Books you're reading (26 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah... it was :cry:

i've been postpoing that one and Crime & Punishment for over a year. I read everything else bar those two.
I can't recall if I asked you already, but did you read A Raw Youth/The Adolescent. I couldn't stand it the first time I read it years ago... but now I just love it, even if it is the "worst" of his big five novels. I mean, I love them all, but that one I am pretty fond of. It and Crime and Punishment.

Dostoevsky wrote young, conflicted men so well.

As did Turgenev for that matter, even if in another direction completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you read Sanin by Artsybashev? Amazing novel.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I can't recall if I asked you already, but did you read A Raw Youth/The Adolescent. I couldn't stand it the first time I read it years ago... but now I just love it, even if it is the "worst" of his big five novels. I mean, I love them all, but that one I am pretty fond of. It and Crime and Punishment.

Yeah, I read it. I saw many bad reviews for it, personally no idea why. I loved it and it's probably one of my fav books writen by him tbh. It blew me away. But Dostoevsky for me is a guy from another planet. I don't want to sound arrogant cause I can't say I read many books (much much less than you), but I can't compare him to anyone out there. The way he understood psychology and a human nature/soul is nothing but brilliant. The depth of his works is beyond crazy, so many lines that are meaningful and unique, worth of studying etc. Even his brain alone is worth of studying, his progressive work along with his epilepsy is something to look at. He was a crazy guy too, but the way he talks about people and life makes my dick go hard.

Sure, I guess many adore and love Dostoevsky. But gotta say that Turgenev is quite underrated imo.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

Have you read Sanin by Artsybashev? Amazing novel.
No, quick synopsis por faplis

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
No, quick synopsis por faplis
Here's what Colin Wilson wrote about Sanin:

"The book's hero sneers at the unhealthy moral preoccupations of most Russians, and preaches a doctrine of sunlight and frank sensuality. The book had an enormous impact on Russian youth, who were eager to put its doctrines into practice. Probably no book in world literature has been responsible for the loss of so many maidenheads."
Book was banned in Russia upon publication in 1907. A mix of hedonism and nihilism (late 19th century Russian style) found there. Definitely an interesting read.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:ID:

you read Fathers and Sons?
I have. One of my favourites. Bazarov is such a great character. I really enjoyed Turgenev's shorter works too. Like Diary of a Superfluous Man :heart:

What you wrote above about Dostoevsky is exactly right. The way he melded together the psychological, the philosophical, the religious, etc etc... was incredible. Even more so given how entertaining he managed to make his stories.

Others have perhaps matched the depth and intensity of his works; some of the modernists like Joyce and Proust come to mind, or postmodernists like Pynchon and Gass... but none of them managed to be so well-paced and entertaining like Dostoevsky was.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I have. One of my favourites. Bazarov is such a great character. I really enjoyed Turgenev's shorter works too. Like Diary of a Superfluous Man :heart:

What you wrote above about Dostoevsky is exactly right. The way he melded together the psychological, the philosophical, the religious, etc etc... was incredible. Even more so given how entertaining he managed to make his stories.

Others have perhaps matched the depth and intensity of his works; some of the modernists like Joyce and Proust come to mind, or postmodernists like Pynchon and Gass... but none of them managed to be so well-paced and entertaining like Dostoevsky was.
Exactly, what a great character :D

:agree:

The Brothers Karamazov is imo a masterpiece and at the top of everything. I'm so pissed he never got to finish his main work -- second part of the book -- a book about Alyosha. From Father Zosima and all of the kids he made such a complex structure of a guy/family/society it's incredible. Progressive work from agnostics, atheists, to a religious man is all fap worthy.

Btw I never read that Diary of Turgenev. Gonna check it out when I finish this one.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Exactly, what a great character :D

:agree:

The Brothers Karamazov is imo a masterpiece and at the top of everything. I'm so pissed he never got to finish his main work -- second part of the book -- a book about Alyosha. From Father Zosima and all of the kids he made such a complex structure of a guy/family/society it's incredible. Progressive work from agnostics, atheists, to a religious man is all fap worthy.

Btw I never read that Diary of Turgenev. Gonna check it out when I finish this one.
The Life of a Great Sinner. One has to wonder how that book would have turned out, had he published it. Probably would have been brilliant.

There were so many good Russian prose writers from that period of 1840-1920... Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy, Lermontov, Artsybashev, Gorky, Chekhov, Leskov, Gogol, Bunin, Bely, Zamyatin, Merezhkovsky... What an era. :heart:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The Life of a Great Sinner. One has to wonder how that book would have turned out, had he published it. Probably would have been brilliant.

There were so many good Russian prose writers from that period of 1840-1920... Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy, Lermontov, Artsybashev, Gorky, Chekhov, Leskov, Gogol, Bunin, Bely, Zamyatin, Merezhkovsky... What an era. :heart:
:tuttosport:

I'm yet to read others :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)