Books you're reading (13 Viewers)

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
the moral obligation to be intelligent by Lionel Mordecai.
I've not read the whole book, skipped some of pages and read a few chapters whenever i got free time. Hovewer the level of language in this book is above my knowledge so i think, i misunderstood certain points the author makes.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
@GordoDeCentral @swag @Post Ironic

I'm currently listening to this audiobook.

1679594475741.png

My main take away so far is that the only good diet for humans involves strictly whole foods - nothing artificial, just natural like we historically ate until modern times. The two biggest enemies to human health are vegetable oils and sugar. I haven't reached the part on sugar yet but what she says about vegetable oil is that it's completely toxic in any amount: it causes all the worst diseases (cancer, heart disease, etc.), it destroys your brain, blocks nutrients from reaching your body, damages your cells, as well as the genes that you pass on to your children and grandchildren (causes them to be more sickly, uglier, lower IQ), etc. etc.

I believe it's widely accepted that large amounts of vegetable oil is unhealthy. I know the evidence she provides isn't available here for you to assess, but what do your bullshit detectors think about the claim that ANY amount of it is dangerous? It does seem intuitive to me now, listening to what she says, that these highly processed foods are to be avoided, but previously I thought that moderation is fine.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
@GordoDeCentral @swag @Post Ironic

I'm currently listening to this audiobook.

1679594475741.png

My main take away so far is that the only good diet for humans involves strictly whole foods - nothing artificial, just natural like we historically ate until modern times. The two biggest enemies to human health are vegetable oils and sugar. I haven't reached the part on sugar yet but what she says about vegetable oil is that it's completely toxic in any amount: it causes all the worst diseases (cancer, heart disease, etc.), it destroys your brain, blocks nutrients from reaching your body, damages your cells, as well as the genes that you pass on to your children and grandchildren (causes them to be more sickly, uglier, lower IQ), etc. etc.

I believe it's widely accepted that large amounts of vegetable oil is unhealthy. I know the evidence she provides isn't available here for you to assess, but what do your bullshit detectors think about the claim that ANY amount of it is dangerous? It does seem intuitive to me now, listening to what she says, that these highly processed foods are to be avoided, but previously I thought that moderation is fine.
Yeah processed foods are to be kept to a minimum imo but these guys in the industry of health in general tend to be alarmist and play on people's fears. Modern life has erased a lot of diseases but also created and exacerbated others. But overall imo a positive tradeoff.

I personally only use olive oil at home, unless i am making pop corn(my favorite snack).

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah processed foods are to be kept to a minimum imo but these guys in the industry of health in general tend to be alarmist and play on people's fears. Modern life has erased a lot of diseases but also created and exacerbated others. But overall imo a positive tradeoff.

I personally only use olive oil at home, unless i am making pop corn(my favorite snack).
I'm not sure what she has to gain from being so alarmist other than book sales. But shit, I'm a lot more wary now. I know I can't eliminate all the bad stuff from my diet, but I didn't expect to see vegetable oils in a bunch of places I never bothered to check before, like mustard or salted cashew nuts. Anyway I'm going to be doing a lot more home cooking too. KFC a lot less often :p

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not sure what she has to gain from being so alarmist other than book sales. But shit, I'm a lot more wary now. I know I can't eliminate all the bad stuff from my diet, but I didn't expect to see vegetable oils in a bunch of places I never bothered to check before, like mustard or salted cashew nuts. Anyway I'm going to be doing a lot more home cooking too. KFC a lot less often :p
Lol it's all about book sales though. Nah don't sweat it too much, just hit your macros in a healthy fashion and eat whatever you want every now and then.

Jun 16, 2020
I’m currently almost 6 of the 70 hours into the audiobook of the Old Testament. Have to say the books exceeds my expectations, I never expected it to be so cruel.

Can’t say that I’m very religious in the traditional sense of the word, I’ve always been curious about what’s actually written in the Bible.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I’m currently almost 6 of the 70 hours into the audiobook of the Old Testament. Have to say the books exceeds my expectations, I never expected it to be so cruel.

Can’t say that I’m very religious in the traditional sense of the word, I’ve always been curious about what’s actually written in the Bible.
Old Testament is cool as fuck. I love how old all the stories are. I love that it's the oral history of a people that have somehow managed to stick around against crazy adversity, and while the greatest of earth's empires have risen and fallen.

How far in are you? Which book?

Jun 16, 2020
Old Testament is cool as fuck. I love how old all the stories are. I love that it's the oral history of a people that have somehow managed to stick around against crazy adversity, and while the greatest of earth's empires have risen and fallen.

How far in are you? Which book?
Genesis is finished and I’m at Exodus now. Moses should give the 10 commandments any time soon.

Have to say that from a modern (religious) point of view many things are very controversial, but at the other side its a story many thousands of years old of the people of Israel who lived in nomadic tribes, who had slaves and married for very different reasons.

Cant say that so far many of the stories really got me and I had a few moments of ‘oh wow is this in the Bible’, but since it laid the groundwork for society in many regards and for the pure antiqueness I will continue.

Would like to read the Epic of Gilgamesh and The Book of Enoch aswel in the future.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I will move in several months and my new gig will be filled with books. Currently they are all over the place, including floor. I had no idea I'd need so much money for making shelves.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Lgor Digital Detox 23

Richard Russo: Mohawk 10/10
Richard Russo: Nobody's Fool 10/10
Richard Russo: Everybody's Fool 10/10
Richard Russo: Somebody's Fool 10/10
Richard Russo: Empire Falls 10/10

William Faulkner: Flags in the Dust 10/10
William Faulkner: The Unvanquished 10/10
William Faulkner: As I Lay Dying 10/10
William Faulkner: Light in August 10/10
William Faulkner: The Sound and the Fury 10/10
William Faulkner: Absalom, Absalom! 10/10
William Faulkner: Sanctuary 10/10
William Faulkner: The Mansion 10/10

Sven Regener: Herr Lehmann 10/10
Sven Regener: Neue Vahr Süd 10/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)