Books you're reading (9 Viewers)

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
i just read the half blood prince, and if ur planning to get it i can gaurentee u'll be severely dissapointed. its a complete hormone overdoes, in an attempt to make it different from the other books and add a bit more punch to it (i mean cmon, everyone will get bored of accio can of beer) the books been really messed up. i guess the hard-core potter fan will disagree and insist that its still magical, but to me i really thought that its been a marketing overdose and without all the hype no-one would have paid good hard earned money on it.

maybe a bit over critical, but still, i was very dissapointed. reading the latest harry potter book is like watching matrix revolutions. prepare to be dissapointed.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I dont give a fiddler's fart on what people will say, but I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Stores open at 7 am today and I was there at 7.30 to get the book. Read it for 9 hours or so, stopping only to eat, to pray or go to the toilet.

I feel tempted to talk about the book but feel that it might be too early for spoilers.
nice! I haven't bought it yet and I have a great desire to realise who's the half blood prince?:D

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ashwin ] ++
i just read the half blood prince, and if ur planning to get it i can gaurentee u'll be severely dissapointed. its a complete hormone overdoes, in an attempt to make it different from the other books and add a bit more punch to it (i mean cmon, everyone will get bored of accio can of beer) the books been really messed up. i guess the hard-core potter fan will disagree and insist that its still magical, but to me i really thought that its been a marketing overdose and without all the hype no-one would have paid good hard earned money on it.
Couldnt agree less...

First blood prince is a very good book and by far the best of the series... Easily the best written and most complete of the six... especially after the mess that was book five...

Absolutely loved it, as did my daughter...

The odd criticism's i do have with it are very minor and inconsequential... But then ive never read a book of any type i havent found at least one fault with....

The best childrens book in many a year and one of the best child / adult crossover works ever written..

As for.. without the hype no one would have bought it... absolute tripe... anyone with kids and who could afford it would of bought it... The first two books sold unbelievably well, without any hype... that didnt start untill book 3's release

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Oh, and I forgot to ask, do you have the Adult or Children version?
Theres no difference... its only the cover... same book inside... For the record we have both copies at home

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
Didnt have you penned as a Potter fan.

OT: Where did you get your avatar? Im curious. I know the designer, but didnt think it was circulating as avatars or whatever :D

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
Didnt have you penned as a Potter fan.
My daughter loves them... which basically means.. i love them..

But no, i didnt expect to like them... but i had to read them to her, and after the first 2 which i enjoyed but were a little too child orientated for my tastes... the third book onwards are absolute gems... even the some what messy 5th book which was clearly rushed is a damn fine read

OT: Where did you get your avatar? Im curious. I know the designer, but didnt think it was circulating as avatars or whatever :D
Cant remember... was jus looking around for something the other week and came across it... If i find it again ,i'll let you know

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Couldnt agree less...

First blood prince is a very good book and by far the best of the series... Easily the best written and most complete of the six... especially after the mess that was book five...

Absolutely loved it, as did my daughter...

The odd criticism's i do have with it are very minor and inconsequential... But then ive never read a book of any type i havent found at least one fault with....

The best childrens book in many a year and one of the best child / adult crossover works ever written..

As for.. without the hype no one would have bought it... absolute tripe... anyone with kids and who could afford it would of bought it... The first two books sold unbelievably well, without any hype... that didnt start untill book 3's release
*SPOILER WARNING*(maybe :p)

Shadowfax, weren't you a bit disappointed with the way Rowling seemed to have simply changed a character's personality overnight? The way Hermione turned from a girl who wouldn't care, to a jealous *****? How Harry didn't seem to grieve for his godfather? How the romantic entanglements seemed a bit forced and rushed?

*END SPOILER*

I read HBP, and while it wasn't the best book Rowling wrote, it wasn't the worst, and while it was enjoying, I couldn't help but feel annoyed by some of its flaws..

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Nawaf ] ++

*SPOILER WARNING*(maybe :p)

Shadowfax, weren't you a bit disappointed with the way Rowling seemed to have simply changed a character's personality overnight? The way Hermione turned from a girl who wouldn't care, to a jealous *****? How Harry didn't seem to grieve for his godfather? How the romantic entanglements seemed a bit forced and rushed?

*END SPOILER*

POSSIBLE SPOILER !!!!!

Have you read the other books ?

Cause hermiones supposed overnight personality change did not happen ... this route was evident since prisoner of azkaban and in my experience realistic behaviour for children of that age... there was no sudden change at all... maybe you havent read them for a while ?

As for harry's lack of grieving... personally i thought she made his sadness and anger as clear as you possibly could in a childrens book... this was covered many times as the book went on... Look at all the sections about his feelings for beatrix.... His innability to talk to tonks (whiuch was mentioned continually)... his thoughts on lupin not writing to him... etc etc

If i was bothered about anything it would be the fact we all knew who was gonna die and how early in the book i knew who the half blood prince was... Outside of that i have no complaints and thought it a very well laid out story and the best literary piece of the series...

Mar 6, 2005

POSSIBLE SPOILER !!!!!

Have you read the other books ?

Cause hermiones supposed overnight personality change did not happen ... this route was evident since prisoner of azkaban... there was no sudden change at all... maybe you havent read them for a while ?

As for harry's lack of grieving... personally i thought she made his sadness and anger as clear as you possibly could in a childrens book... this was covered many times as the book went on... Look at all the sections about his feelings for beatrix.... His innability to talk to tonks (whiuch was mentioned continually)... his thoughts on lupin not writing to him... etc etc

If i was bothered about anything it would be the fact we all knew who was gonna die and how early in the book i knew who the half blood prince was... Outside of that i have no complaints and thought it a very well laid out story and the best literary piece of the series...
*SPOILER WARNING*

Yes, I've read the other books, and I haven't picked up on any kind of clue that Hermione would turn that way.. Maybe it is because it's been a long time though.. :p

What I was referring to with the grief part was the very beginning.. How could he be so chipper to know that possibly the only reason (or a very large part of the reason) that his godfather was dead, was coming over to pick him up..? I didn't quite buy that..

And yeah, I think everyone knew who was going to die.. :D

Oh, and do you have any idea who this R.A.B. guy is..?

*END SPOILER*

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Nawaf ] ++

Oh, and do you have any idea who this R.A.B. guy is..?
I have a couple of ideas.. but not convinced enough to say them yet... Jus re reading the others first, which will hopefully confirm my idea...

Mar 6, 2005

I have a couple of ideas.. but not convinced enough to say them yet... Jus re reading the others first, which will hopefully confirm my idea...
Oh, ok.. Just don't say them.. I'd rather be surprised for once.. :p

Aug 1, 2003
Dont read this post, its full of spoilers

Well I bought the children's version, preferred that cover instead of the adult's :D

Half blood prince was a good book in my opinion.. it explained a lot of things and I just loved the whole plot. If there's one thing I didnt like about the book, it would be the whole Harry-likes-Ginny and will-ron-and-hermione-get-together drama. I felt that Rowling sort of emphasized on it a bit too much. But overall, I loved the book and it made me only more eager to read the seventh!

But I think the BEST harry potter book was the Goblet of Fire... that one was so full of adventure and I still read it today when I eat my cereal.

And yes, I am absolutely curious about who RAB is! Any idea when the 7th book is coming out? :D

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I've been thinking and the only one who has RAB for initials is Sirius Black's brother.
I've been thinking that too (Regulus Black), but, the author being JKR, I'm almost sure that it won't be him.. Maybe a character we haven't been introduced to..? Dumbledore's evil half-brother, perhaps..? :p

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #280
    The Algebraist
    Iain M. Banks

I rather liked this book, only the second Banks story I've read. He's probably the best SF author active today. His books are set on a massive scale, with dark wit, wonderful actions scenes and really creative ideas. Some people seems to think this one is a bit long and meandering. I don't agree. If you like Science Fiction, or did, but got sick of it, read Banks. The Algebraist, his latest book, is a good place to start.

Plot is fairly simple: We're set in a single solar system, which has been cut off from the rest of the galaxy when its wormhole was destroyed 200 years ago. A replacement is on its way at nearly the speed of light, but is 30 years away. Rather closer is a big, big fleet of ships lead by a rather nasty (nearly over the top) villan, bent on conquering the system.

So far, so standard. What he's really after is a secret (an huge) network of wormholes, owned by the Dwellers, a really, really long-lived species who inhabit most of the gas giants in the galaxy but are a bit (read: massively) reclusive. One of the handful of people they'll actually talk to is the main charactor, who actually unearthed the library fragment containing a reference to the information (though no one figured it out at the time) everyone's after. He's got to find said information in time to save his entire solar system.

Good writing, really good charactorisation and an interesting story keep the whole thing going for about 600 pages. Read it.

Oh, here's an extract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)