Best Players (1 Viewer)

sheva

Aug 7, 2002
Hey guys, I figured that we could have a Best Players discussion, where we all identify a position and list the best players in the world there. I don't think there is another thread on this, so..
Best Playmakers in the world are :
Rui Costa
Zidane
Aimar
Totti
Rivaldo
D'allesandro
Veron
Valeron etc.
Try to get at least ten in each position
p.s. what is the difference between playmaker and trequarista ???

Buy on AliExpress.com

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
there is a difference between a playmaker and an attacking midfielder.

Zidane, rui costa, totti, aimar are playamkers in my books.

Veron, Scholes, Emre, Valeron would be attacking midfielders.

Playmakers generally stay in the hole behind the forwards and are not really used to help defend in the midfield, soley used to attack through....some are used in a 3-4-1-2 formation, ie. totti normally, zidane at juve. some are used in a 4-4-2 formation, ie, Zidane at Real Madrid now.

Attacking midfielders are different again. they help out the midfield a lot more, and attack, but defend if needed. Scholes or Veron at Man utd do it well. Luis Enrique as well.

a trequarista is something like what nedved is at juve at the moment i guess.....or maybe even totti at times. its a hard one i guess to explain.

i'll just mix them all up as one:

zidane
rui costa
totti
aimar
riquelme
nedved
veron
emre
velaron
ronaldinho

LeRoi

Sep 3, 2002
Trequartista is the italian word for attacking midfielder. Zidane at juve was a trequartista (attacking midfielder if you want), but he played as playnmaker too because all the balls were played by him in the midfield.

In milan today we have a clear example that explain the difference:
Rui Costa is an attacker midfielder (or trequartista), and Pirlo plays as playmaker (or Redondo when Pirlo is on the bench).
Milan today:

sheva inzaghi

rui costa [attacker midfielder or trequartista]

left midfielder right midfielder

pirlo (or redondo) [playmaker]

defender defender defender defender

:dazed:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The nomenclature may vary but I see an important difference between the two terms. Much like Adrian suggested, to me the trequartista is the player behind the strikers, involved in the offensive play exclusively (well often). That is Zidane, Rui Costa etc. Totti too I think.

But playmaker is a wider term IMO and in most cases means a player who distributes the balls, often playing deeper. That could be Veron, Pirlo for instance.

In short, the trequartista is there in many cases to give the final assist for a goal. The playmaker organizes the plays, not necessarily making assists.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by deepblue ] ++
Can some one explain the difference between 3-4-1-2 and 3-3-1-3 and 4-3-2-1 formations.
3-4-1-2

means
3 defenders usually central defenders,
4 m/fs which 2 will be wing backs and 2 holding midfielders,

1 trequartista who is the go to guy who initiates most of the attacking play e.g Zidane Rui Costa, Totti

2 strikers

3-3-1-3

is with 3 defenders

3 midfielders
1 playmaker a deeplying player in the Pirlo mode

3 strikers with something like Rivaldo , Sheva and Inzaghi

4-3-2-1

4 defenders, 2 central and 2 full backs

3 midfielders

2 second puntas like Totti and Dp or Dp and Miccolli

1 central striker
like Vieri or Trez

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
3-4-1-2

means
3 defenders usually central defenders,
4 m/fs which 2 will be wing backs and 2 holding midfielders,

1 trequartista who is the go to guy who initiates most of the attacking play e.g Zidane Rui Costa, Totti

2 strikers

3-3-1-3

is with 3 defenders

3 midfielders
1 playmaker a deeplying player in the Pirlo mode

3 strikers with something like Rivaldo , Sheva and Inzaghi

4-3-2-1

4 defenders, 2 central and 2 full backs

3 midfielders

2 second puntas like Totti and Dp or Dp and Miccolli

1 central striker
like Vieri or Trez
:);)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Pirlo's role would be considered more as a registra, which is in effect, a playmaker. A midfielder which sets up the general play from attacking to defend. Pirlo is not classic in this sense, as he is more of a distributor of ball then general in the midfield. Albertini and Pep Guardiola are classic registra in my opinion. Ballack is another one I can think of.

Trequarsista, is the guy who plays behind forwards, which is in effect, AMC. Trequarsista tends to be fantasista like Zidane, Rui, Aimar who do unexpected on regular basis. However, that is not always the case, sometimes Trequarsista can be more of goal scorer than assist man, a la Paul Scholes, and Nedved.

All this terms are made more convinience so don't pay too much attention. At the end of day, each player has their own characteristics, so they will show different aspects of game even if they may play similar position.

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Jun got it about right :D Here's the definition I got for some terms ...

> Could someone please help in explaining what's the
> difference between a fantasista and a trequartista?

Trequartista (rough English translation = three-quart) is a player that roams around the 3/4 of the field, halfway between the midfield and the two strikers in the 4-3-1-2 or 3-4-1-2 or whatever. He's the "1".

Fantasista is not a position, it's just a way of defining a player that has finesse, etc.

In Juve, for example, Zidane was the trequartista while both Zidane and Del Piero were dubbed fantasista. Del Piero played trequartista (behind the two strikers) only on those occasions when Zidane didn't play.

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2002
The best playmaker todat is Totti ..... Rui Costa comes second but he is not like totti ............ i still remember his assist to cassano against Juve ...........

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
yeah, totti is by far the best playmaker in italy. imagine him in juve...we should make a move on him if ever he chooses to leave roma. i'd rather have an arch-rival in our team rather than milan or inter to have him...

Jul 12, 2002
Best Goalkeepers:

1. Oliver Kahn
2. Santiago Canizares
3. Gianluigi Buffon
4. Sander Westerveld
5. Carlo Cudicini
6. Iker Cassillas
7. Maarten Stekelenberg
8. Francesco Toldo
9. Ulrich Rame
10. Shay Given

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Did you promote Buffon, Ian? :);)
Surely you don't think that I am so one sided as to not see Buffon's abilities, but that list was not made in any particular order...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
Surely you don't think that I am so one sided as to not see Buffon's abilities, but that list was not made in any particular order...
I just happened to see a list you made not long ago ranking a few more name over Buffon but since you said this wasn't a ranking that would explain it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)