Boniek done (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Poland name caretaker coach to replace Boniek

Poland coach Zbigniew Boniek unexpectedly quit on Tuesday after less than six months in charge amid stinging criticism from the media and players over his side's poor performances.
Boniek's assistant and former international Stefan Majewski will become caretaker coach until a replacement is found, leaving the Poland squad without clear leadership ahead of key European championship qualifiers early next year.

"Today I handed in my resignation to Polish FA president Michal Listkiewicz," Boniek told Reuters by telephone. "I thanked my players and colleagues and wish all the best to my successor, but I would not want to comment on my decision." Boniek, arguably Poland's best-ever player and who had a successful career at Juventus in the 1980s, landed the coaching job after the team's poor showing in this year's World Cup finals where they went home after the first round.

But his decision to ditch experienced players, call up new talent and completely revamp tactics failed to improve results, triggering a storm of criticism in a country starved of sporting success.

FIERY TEMPER His resignation came less than a week after defender Tomasz Hajto of Schalke 04 announced his retirement from the international game saying he did not get on with Boniek, who is known for his fiery temper and no-nonsense approach.

"Boniek simply had enough. Before he basked in praise, now he is viewed as unsuccessful and ineffective," said Krzysztof Guzowski, football commentator for the Rzeczpospolita daily.

In five matches under Boniek, Poland won twice, drew once and lost twice - with the victories coming against lower-ranked teams from San Marino and New Zealand.

Poland lie third in Euro 2004 qualifying Group Four, behind Latvia and Hungary after one win and a defeat.

But even Boniek's critics admit he tried to modernise Poland's tactics after the World Cup showed their approach was too rigid to cope with the dynamic pace of world-class football.

Boniek tried to move away from a flat back four and opted for three defenders instead while packing the midfield. He has also experimented with a single striker backed by a supporting player, mimicking teams like Brazil, France and Italy.

Pundits say front runners to replace Boniek include his predecessor Jerzy Engel along with the coach of Polish league leaders Wisla Krakow Henryk Kasperczak, who led Tunisia to the 1998 World Cup finals in France.

"The FA should quickly apologise to Engel or persuade Kasperczak to take over and build the national team around Wisla players, which would certainly allow us to go through to the European championships," said Jan Tomaszewski, Poland's goalkeeper in the 1970s and an outspoken critic of Boniek.

polishsoccer.com

===

No great surprise there, what now for the national team?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Well I dont know too much about Football Polska, but I do know Boniek was a once-Juve player.

IMO it was a mistake to coach the NT so fast. He needs experience. With experience, the board would trust him a lot more- as we see the difference between Lippi/Ancelotti. And experience would make him a better coach too.

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
:LOL: That's the first person I've heard say that in my life! :D
Imagine Inzaghi growing something similar :D

++ [ originally posted by vitoria ] ++

Nekton, where did you get it from?? :eek: :D
the Juventus - One Century Of Emotions DVD :)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
And about Boniek..

Well, here were 2 options when he became a coach: YES! and NO! Many people criticized him as coach of few Italians teams. For the others he was like the only one person, who could save Polish NT. He had big plans of course, but one after one they failed. So it was only a matter of time, when he would resign. But the NO! people even made bets: not: if he will resign, but when.

And the way he resigned: just like that. He even was trying to explain sth later, but .... for me bs ;)

Tomaszewski should shut his mouth up! I remember, after WC he was on the worse Engel's critic. He blames him for such poor performance of NT. He is the person, who knows things the best :mad:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
And here you are interview with Boniek, after he resigned.
For Gazeta Wyborcza ;)

Boniek

I give only link here. Should I translated whole interview?
Nah... :D

And about his lack of experience: it's lack of abilites IMO, not experience

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    Maybe Tomaszewski should take over? :howler:;)

No seriously speaking Boniek wants to be taken seriously, he repeats that in every other sentence. And his message is that we don't have the players to succeed, that which is quite obvious. Nevertheless, Engel did achieve what was not to be believed, he guided these guys right to the first WC in 16 years. There's a measure to mediocrity. Whatever happened, it's all in the past. Apparently Boniek wanted to build from the ground, probably wasn't wrong about that because how can you base your team around a bunch of players ready to retire? It was never going to be easy because the amount of qualified players is scarcely limited. So where is the surprise in his failure? Because frankly this is the reality before our eyes.

So then comes Kasperczak, I have to say I'm not completely familiar with all his achievements but he's reasonably merited. Took Tunisia to France98, took Mali to the semi finals in the AFC where they had never before participated. Even won a coach of the year emblem in the Championnat as far back as 1989. For the present he's making people believe in Wisla, Parma and Schalke have been left to dry as his troops march on. Depending on the draw it could be all over the next round. Evenso he has achieved something which for many (myself included) would seem only as wishful thinking. Of course he is under contract so it would be foolish to let it go.

So who's left, I would like an outside contender. Probably few are willing to take the job of questionable prestige but why value a domestic mediocrily merited contender over a foreign coach with considerable success? How do you come to claim that Nevio Scala would do any worse than Boniek? It's not as if we're coming right off a world cup victory, we're down below looking up, we can afford to "risk it".

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Maybe Tomaszewski should take over? :howler:;)
    No, the only one thing he can do is to criticize, and he is wise enough to know that :D

No seriously speaking Boniek wants to be taken seriously, he repeats that in every other sentence.
    Yes, in EVERY other sentence, like he wants to prove, how seriously he is. Someone who is seriously don't need to repeat that again and again.

And his message is that we don't have the players to succeed, that which is quite obvious. Nevertheless, Engel did achieve what was not to be believed, he guided these guys right to the first WC in 16 years. There's a measure to mediocrity. Whatever happened, it's all in the past.
    Agree, agree..

Apparently Boniek wanted to build from the ground, probably wasn't wrong about that because how can you base your team around a bunch of players ready to retire? It was never going to be easy because the amount of qualified players is scarcely limited. So where is the surprise in his failure? Because frankly this is the reality before our eyes.
    Well, I could agree with things you said, but that's not the point. We don't need to speak about facts - they are obvious. I'm talking about his attitude. It was sth like: it's me, Boniek. Now everything will be ok. And his big plans failed now? No surprise, when he didn't fit plans to reality and possibilitis. That's all.
    And now this resignation: I'm not sure, whether you read it. The way he did it was just pathetic :rolleyes: These exacuses about: football isn't the most important things... don't ask me why... he would do that anyway even if Poland won Latvia :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He should at last behave like adult responsible person and explain his reasons, not just quit without a word.

And I will reply to the rest a bit later ;)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    Yeah "I did not quit because of sporting reasons", what's that supposed to mean? :howler:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Pssssst, it's his secret now :D

And still no news about new coach - no Kasperczak for sure (for now ;)) cause of his success with Wisła now. But curious things about new coach in general - a bit later ;)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    Listening to you is like a tv channel.. "more on that later as we now focus on... " :D

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    So who's left, I would like an outside contender. Probably few are willing to take the job of questionable prestige but why value a domestic mediocrily merited contender over a foreign coach with considerable success? How do you come to claim that Nevio Scala would do any worse than Boniek? It's not as if we're coming right off a world cup victory, we're down below looking up, we can afford to "risk it".
    Well, I would be surprised, if they choose some of foreigners as Polish NT coach. Cause PZPN really didn't want do that. Better from Poland than foreigner. But until now Polish famous coaches: Andrzej Strejlau, Henryk Apostel i Antoni Piechniczek refused. So now Listkiewicz thinks about Jerzy Engel i Stefan Majewski. But honestly there is no such coach in Poland, who could become NT coach now.
    So they have to think about foreigner, no matter they want or no.
    So Listkiewicz start to talk about foreigner, but no names until now. As far we know only one name: Egila "Drillo" Olsena. But he is interested in work here.
    And of course they talk about Werner Liczka.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)