Birindelli: “The Coppa Italia is fundamental this year” (1 Viewer)

Baggy20M

Aug 15, 2006
“The Coppa Italia is fundamental this year”

“We’ve worked really well over the last few weeks and physically we’re in great shape, even if yesterday’s game was more of a training session than a real test. Piacenza are a good side with some promising young players but we are more concerned with the result on Saturday”. Alessandro Birindelli this afternoon underlined the importance of a successful campaign in the Coppa Italia: “The cup is fundamental to our plans this year. It’s vital we win as it’s the only way we can qualify for Europe. Beginning the campaign in Bari will be a surreal experience, having played our last game of the season there in May. Perhaps it’s destiny, the closing of one chapter and the beginning of the next. We are determined to do what it takes to succeed”. The bianconeri veteran then spoke about the possibility of a year in Serie B: “It’s a very competitive championship, and if that’s where we end up, we will have to play in some hostile environments, from a sporting and physical point of view. However, we have an incredible team for this division, for any division for that matter. Buffon alone is worth at least 7 or 8 points in Serie A so you can imagine how important he might be if we have to play in Serie B this year. It’s just a matter of adapting to a ‘new’ championship, once we overcome the initial difficulties, the quality of our players will make the difference. We are professionals and we are used to getting results when we need them most”. The stand-in captain for these early stages of the season is already familiar with Serie B surroundings: “I won promotion with Empoli there in the 96/97 season. I have good memories but there were also difficult times, it’s a long and stressful season. It’s a competitive championship, there haven’t been any run-away winners in recent years, but then again, there hasn’t been a team like ours”. Birindelli then looked ahead to Friday’s sentence: “We’re hoping for a positive outcome, but whatever the result, we will continue to work hard, with desire and enthusiasm. Everyone here deserves a favourable verdict”. The versatile defender rounded off proceedings with reference to his position of responsibility in the squad: “There are a lot of young players here and there’s a need for experience. The boss asked me if I would play in the centre of defence and lead the line for the early stages of the season and of course I said yes. I will play wherever I am needed, on the left, the right, or in the middle”.

Buy on AliExpress.com

GRK

Guitar God
Oct 19, 2004
Yeah, Europe next season through the Coppa is the only way if currently in Serie B, so we can't argue with that.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
I really like the role Birindelli has taken this season. I think he could be fundemental this season. a great personality.

forza Birindelli

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
We have a big enough squad to compete for both. Considering we still have our champions with us I dont see why cant we win both. Also im sure this was part of the wider project that deschamp and gigli talked about to ensure buffon, treze e.t. stay.

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
2 year absence from Champions League are very very bad... Financial point of view and Cup UEFA don't have much in common.
That's what I think, ofcourse.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
markoni said:
2 year absence from Champions League are very very bad... Financial point of view and Cup UEFA don't have much in common.
That's what I think, ofcourse.
just imagine how much money juve will get for covering the uefa cup games on TV..

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
I don't think much. Do you think that many people is going to watch Juve against, for example, Steaue or CSKA Sofia or Trabzonspor or...

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
markoni said:
I don't think much. Do you think that many people is going to watch Juve against, for example, Steaue or CSKA Sofia or Trabzonspor or...
mate, juve is juve, I would even watch the juve training and all friendlies, and I am sure that I am not the only one.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
You have a point markoni, that it wont be nowhere as much money as CL, to a certain extent I dont believe it would have create a bigger image either. However do you honestly believe that we aint capable of winning both coppa and promotion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)