Best Goalkeepers (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
It's not that Van der Sar was particualrly bad, or that Dutch keepers in general don't fit Italy. Rather, it is that Juventus are so nationalist, it is unacceptable to have a foreign keeper.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
That too but I think the difference between the Dutch league and the Italian league is often underestimated by Dutch players moving there.

In Holland, there's an attacking minded play. Teams go forward the entire match long and if forwards miss a shot, that's alright because there will be others. If a keeper lets one ball hit the net, it's nothing out of the ordinary - he's probably already made a dozen of good saves and the rest of the team will go forward again to claim a goal on the other end of the pitch.

In Italy, it's different. Strikers may only get two chances per match and are hence trained differently and in practice they are more accurate, more sharp than Dutch strikers. Keepers on the other hand may find it difficult to deal with that.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
That too but I think the difference between the Dutch league and the Italian league is often underestimated by Dutch players moving there.

In Holland, there's an attacking minded play. Teams go forward the entire match long and if forwards miss a shot, that's alright because there will be others. If a keeper lets one ball hit the net, it's nothing out of the ordinary - he's probably already made a dozen of good saves and the rest of the team will go forward again to claim a goal on the other end of the pitch.

In Italy, it's different. Strikers may only get two chances per match and are hence trained differently and in practice they are more accurate, more sharp than Dutch strikers. Keepers on the other hand may find it difficult to deal with that.
But you can't deny that while he was here, Edwin was the best keepr in Serie A. You also can't deny that the team was less than perfect, and Edwin saved them from certain defeat at least as many times as he was blamed for their defeat.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Hey, no need to defend it against me, mate! I'm a Van der Sar fan!

I still remember the very frequent news articles on the Juventus website about him setting records in holding clean sheets!

Jul 12, 2002
Hey, no need to defend it against me, mate! I'm a Van der Sar fan!

I still remember the very frequent news articles on the Juventus website about him setting records in holding clean sheets!
I still have them on my wall!!!

Jul 12, 2002
I printed all of them so undoubtedly they're still here somewhere but my deks is such a mess...
I have several of those type of things framed on the wall at my office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)