Blatter: "Woman football players should play in hotpants!!!!" (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Soccer chief's plan to boost women's game? Hotpants

Marcus Christenson and Paul Kelso
Friday January 16, 2004
The Guardian

Football's most senior administrator attracted the wrath of the women's game last night by suggesting female players wear tighter shorts to promote "a more female aesthetic".
Sepp Blatter, the president of the world governing body Fifa, said women should have skimpier kit to increase the popularity of the game. "Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball," he said.

"They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

Blatter's comments outraged leading European female footballers, and have threatened to undermine the sport, which has 30 million registered players worldwide.

Pauline Cope, the England and Charlton goalkeeper, said the comments were "typical of a bloke". "He doesn't know what he is talking about," she said. "We don't use a lighter ball for one thing, and to say we should play football in hotpants is plain ridiculous. It's completely irresponsible for a man in a powerful position to make comments like this."

Marieanne Spacey, the manager of Fulham, said Blatter's views were harmful. "Surely it's about skill and tactical ability first and how people look second," she said. "Ten years ago we did play in tighter shorts. Nobody paid attention then."

The Swiss national captain, Evelyn Zimmermann, called the suggestions "horrible". "You can't compare us with volleyball players and, apart from everything else, those shorts are uncomfortable."

Norwegian player Lise Klaveness said hotpants did not suit serious sport.

"As footballers we have to think practically," she said. "If the crowd only wants to come and watch models then they should go and buy a copy of Playboy."

Another Norwegian footballer, Solveig Gulbrandsen, said: "If I wanted to wear a bikini I would have chosen to play beach volleyball."

Women volleyball players wear tight shorts, and in beach volleyball, an Olympic sport played in bikinis, the regulations stipulate a maximum size for their uniforms.

Link

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Word, I now officially place Blatter in the list of leaders that are a disgrace to that what they are leading.

Others are the Pope and our Prime-Minister. :yuck:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
Word, I now officially place Blatter in the list of leaders that are a disgrace to that what they are leading.

Others are the Pope and our Prime-Minister. :yuck:
The Axis of Evil? ;)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
:LOL::LOL: good one!

that guy is really over the top-what kind of moron says something like that? Even if he really thinks that that is a good idea, he should never have said it out loud!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
that guy is really over the top-what kind of moron says something like that? Even if he really thinks that that is a good idea, he should never have said it out loud!
:devil: He's just saying what we were all thinking.

:angel: No he's not. That's offensive.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Pauline Cope, the England and Charlton goalkeeper, said the comments were "typical of a bloke". "He doesn't know what he is talking about," she said. "We don't use a lighter ball for one thing, and to say we should play football in hotpants is plain ridiculous. It's completely irresponsible for a man in a powerful position to make comments like this."
Word.

How disgraceful that he doesn't even have the rules down either :rolleyes:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Word.

How disgraceful that he doesn't even have the rules down either :rolleyes:
I wonder - how did he come to think that? It may have been in the rules originally - the men use a much lighter ball now to the one used 20 or thirty years ago.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Really? The rules are pretty complex when you need to know them all. It's not hard to make a mistake. It's not like he's refereeing women's football!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Matto - why the Pope?

Blatter yeah silly idea. It's easier for the shorts to fall down if they're normal shorts rather than hotpants so keep them as they are. However tighten the shirts (like the Italian national team Kappa one) and ban bras :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Matto - why the Pope?
Need you ask? I'm not blaming him for the Parkinson disease that struck him (though I believe he should have stepped down because of it a long time ago) but his ranting about homosexuality and euthanasia just annoy me.

I mean, we have something called a division between state and church in Western Europe so keep your mouth shut already, you old fool.

No offense to any catholics, don't get me wrong.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Well I would understand taking it against the church in general but the Pope is surely one of the most honourable persons in the world, still trying to bring peace and travelling so much in his state.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Umm err

back to main topic.... I'd love to see a woman's boobies jump up and down in a tight shirt...oh wait I already said :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Am I the only guy in here who thinks most female football players are really NOT attractive at all?

I mean, all sweaty, dirty, shouting, spitting, tackling ... eugh! I'll go for the pretty girl next door thankyouverymuch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)