Books you're reading (10 Viewers)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,142
    Terry Pratchett - Kleine freie Männer :tup:
    English title is The Wee Free Man
    How does Pratchett hold up translated? He tends to use a lot of puns and subtle word play that I'd have thought wouldn't translate well.

Beckett's best work was written in French though.
    Really? I didn't know that.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Finished reading King Rat, finished reading Gates of Fire (Battle of Thermopylae).

Started reading a polish fantasy book, one of a series, called Witcher Saga. So far its really interesting, because it has its own mythodology and freaky unique fables thats quite new to me. With western/anglo fantasy books, the worlds and the figures are all too common and familiar (same elves, wizards, faires etc), but reading eastern european fables is bit interesting. Read The Russian Nightwatch/Daywatch series a little last year, and it was too in its way refreshing too see another cultures little fables and fantasy stories, they are a bit darker :D

SABSAB

Snoop Stinks
    Dec 10, 2008
    How does Pratchett hold up translated? He tends to use a lot of puns and subtle word play that I'd have thought wouldn't translate well.
    He hold up. Not as good as in English but still good! My problem was allways that because he is using so much puns and subtle words play I wasn´t able to understand with my school english :D
    Now I´m reading them in German and English. First German to understand and then I understand the english Version better and get all the jokes they were not able to translate (but the german translater are realy good!)
    But especially in that book the small men had a strange slang and I start it in english and after a few lines I was like WTF????? What´s going on????

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,155
    ...But especially in that book the small men had a strange slang and I start it in english and after a few lines I was like WTF????? What´s going on????
    Yes, I recall them from another of his books. It's essentially phonetic Scottish English with a few distinctive made up words and phrases, so a fluent speaker can sound it out (or oot, as they might say), but it'd be a nightmare for anyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)