 60's called "Oulipo", i.e. "Ouvroir de Littérature Potentielle". The aim was basically to explore new ways of "making literature" through experimenting. I might be wrong, but I think that it was a member of said movement who wrote an entire book made of just one sentence.

As for "la Disparition", it is a 300 page novel entirely written without the letter "e". Every time Perec has to describe something by using words that contain the letter "e", he finds alternative ways. To give you an idea, this means that such basic and recurrent words as "je" ("I") or "elle" ("she") or "que" ("that") or "être" ("to be") can't be used.

But of course there's much, much, much more to it than just linguistic creativity, and I don't remember having experienced so much hilarity and anguish at the same time while reading a book (his insane style and the way he drives the reader up the wall simply made me suffocate in some instances). Don't ask me to summarize the story, because I can't. Just know that the two main characters are called Anton Voyl (<Voyelle = vowel) and Amaury Conson (<Consonne = consonant).

Unfortunately this kind of masterpiece is de facto untranslatable.
no harm in learning some francais monsieur de Saussure...
so for je we can use on
elle== la catin ;)
que== -ant , participe passe
etre== paraitre, avoir l'air, se faire
So anton and amaury played "des chiffres et des lettres" :) ??

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
"paraître" and "se faire" already contain the doomed vowel...

Anton and Amaury are basically on a quest to search the missing element in their life : "un rond pas tout à fait clos finissant par un trait plutôt droit"...

And yes, everybody should learn French, quite simply THE language of literature.

I tried to find "la Disparition" in my bookcase, but guess what : it has disappeared (ok I've lent it to someone). So here's an extract from the book that I found on the net:

Anton Voyl n'arrivant plus à dormir, poursuivi par la vision d'un motif inconnu sur son tapis, rumina moult solutions, pour finir par l'ablation du sinus.

Il aurait fallu plus, car il voyait sa fin pas trop loin. Il aurait voulu, auparavant, savoir si l'Omission qu'il soupçonnait (rapport au cinq), virait ou non à l'hallucination.

Il nota dans son journal faits, soupçons, divagations, jusqu'à un synopsis d'un roman où Aignan, un garçon ayant vaincu un sphinx, grandissait pour finir baisant sa maman, puis pourrissait sur un îlot, par mortification pour son forfait.

Soudain Anton Voyl disparut, laissant un mot confus.

Son copain Amaury Conson convainquit un flic, Ottaviani, ainsi qu'Hassan, avocat, Olga, la nana d'Anton, qu'il n'y avait pas là du tout cuit.

Ils n'ont aucun tuyau, vont aux infos, mais voilà qu'un inconnu a occis Hassan dans sa maison, braquant un carton parmi vingt-six du stock archival d'Anton (où il y avait, aussi, un "Moby Dick" original, transcrit au bic).

Plus tard, on constata qu'Hassan, tout mort qu'il fut, avait lui aussi disparu ; mais "motus" fit la Maison Poulaga.

Amaury Conson (qui n'avait plus qu'un sur six fils), plus Arthur Savorgnan (qui avait connu lui aussi Anton), prit un train pour Azincourt où Olga vivait dans la maison Clifford. Douglas Haig, son mari trois jours, y avait grandi, puis mourut un soir où, baryton, il chantait à la Scala.

Amaury, Arthur, Olga, Augustus (papa d'Haig), la Squaw (qui nourrissait toujours Jonas, carpillon du bassin d'Azincourt), à l'unisson font un tour d'informations, soupçons, intuitions, partant d'obscurs madrigaux, romans ou haikaï soumis par Anton, qui ont un point commun : l'apparition ou la disparition du "Blanc". Cogitations, cogitations : sortit un horizon toujours aussi lointain.

Au matin, Augustus, parcourant du doigt l'haikaï intriguant, tomba mort, poussant un cri affolant, rapport à un Zahir.

La Squaw raconta qu'on trouva au nombril d'Haig poupon un bijou figurant un rond pas tout à fait clos finissant par un trait plutôt droit : son Zahir. Augustus l'arracha, conçut pour lui adoration, jusqu'au jour fatal où, au sortir d'un bain, il constata sa disparition. On sut plus tard qu'Haig, ayant appris son statut bâtard (Anton fut son frangin), l'avait ravi, sans savoir qu'ainsi il durcissait la damnation.

On apprit, toujours par la Squaw, qu'Olga naquit d'Anastasia, star aimant Albin, un bandit albanais qui avait maudit Albion ; qu'Anton avait compris un graffiti apparu sur un billard, proclamant la Loi d'airain qui frappait sans distinction.

Quant au Zahir, il fut produit par Jonas, roulant moribond sur son bassin. Alors Olga tomba d'un coup, s'ouvrit l'occiput, mourut, balbutiant : "la Maldiction".

Plus tard dans la nuit Amaury glissant, tomba dans l'a-pic du bassin à mazout. Arthur Savorgnan lui avait transmis l'information sur sa filiation : un papa commun, qui d'un clan rapin appliquait la machination.

Un imbroglio familial qu'ici nous tairons, conduisit à l'assassinat sans fin. Tribulations d'où sortit la fin du roman, la mort pour tous, sauf pour...

Multum fleuit ce que c'est agacant, mais assez fluide et rafraichissant, d'une severite inexorable pour les fines ames ;)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #327
    One of the best books I've read in recent times has to be Georges Perec's "La Disparition"... it is a 300 page novel entirely written without the letter "e"... Unfortunately this kind of masterpiece is de facto untranslatable.
    Unfortunately, I don't speak French. I'd take it up, but I have no flair for languages, so I'll have to stick to the two and a bit I got hammered into me in school. (Well, maybe the English might not be totally school-related!)

Literature leaving out a letter is called lipogram, IIRC. Aside from "La Disparition", there's an example in English called "Gadsby", by Robert Wright. If I'm thinking of the same guy, I think Perec wrote a short story (shortly after "La Disparition") using no vowel but "e".

Aug 1, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++

yesterday marked the 38th anniversry of his death, quite the character though a commie.
    Indeed. To me, he was the only one who wasnt corrupt until his very last breath. How many times have we seen rebels, leaders, politicians claiming to fight for a better cause but only turn out equally evil or even worse? Che was never blinded by such things.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #333
    Excession, by Iain M Banks. Decent, but far from his best. Slow build-up, too many computer/drone charactors and most of the humans in the story feel tacked on too make it a bit less inaccessable to non-hard-core SF fans. Not even his best writing, which is a big disappointment. Still has his usual epic scope and grand imaginiation, but only so-so by comparison with some of his other stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)