Books you're reading (8 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@Dule90 since you been on a hesse binge, did you read strange news from another star?
Nope.

So far I read Demien, Klein und Wagner, Siddhartha, Der Steppenwolf, Die Morgenlandfahrt, Klingsors letzer Sommer. Currently I'm reading Beneath the Wheel (finishing tomorrow) and I have Gertrud lined up next. (sorry about the German titles, I have those at PC and I have no time to look for English titles :D)

I know that I have Gedenkblätter and Das Glassperlenspiel at the house but Strange News from another star... I'm not even sure I have that book :sad:

Is it good? I'll try to buy all other works of his that I have missing.

I also think I don't have Die Gedichte (Poems), Rosshalde and The complete Fairy Tales of Herman Hesse.

- - - Updated - - -

I've started some philosophy so it's slowing me down kinda.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
If you like Kurt Vonnegut style absurd satire who even has in common in being also set ww2, then I highly recommend Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It's incredibly absurd and incredibly awesome.
Tbh the humor isn't quite to my taste :D

Normally I love absurd humor, Monty Python, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, even the Cyanide and Happiness comics are weird as fuck, but Catch sometimes felt a bit off to me, don't really know why :boh:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It's absolutely brilliant if you let it soak in, incredible wealth of insanely amusing characters and witty wtf situations that make you scratch your head and laugh.

"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle"

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I want something good to read. I don't know what, but something serious, not some artsy fartsy inspirational, poetry, live better crap.

I'm about 200 pages into American Psycho. Don't know if you've read the book yet but you should if you like the movie so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Catch 22 is weird as fuck. Not a bad read though.
Planning to read that next.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I've still got 100 pages to read but i think they both have their merits. Probably the movie because it's so shocking and strange yet kind of funny at times. it seems a little more out there and wtf with such little building up to it and Bale is amazing too. The book has the obvious advantage of getting to play out more of bateman's slipping personality but i kind of like how he's a little more mysterious in the movie.

Interested to see how the ending plays out in the book tho.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I've still got 100 pages to read but i think they both have their merits. Probably the movie because it's so shocking and strange yet kind of funny at times. it seems a little more out there and wtf with such little building up to it and Bale is amazing too. The book has the obvious advantage of getting to play out more of bateman's slipping personality but i kind of like how he's a little more mysterious in the movie.

Interested to see how the ending plays out in the book tho.
:agree: Bale Bateman was a maniac. I need to revisit the book sometime though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)