Books you're reading (1 Viewer)

Kopanja

Contributor
Jul 30, 2015
camus - the plague, eco - the name of the rose, joyce - ulysses, dostojewski - the brother karamazov or kierkegaard - diary of a seducer. right now im really thinking about kierkegaard. what do you guys think, which one did you read and could recommend?
To dumb to appreciate joyce, don't have an opinion. I loved the name of the rose, but if you are picking Eco I'd highly recommend Baudolino – it's not that grim and dark, but I found it just amazing, reread it 3 or 4 times already, especially if you are in Medieval Europe. Camus is alright. I hate Dostoevsky, but if you are decided to give him a go I'd start with either The House of the Dead or Humiliated and Insulted. After that, I'd go for Karamazovs and The Gambler, if you liked the first two.

Jun 7, 2003
To dumb to appreciate joyce, don't have an opinion. I loved the name of the rose, but if you are picking Eco I'd highly recommend Baudolino – it's not that grim and dark, but I found it just amazing, reread it 3 or 4 times already, especially if you are in Medieval Europe. Camus is alright. I hate Dostoevsky, but if you are decided to give him a go I'd start with either The House of the Dead or Humiliated and Insulted. After that, I'd go for Karamazovs and The Gambler, if you liked the first two.
thx!
i already read one dostoevski, the idiot, it was okay. why do you hate him haha?

Kopanja

Contributor
Jul 30, 2015
thx!
i already read one dostoevski, the idiot, it was okay. why do you hate him haha?
There is no there there for me, and I'll be totally alright with that, but his fan club in ex-USSR territories is so annoying, something like EPL fans ))
I tell you what, try this one Platonov when you have time. I'm not sure how great it's translated, because Platonov uses a lot of "newspeak" words, but in original it's just amazing.

Jun 7, 2003
There is no there there for me, and I'll be totally alright with that, but his fan club in ex-USSR territories is so annoying, something like EPL fans ))
I tell you what, try this one Platonov when you have time. I'm not sure how great it's translated, because Platonov uses a lot of "newspeak" words, but in original it's just amazing.
haha sounds reasonable. thx for the tip with platonov! didnt know him. i have a lot of books to read, but will for sure look out for the book you mentioned.
i thouhgt you will say pushkin, i had this professor who said people who dont like dostoevki like pushkin and vice versa. to be honest didnt read pushkin either. so less time so many books to read...

Kopanja

Contributor
Jul 30, 2015
haha sounds reasonable. thx for the tip with platonov! didnt know him. i have a lot of books to read, but will for sure look out for the book you mentioned.
i thouhgt you will say pushkin, i had this professor who said people who dont like dostoevki like pushkin and vice versa. to be honest didnt read pushkin either. so less time so many books to read...
Pushkin it's a waste of time, don't even bother. I hate him even more))

Kopanja

Contributor
Jul 30, 2015
hahaha nice, but why so much hate
For the same reason, basically, and also because they filled our heads with Pushkin in school, wasting our time on his absolutely bland and superfluous poetry. Dostoevskiy can mess you up when you are kid, Pushkin can't mess up even the likes of Badass, it's an absolute and total wank of poetry.

Jun 7, 2003
Got my wife (and myself) the newest Kindle paperwhite. Being the old fart that I am I normally stick with physical books, movies and records over anything digital but damn I love the little thing.

So I was in the mood for something Tolkien-like so I started The Benjamin Ashwood series. Anyone familiar with it?
bought also kindle for my fiance, she also prefers paper actually more, but lets hope she also beginns to love it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)