Books you're reading (10 Viewers)

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
camus - the plague, eco - the name of the rose, joyce - ulysses, dostojewski - the brother karamazov or kierkegaard - diary of a seducer. right now im really thinking about kierkegaard. what do you guys think, which one did you read and could recommend?
To dumb to appreciate joyce, don't have an opinion. I loved the name of the rose, but if you are picking Eco I'd highly recommend Baudolino – it's not that grim and dark, but I found it just amazing, reread it 3 or 4 times already, especially if you are in Medieval Europe. Camus is alright. I hate Dostoevsky, but if you are decided to give him a go I'd start with either The House of the Dead or Humiliated and Insulted. After that, I'd go for Karamazovs and The Gambler, if you liked the first two.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 7, 2003
To dumb to appreciate joyce, don't have an opinion. I loved the name of the rose, but if you are picking Eco I'd highly recommend Baudolino – it's not that grim and dark, but I found it just amazing, reread it 3 or 4 times already, especially if you are in Medieval Europe. Camus is alright. I hate Dostoevsky, but if you are decided to give him a go I'd start with either The House of the Dead or Humiliated and Insulted. After that, I'd go for Karamazovs and The Gambler, if you liked the first two.
thx!
i already read one dostoevski, the idiot, it was okay. why do you hate him haha?

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
thx!
i already read one dostoevski, the idiot, it was okay. why do you hate him haha?
There is no there there for me, and I'll be totally alright with that, but his fan club in ex-USSR territories is so annoying, something like EPL fans ))
I tell you what, try this one Platonov when you have time. I'm not sure how great it's translated, because Platonov uses a lot of "newspeak" words, but in original it's just amazing.

Jun 7, 2003
There is no there there for me, and I'll be totally alright with that, but his fan club in ex-USSR territories is so annoying, something like EPL fans ))
I tell you what, try this one Platonov when you have time. I'm not sure how great it's translated, because Platonov uses a lot of "newspeak" words, but in original it's just amazing.
haha sounds reasonable. thx for the tip with platonov! didnt know him. i have a lot of books to read, but will for sure look out for the book you mentioned.
i thouhgt you will say pushkin, i had this professor who said people who dont like dostoevki like pushkin and vice versa. to be honest didnt read pushkin either. so less time so many books to read...

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
haha sounds reasonable. thx for the tip with platonov! didnt know him. i have a lot of books to read, but will for sure look out for the book you mentioned.
i thouhgt you will say pushkin, i had this professor who said people who dont like dostoevki like pushkin and vice versa. to be honest didnt read pushkin either. so less time so many books to read...
Pushkin it's a waste of time, don't even bother. I hate him even more))

Jun 7, 2003
Got my wife (and myself) the newest Kindle paperwhite. Being the old fart that I am I normally stick with physical books, movies and records over anything digital but damn I love the little thing.

So I was in the mood for something Tolkien-like so I started The Benjamin Ashwood series. Anyone familiar with it?
bought also kindle for my fiance, she also prefers paper actually more, but lets hope she also beginns to love it

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2003
finished kierkegaards - diary of a seducer, sick book. a critic on the astethic life, will read some other stuff from him also to understand this book.

now i began with camus - the plague, very good beginning. did anyone read it?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Haven't read much this year due to a retarded work (oh yeah I quit!) and focus on my own book which is nearly finished job.

I'm currently Reading Necronomicon by Lavcraft. I think it's brilliant and it's fascinating how he created all those creatures back in the days when his work wasn't even understood by the audience. So much in front of his time he managed to pump horror into books and inspired so many video games, comics (Brecca created fantastic drawing due to his magnificent skills with black and white) books and movies.

I finished reading Witcher. Seventh book I read like one month ago or so. Overall I think it's great and no wonder they made such a great video game out of it. I'm yet to see if they will fuck up with the TV show. Oh and last 2 or 3 books are so within "popular" frames of gays and women at power. I'm certain women, I mean those high council of mages, will be shown on TV as soon as possible. I think it was 5th book where they had that disgusting, fake dialog where they shit on men. Oh God. Such things were horrible in the book but hey, no wonder, nowadays you gotta have that shit in your book/movie otherwise you get rejected.

The Encyclopedia of the Dead was a fanstastic read. Kis is one of my fav authors although I'm yet to read more of his work.

I read Pekic. New Jerusalim (brilliant) and Hodočašće Arsenija Njegovana (not a fan, found it hard to read in its own dull way of the topic movements, couldnt' digest it really). How to Quiet a Vampire: A Sotie was also amazing read, my fav of his from the ones I read at least.

Dr. Zhivago 1 - I expected much more. Not so easy to read but not even that interesting to hold my attention. Didn't want to read part 2.

I'm yet to read some of the books waiting.

I recently bought Satantango and I can't wait to begin reading it. There's also a book fair in one month so I wish I had 1 million fucking euros so I could buy books. There are just too many that I want to buy. It's fucking insane.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I’m with you in Dr Zhivago. Not my cup of tea.

Let me know what you think of Satantango. Krasznahorkai is a favourite author. If you enjoy it, you should definitely get your hands on The Melancholy of Resistance and War & War. Both great books, the former one of the best I’ve ever read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)

• JCK