Books you're reading (12 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's definitely better. Then again watching paint dry is better than Twilight. Additionally while both of them are YA you're talking about a sparkling vampire vs. a dysotopian society, so you take your pick as to which of them you would rather read. :p In the grand scheme of things Hunger Games is just okay but from what I heard it is a rip-off of a book called Battle Royale which is supposedly much better, but one that I have never read myself.

There is nothing to hate about THG. The idea behind the book was not a bad one. What people are failing to realise however is that the book was written with the teens in mind not adults so perhaps it was not catering for their tastes. It certainly doesn't end in your happily-ever-after. In fact there is quite a lot of pain and loss for the protagonist. It was too much on the teenage side for me but definitely not a bad read if you are in your teens.

P.S. The movie however was far too idiotic for me. Don't even bother with it.
Battle Royale is completely different and about 10 years older. The stories are similar. Students battling to the death in an arena. But that's the end of the similarity. Battle Royale also isn't intended for children and doesn't have the story depth of the Hunger Games. Both are good, but different.

---------- Post added 12.04.2012 at 11:41 ----------

Currently reading The Trial by Kafka
So disturbing.

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
ĵџvє_вãвγ;3614359 said:
hey dear, i've finished 3 of the Fever Series (Darkfever,Bloodfever & Faefever) liked them all... cant wait to read the rest, hope they will be published in Turkey soon.. Jericho Barrons is da man :smoke:!..***..
Cig, you've just made my otherwise crappy morning. :smile: I am so happy you like it. So far almost everyone I've recommended the books to have enjoyed them. :smile:

Battle Royale is completely different and about 10 years older. The stories are similar. Students battling to the death in an arena. But that's the end of the similarity. Battle Royale also isn't intended for children and doesn't have the story depth of the Hunger Games. Both are good, but different.
Was Battle Royale any good? I read the synopsis for it and it seemed very interesting.

Apr 15, 2006
Just finished reading 'Why We Believe In Gods'.

Can anyone tell me how you can maintain concentration while reading books? My mind always wanders towards thoughts about the real world when I try to read books. It renders the readings useless because I can't remember anything! And what's the point of reading if you can't remember what you read, eh?

Anyway, on towards Kant.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You should try the Fever Series, I think you may enjoy it. And that's not intended for children either. :smile:
What is it?

---------- Post added 12.04.2012 at 17:51 ----------

Can anyone tell me how you can maintain concentration while reading books? My mind always wanders towards thoughts about the real world when I try to read books. It renders the readings useless because I can't remember anything! And what's the point of reading if you can't remember what you read, eh?

Anyway, on towards Kant.
If your mind starts to wander, go find something else to do and come back to the book later. Unless the wandering is caused by some idea proposed in the text. In that case, stop reading, digest the thought over a few short minutes, and then go back to reading having considered a new line of thinking.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Anyway, on towards Kant.
The brain tends to get good at what it does repeatedly. I've had reading sprees where I can read for hours and really focus on the book. Then two months later, when I haven't read much in the meantime, the same thing doesn't seem possible.

But philosophy is tougher than most. I find it hard to read on the train, it's something I have to take enough time to read from start to finish in one go (at least per chapter), otherwise I lose the plot too much.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Is there other ways to go about philosophy than reading books?
Things like lectures. I've just found a brilliant series on philosophy, but it was made for tv in Argentina so it's in Spanish. But if you look around youtube I imagine you can find university lectures and things like that which will make Kant easier to digest.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The fact that I'm reading it or the book itself? :shifty:
I've just started and haven't progressed much. I generally read on my way to work and back on the bus, but these days I fall asleep because I don't get too much sleep in the night :D
The book itself. Crazy story, you'll enjoy it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
This one is for all you movie lovers. Started reading a book by the eminent Paul Verhoeven who directed the fabulous Robocop. The book is no way as fun as that, it's a retelling of Jesus Christ's life (he assumed that it was a real guy) according to what he's researched of historical sources and such. Completely void of car races and gun battles. :lazy:

The book was such a hit, in fact, that even though it came out in 2010 it was already out of print and I had to find a second hand seller. That should have tipped me off lol.

ĵџvє_вãвγ

Earth Intruder
Jul 5, 2006
A Clash of Kings (Book 1) by George R.R. Martin, god this one was boring, especially first 150 pages.. yeah the writer is very creative and the world that he created is amazing but his telling style is boring.. if Tyrion Lannister hadn't existed, you couldn't finish it.. he is still very smart and funny! .. and Arya of course, i love her, she is def. the daughter of Ed Stark :beer:

..***..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)