Books you're reading (12 Viewers)

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
Could you please give a brief idea what's it about?

I mean the subject is obvious from the title, but more like.. whose point of view is it and basically whats the bottomline?

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Could you please give a brief idea what's it about?

I mean the subject is obvious from the title, but more like.. whose point of view is it and basically whats the bottomline?
It's staunchly pro-Arab almost to the point of historical misinterpretation. It is however accurate in facts even if it proposes that a Caliphate is the father of Liberal Democracy :lol:

It's not boring anyway and fairly cheap.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
Well I'm definitely going to look for it! Hamilton's book is too boring as if I'm reading from wikipedia.

yeah that would be accurate in a way actually, democracy was created by Khalifas, before Amaweya family started and it came to an end, but regarding scientific research and leadership in many sciences; the Islamic civilization has a great role, most of what we have now is built on it

however, Europe after dark ages learned from Muslims and exceeded them, but now we're not learning from history, and we'll remain like this for a hundred more years at least.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Well to be fair he misses out on what Democracy is convincing himself that government = Democracy.

He thinks that Egyptian and Mesopotamian rulers were democratic even though these societies were at best Oligarchies.

He also assumes that the sanghas and ganas of India are historical fact, which they aren't.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
Well to be fair he misses out on what Democracy is convincing himself that government = Democracy.

He thinks that Egyptian and Mesopotamian rulers were democratic even though these societies were at best Oligarchies.

He also assumes that the sanghas and ganas of India are historical fact, which they aren't.
-I'm not saying that Islam's Khalifas had democracy applied the same as we know now, but what came right after Muhammad PBUH was something the world never knew before, I'm saying it's the beginning of democracy as we know it now
as in voting and choosing who rules you, collecting money for HELPING the people (taxes as we know it now, although no one really knows where that money goes now)
but the freedom of speech wasn't present at that time for example, and freedom of faith was at moderate level, many different religions lived among Islam, but Abu Bakr faught those who converted back after Muhammad's death
(not because they changed belief, but because they threatened the plans Muslims had)

-Egyptian and Mesopotamian at what time in history exactly?

-I really know too little about India and Asian history, can't go any deep in that.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,827

Zima Blue and Other Stories by Alastair Reynolds. Reynolds is one of the top space opera writers of the current generation. This collection of short stories is pretty good, though the persistent downer endings can drag a little. The title story was the highlight for me, but there are a number of memorable ideas.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Zima Blue and Other Stories by Alastair Reynolds. Reynolds is one of the top space opera writers of the current generation. This collection of short stories is pretty good, though the persistent downer endings can drag a little. The title story was the highlight for me, but there are a number of memorable ideas.
    Sorry but how many Space Opera authors are there?

Jul 5, 2006
    Goddess of the Sea by P. C. Cast, i chose a P.C. Cast's novel again cos i loved the vampire serie (House Of Night) so much, i thought i would find that excitement with this one too, but i couldnt. I mean i dont say this novel is bad but cant compete with House Of Night serie.. nevertheless it has a lovely end=)

..***..

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,839
    For real? I thought Scifi as a written art form died in the late nineties :confused:
    Really? What made you think that? I certainly think first of the older guys, but Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Charlie Stross, Ken McLeod, Neal Asher, Stephen Baxter and M. John Harrison are very active authors, just to stick to the British ones I can list off the top of my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)