Books you're reading (7 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I’m with you in Dr Zhivago. Not my cup of tea.

Let me know what you think of Satantango. Krasznahorkai is a favourite author. If you enjoy it, you should definitely get your hands on The Melancholy of Resistance and War & War. Both great books, the former one of the best I’ve ever read.
Hmm. Besides Satantango I think we only have The World Goes On and The Melancholy of Resistance translated here.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah. Werckmeister Harmonies is the adaptation of The Melancholy of Resistance. Both are brilliant.

You should read this interview of Krasznahorkai. His perspective on film and his “collaborations” with Béla Tarr is fascinating.

https://www.lit-across-frontiers.org/transcript/interview-with-laszlo-kraznahorkai/
That movie is brilliant. I actually had no idea that we had that book translated here. The name of the book never made me think about that. But tbh I had no idea we had Satantango translated, I was so excited that I went for a 15km walk in order to buy it :D

Will read that!

Jun 7, 2003
Haven't read much this year due to a retarded work (oh yeah I quit!) and focus on my own book which is nearly finished job.

I'm currently Reading Necronomicon by Lavcraft. I think it's brilliant and it's fascinating how he created all those creatures back in the days when his work wasn't even understood by the audience. So much in front of his time he managed to pump horror into books and inspired so many video games, comics (Brecca created fantastic drawing due to his magnificent skills with black and white) books and movies.

I finished reading Witcher. Seventh book I read like one month ago or so. Overall I think it's great and no wonder they made such a great video game out of it. I'm yet to see if they will fuck up with the TV show. Oh and last 2 or 3 books are so within "popular" frames of gays and women at power. I'm certain women, I mean those high council of mages, will be shown on TV as soon as possible. I think it was 5th book where they had that disgusting, fake dialog where they shit on men. Oh God. Such things were horrible in the book but hey, no wonder, nowadays you gotta have that shit in your book/movie otherwise you get rejected.

The Encyclopedia of the Dead was a fanstastic read. Kis is one of my fav authors although I'm yet to read more of his work.

I read Pekic. New Jerusalim (brilliant) and Hodočašće Arsenija Njegovana (not a fan, found it hard to read in its own dull way of the topic movements, couldnt' digest it really). How to Quiet a Vampire: A Sotie was also amazing read, my fav of his from the ones I read at least.

Dr. Zhivago 1 - I expected much more. Not so easy to read but not even that interesting to hold my attention. Didn't want to read part 2.

I'm yet to read some of the books waiting.

I recently bought Satantango and I can't wait to begin reading it. There's also a book fair in one month so I wish I had 1 million fucking euros so I could buy books. There are just too many that I want to buy. It's fucking insane.
The Encyclopedia of the Dead sounds interesting, i had a book of danilo kis and gave it as a gift to a friend. so its a author which i have to read yet. also pekic some friends are talking highly about.

right now im reading the brother karamasov, the eldest brother is a funny character i enjoy reading about. lets see.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The Encyclopedia of the Dead sounds interesting, i had a book of danilo kis and gave it as a gift to a friend. so its a author which i have to read yet. also pekic some friends are talking highly about.

right now im reading the brother karamasov, the eldest brother is a funny character i enjoy reading about. lets see.
Kis is amazing and so is Pekic. The guy was a genius.

Karamazov :heart: my fav book ever.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
will read them for sure, if there is life. i got also a book of selimovic when i was in belgrad. what do you think about him?

karamazov is okay, im in the middle. lets see maybe it gets better.
Only okay? Meh. :p

I really like Selimovic. However, I skipped his best work. I read The Circle which was his unfinished book and imo the least impressive one so I recommend avoiding that one. It has a political background but I couldn't digest it. Then I read Silence which was really and The Island which was even better. The simplicity is where he shines at and I think he's perfect at it, unlike Bukowski. I had planned to read both The Fortress and Death and the Dervish (which are his best work) this year but I doubt it's gonna happen due to pilled books that I have next to me.

Jun 7, 2003
Only okay? Meh. :p

I really like Selimovic. However, I skipped his best work. I read The Circle which was his unfinished book and imo the least impressive one so I recommend avoiding that one. It has a political background but I couldn't digest it. Then I read Silence which was really and The Island which was even better. The simplicity is where he shines at and I think he's perfect at it, unlike Bukowski. I had planned to read both The Fortress and Death and the Dervish (which are his best work) this year but I doubt it's gonna happen due to pilled books that I have next to me.
i have the death and the dervish, looking forward.

i mean dostoyevski is good, i knew it before. a lot of people talk how good the brother karamasov is but to be honest, i cant really understand why. like i said im in the middle maybe it gets better. why is it your favourite book?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

i mean dostoyevski is good, i knew it before. a lot of people talk how good the brother karamasov is but to be honest, i cant really understand why. like i said im in the middle maybe it gets better. why is it your favourite book?
Psychological profile among characters was perfect and Dostoyevsky is the best when it comes to soul. Characters, also, were quite incredible. It's filled with philosophy and hardest subjects of life imo while not not being linear. This book has no flaws.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@Post Ironic I read Satantango. I finished it yesterday actually. I was expecting a really good book but I was quite surprised as it turned out to be amazing and I'd easily label it as one of the better books I ever read while over the past two years it's by far the best thing I read. Totally blown away by Laslo. Quite dense and specific style of writing. I loved the dark-ish atmosphere in dystopic environment. The rain, mud and such melancholic days were shown in a mysterious and hard detailed way was simply brilliant. It's like Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Waiting for Godot had a child which was put onto steroids. Characters were amazing while I liked the light humor in it. It does require a bit high concentration level due to the dense style but totally worth it. I'm so glad I read it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Great book. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

@Post Ironic I read Satantango. I finished it yesterday actually. I was expecting a really good book but I was quite surprised as it turned out to be amazing and I'd easily label it as one of the better books I ever read while over the past two years it's by far the best thing I read. Totally blown away by Laslo. Quite dense and specific style of writing. I loved the dark-ish atmosphere in dystopic environment. The rain, mud and such melancholic days were shown in a mysterious and hard detailed way was simply brilliant. It's like Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Waiting for Godot had a child which was put onto steroids. Characters were amazing while I liked the light humor in it. It does require a bit high concentration level due to the dense style but totally worth it. I'm so glad I read it.
:tup:

I love it. His style does take some high concentration to get going at first, but once you immerse yourself in the flow and cadence of his prose and narrative, it has an almost hypnotic and mesmerizing effect. I love the dark, atmosphere dystopic environments of his works too. There's something of the apocalyptic in his books, though, as the monologue in The Turin Horse (or the last added chapter to War & War) puts it, it's more so the version of the apocalypse that has triumphed by stealth, a slow decay, an almost imperceptible slide into ruin and despair. He really is brilliant.

I want you to read The Melancholy of Resistance and let me know what you think. It's such an extraordinary book imo.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Great book. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

I love it. His style does take some high concentration to get going at first, but once you immerse yourself in the flow and cadence of his prose and narrative, it has an almost hypnotic and mesmerizing effect. I love the dark, atmosphere dystopic environments of his works too. There's something of the apocalyptic in his books, though, as the monologue in The Turin Horse (or the last added chapter to War & War) puts it, it's more so the version of the apocalypse that has triumphed by stealth, a slow decay, an almost imperceptible slide into ruin and despair. He really is brilliant.

I want you to read The Melancholy of Resistance and let me know what you think. It's such an extraordinary book imo.
No doubt about it. The apocalyptic thing is brilliant. He also adds some unique weirdness which is stunning.

Oh... yes. I know. It's on my list for the book fair although it may have been sold out already so it might be tricky to get it. However, I never watched Satantango movie. I did watch Werckmeister harmóniák, though, so it might influence the expectations as the movie is brilliant. I do remember quite a lot so book might not surprise me much, but I defo want to read it. We don't have War and War translated (there's a translation in Croatia tho), but The Melancholy of Resistance is possible to get. Will try to get my hands on that asap.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
No doubt about it. The apocalyptic thing is brilliant. He also adds some unique weirdness which is stunning.

Oh... yes. I know. It's on my list for the book fair although it may have been sold out already so it might be tricky to get it. However, I never watched Satantango movie. I did watch Werckmeister harmóniák, though, so it might influence the expectations as the movie is brilliant. I do remember quite a lot so book might not surprise me much, but I defo want to read it. We don't have War and War translated (there's a translation in Croatia tho), but The Melancholy of Resistance is possible to get. Will try to get my hands on that asap.
I know it's long at 7 hours. But please watch Satantango. It shall be worth it, I promise. I think with Tarr and Krasznahorkai, it doesn't so much matter whether you have read the book or film first, as they are both independent works, fully immersed in the possibilities of their medium for expression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)