Books you're reading (13 Viewers)

May 23, 2013
I set a goal to finish 20 books by the end of this year which is quite ambitious for me because I'm busy and not an especially reader. I've managed 10 so far, a mixture of philosophy and novels. Trying to read some classic literature which I feel like I should have read.

The last one I finished was Alice In Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass and it is a truly amazing work, hilarious.
Has doing this had any affect on your life? Iv seen allot of this rich people videos where the number one thing they recommend is to read.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Has doing this had any affect on your life? Iv seen allot of this rich people videos where the number one thing they recommend is to read.
Well I'm definitely not rich yet :D

It's opened my mind to a lot of ideas I wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to, or allowed me to explore others which pique my interest, for example I'm not reading a book on polyamoury alongside a treatise on occultism.

A friend of mine explained her view of why reading is important - that all the lessons we learn in life come from experiences. Reading a novel or even watching a film gives you an opportunity to see an example of a situation which should teach you something. In doing so we can learn more in a lifetime than would otherwise be possible. I realised that that's what art actually is.

Jul 20, 2016
In my line of work, I spend my entire days just reading books and articles. When I get home I VERY rarely feel like reading more and instead play video games, if I have the time. In the previous years, I've been sticking to Stephen King books because they're easy reading and I find them, most of the time, good reads. Two weeks ago I picked up a book I started reading two years ago and finished it. Wool by Hugh Howey, which was great. I then remembered that I got a Kindle as a gift last year, so then I started reading again and realized how much I loved reading on this wonderful piece of machinery.

In the past two weeks, I read Anomaly by Scott Prussing, which I really enjoyed, and followed it up by four of the Blue Fire Saga books by the very same author, which is OK but I intend to read them all and then read the merging book of Anomaly and Blue Fire Saga books.

Now I am asking for help, do you have any suggestions on science fiction books? I LOVED reading Andy Weir's book The Martian. I love sci-fi movies so I think I would enjoy reading these kinds of books as well. I open for any suggestions but I would prefer if there weren't too many characters in the book to keep track of. I get lost/tired if there is too many.
You can try with Philip D(i)ck's books

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Today is the publication date of Sven Regener's new book "Wiener Strasse". :superhapp

Any of you guys reading his books? @DAiDEViL @Ocelot @lgorTudor

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Herr Lehmann is one of my favorite books, and the movie is great too.
:agree: "Herr Lehmann" is great!

"Neue Vahr Süd" (about Frank Lehmanns time before his life in "Herr Lehmann") and "Magical Mystery oder: Die Rückkehr des Karl Schmidt" (spin off about the life of Karl Schmidt after the time with Herr Lehmann) are hilarious to read too.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
@Wittl $WP_20171117_23_51_59_Pro (3).jpg
Got this today, together with like 12 of those Penguin little black classics books - which are, unlike the 1kg Poe book that almost fills out my entire messenger bag, perfect to read on the bus :baus:

Poe making me look up the dictionary from time to time, but it's worth it.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
@Wittl $WP_20171117_23_51_59_Pro (3).jpg
Got this today, together with like 12 of those Penguin little black classics books - which are, unlike the 1kg Poe book that almost fills out my entire messenger bag, perfect to read on the bus :baus:

Poe making me look up the dictionary from time to time, but it's worth it.
:baus: I gotta say, in the last weeks I didn't read a lot. I moved in another flat two months ago, so now I often go to work by bicycle, cause it's quite close. And god damn, I shouldn't have made this netflix account a month ago, that has been a bad idea.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
We had some sort of books night tonight where they have huge discounts on books so I had to go and buy some. Sadly I didn't have much cash so I bought only 2. Felt horrible seeing people buy 5+ but at the same time surprising lol.

I bought Dictionary of the Khazars (wrriten by Pavic @Post Ironic I recommend this one if you have a chance) and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
We had some sort of books night tonight where they have huge discounts on books so I had to go and buy some. Sadly I didn't have much cash so I bought only 2. Felt horrible seeing people buy 5+ but at the same time surprising lol.

I bought Dictionary of the Khazars (wrriten by Pavic @Post Ironic I recommend this one if you have a chance) and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
True... but you chose two brilliant books. :heart:

I loved Pavic's novel. It's so very Borgesian, gothic, phantasmagoric. Definitely a predecessor of Mark Danielewski's disturbing House of Leaves. I have the Male version of Dictionary of the Khazars. Apparently there is a single different paragraph a couple hundred pages into the book in the female version. Regardless, I found it quite stunning. The melding together of myth, folklore, history, oral storytelling, and so on is fantastic.

Oh, by the way. Do you like Guillermo del Toro? His early stuff like Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Pan's Labyrinth? If you do, you should definitely see his new film, The Shape of Water. It's fantastic.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
True... but you chose two brilliant books. :heart:

I loved Pavic's novel. It's so very Borgesian, gothic, phantasmagoric. Definitely a predecessor of Mark Danielewski's disturbing House of Leaves. I have the Male version of Dictionary of the Khazars. Apparently there is a single different paragraph a couple hundred pages into the book in the female version. Regardless, I found it quite stunning. The melding together of myth, folklore, history, oral storytelling, and so on is fantastic.

Oh, by the way. Do you like Guillermo del Toro? His early stuff like Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Pan's Labyrinth? If you do, you should definitely see his new film, The Shape of Water. It's fantastic.
Damn, I'm so glad you read our boy. :D

Oh hell yeah! I never knew it was out and by the looks of it, it looks amazing. I'll watch it asap (or asairt -- as soon as it reaches torrent :D).

Btw, this is going to be the first book by J. Joyce for me. That one lured me the most so I had to buy it. The guy in the shop pushed me to buy Dubliners instead eventhough he loves both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)