Books you're reading (11 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Ya i found it, on the first day of Eid, i was out with my family so happened to pass by a bookstore, i asked about it and it was there. I read it, very interesting read. Although i would have liked it more without all the black sorcery.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah, he chose to do bit more fantasy/fairytale feel to it (said in the vein of one thousand and one night kinda feel) instead of autenthicity alone, but its still pretty damn cool.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Finished "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It's nuts what that woman lived through and didn't somehow go insane, there's no way I would survive 1/3 of that stress.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Whats the book about? Is it worth it?
It's basically her life story, from birth to age 35 or so. Born in Somalia, lived in Saudi and then for a long time in Kenya. Came to Holland by herself in her twenties to escape an arranged marriage, went on to study political science over here and eventually became a politician whose one and more or less only political cause was the rights of muslim women in Holland. After serving less than one term in parliament, she got tired of the machinations of politics and moved to the US to work for some think tank. She's written 2-3 books (this one was a bestseller) about the plight of muslim women.

She's not a good writer and the book isn't particularly good as literature, but the stories are incredibly disturbing and eye opening. And the culture shock from her Somali family traditions to life in Europe is almost unimaginable.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
It's basically her life story, from birth to age 35 or so. Born in Somalia, lived in Saudi and then for a long time in Kenya. Came to Holland by herself in her twenties to escape an arranged marriage, went on to study political science over here and eventually became a politician whose one and more or less only political cause was the rights of muslim women in Holland. After serving less than one term in parliament, she got tired of the machinations of politics and moved to the US to work for some think tank. She's written 2-3 books (this one was a bestseller) about the plight of muslim women.

She's not a good writer and the book isn't particularly good as literature, but the stories are incredibly disturbing and eye opening. And the culture shock from her Somali family traditions to life in Europe is almost unimaginable.

Aha, not sure if i can find it here though. Sounds like an interesting read.

Guess what book i found in the public library in Sharjah btw? Richard Dawkins book "The God Delusion" :shocked:

Very surprising to be honest, Sharjah is the last place(or second last) in Earth i'd expect to find that book.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Aha, not sure if i can find it here though. Sounds like an interesting read.
Does Amazon ship to UAE? That's my main source of books. I would try the British one, might give you cheaper shipping.

Guess what book i found in the public library in Sharjah btw? Richard Dawkins book "The God Delusion" :shocked:

Very surprising to be honest, Sharjah is the last place(or second last) in Earth i'd expect to find that book.
Yeah, I'd be surprised too. Maybe your censorship isn't so strict then. Or maybe noone knows it's there yet? :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Does Amazon ship to UAE? That's my main source of books. I would try the British one, might give you cheaper shipping.
Ya it does. I'm a traditionalist though, i like going to the library or to a bookstore to get my books :D

Yeah, I'd be surprised too. Maybe your censorship isn't so strict then. Or maybe noone knows it's there yet? :D

Not many people know its there(libraries here don't attract many people anyway). I told my favorite uni professor, the guy that taught me "History of Sciences Among Muslims". He was absolutely appalled, and even thought of writing a letter to the library. :p

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Ya it does. I'm a traditionalist though, i like going to the library or to a bookstore to get my books :D
Well you could go to your local bookstore and ask them to order it for you.. :shifty:

Not many people know its there(libraries here don't attract many people anyway). I told my favorite uni professor, the guy that taught me "History of Sciences Among Muslims". He was absolutely appalled, and even thought of writing a letter to the library. :p
Yeah, how can they allow people to have their own thoughts, what an outrage :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You're not familiar with my History professor, he's an extremely prejudiced individual. I told Martin about him before, everything that isn't Muslim and everything that comes from the West is evil to him.

So ya, he was appalled that it was allowed in the whole country actually :D

Basically taking a course with him is like a session of propaganda.

Jul 5, 2006
a few weeks ago, i've read The Hunger Games serie by Suzanne Collins
first one was the best among them, from time to time i cant control my tears, Catching Fire the second book as good as the first one, but has a very slow start
last book i mean Mockingjay was a very good book in general but a lil bit weak end but three of them is very good reading afterall :beer:

..***..

blajev87

Sep 6, 2010
I have just finished the autobiography of Pele. The are some interesting stories, but the general idea is Pele to show off as much as it is possible. Like: "The game finished 6:2 for us and I didn't manage to score. But after that all people were talking about my phenomenal shot in the bar".

Jul 5, 2006
The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan, maybe the most boring book that i've ever read, actually a good subject but the writer has made a lot of historical informations, things like you are reading a history book.. after all the writer was unbiased, he has been observing both nations very well.

..***..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)