[BE] Jupiler League (1 Viewer)

Geof

May 14, 2004
I was just wondering, what about starting a belgian league thread.
Ok, it's not the most exciting league, and almost only belgians follow it, but it happens to be my national league.
So? any belgians willing to share thoughts about it? Are am I the last one who cares about Anderlecht, Brugge, Standard,...

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thread Renamed

There you have it, a belgian league thread :D

btw I don't mean to sound shallow or anything, but I stopped caring about Anderlecht when Seol left ;)

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Ok hers the table during the 7th day of competition. Brugge is leading with already 4 points.
    Anderlecht lost their second competion match in Charleroi(2-1), while Brugge won easily (1-6) in FC Brussels, with 4 goals by Bosko Balaban.

Note the deceiving start of Standard and Genk (only 13th and 10th...)

The 2 newcomers are also quite deceiving: Oostende is last with only 2 points, and FC Brussels aren't performing well either, with 4 points in 7 games ( as already sais they lost 1-6 at home against Brugge)...

Matches/ Points
    1 Club Brugge 7 19
    2 Anderlecht 7 15
    3 La Louvière 6 13
    4 Charleroi 7 12
    5 Moeskroen 6 11
    6 Westerlo 6 11
    7 Lokeren 6 11
    8 Germinal Beerschot 6 9
    9 AA Gent 6 9
    10 KRC Genk 6 9
    11 Lierse 6 7
    12 Cercle Brugge 6 7
    13 Standard 6 5
    14 Beveren 6 5
    15 Bergen 6 5
    16 FC Brussels 7 4
    17 Sint-Truiden 6 2
    18 Oostende 6 2

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Anderlecht leek vorige week heel sterk, maar tegen Charleroi stelden ze dan weer niks voor. Wel grappig dat een Peersman die woedend is omdat hij zijn basisplaats kwijt is, blundert zogauw hij er weer in staat.

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    yeah.

I think Peersman is very arrogant! remember last year? he said he would be playing for Real Madrid:dielaugh: once :blah::blah:!!

He's a good keeper though, but he thinks he's too good for Belgium...

I've been impressed by Bosko Balaban. He's a killer!!

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
    Mons isn't in the top division?
    Yes they are, but this is from a flemish site. The flemish name for Mons is Bergen.

I know it's weird, but that's Belgium...:cool:

EDIT: btw, Mons are coached by a forme Juve player: Sergio Brio!!

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Erkka ] ++
    Tihinen and Niemi kick ass... :D Not to mention Roiha... :D
    For me the best players of the league are:

Aruna Dindane
    Vincent Kompany
    Pär Zetterberg
    Sergio Conceicão
    Bosko Balaban
    Mbo Mpenza

Dec 27, 2003
    I remember a time when Belgian teams were our "bête noire". When Bruges would draw in San Siro against defending European Champions Milan and be overcome in the return match only by a late and somewhat lucky goal by newly-entered Carbone (not Benito). When that same stellar Milan would beat Malines only after extra-time in a fought to the teeth game. A Malines team that had brilliantly won the Cup's Winners' Cup a few years before against Van Basten's Ajax. I remember Anderlecht playing Sampdoria in the 1990 final of that competition. Heck, I even remember Waregem humiliating Milan in the 1985 UEFA Cup.

Last night I saw a half decent Inter trash Anderlecht 3-1 in Brussels as if it was some serie C1 team. Whatever happened to those well-organised, defensively solid and very cynical Belgian teams that would upset the allegedly big clubs of Europe on a regular basis? Where did that impressive Belgian National Team of World Cup 1990 go? (the best team of the tournament IMO, even if it didn't reach the semi as it had done 4 years before). Is the choice of the name "Jupiler League" (naming it after a beer kinda makes it sound like a "pub league") an acknowledgement of the near disappearance of Belgian football from the scene?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    I remember a time when Belgian teams were our "bête noire". When Bruges would draw in San Siro against defending European Champions Milan and be overcome in the return match only by a late and somewhat lucky goal by newly-entered Carbone (not Benito). When that same stellar Milan would beat Malines only after extra-time in a fought to the teeth game. A Malines team that had brilliantly won the Cup's Winners' Cup a few years before against Van Basten's Ajax. I remember Anderlecht playing Sampdoria in the 1990 final of that competition. Heck, I even remember Waregem humiliating Milan in the 1985 UEFA Cup.

Last night I saw a half decent Inter trash Anderlecht 3-1 in Brussels as if it was some serie C1 team. Whatever happened to those well-organised, defensively solid and very cynical Belgian teams that would upset the allegedly big clubs of Europe on a regular basis? Where did that impressive Belgian National Team of World Cup 1990 go? (the best team of the tournament IMO, even if it didn't reach the semi as it had done 4 years before). Is the choice of the name "Jupiler League" (naming it after a beer kinda makes it sound like a "pub league") an acknowledgement of the near disappearance of Belgian football from the scene?
    Well, IIRC Club Brugge did win in San Siro last year and I believe the Belgians deserved to win against Brazil in the 2002 world cup. But you're right, we're not cynical enough anymore. I believe that thanks to those good results, when we had great teams, we thought we would have those teams forever and therefore changed our style into a more attacking kind of play. Naturally when you're going to play attacking football with an inferior side chances are high you're going to be trashed.

Dec 27, 2003
    Ohhh Belgium were definitely robbed against Brazil in 2002, and yes Bruges did win in Milan last year, but really that was a pyrrhic victory. I haven't seen Belgium enough to be able to say if they do indeed play attacking football now, but at the end of the day the problem really is, as you said, one of quality. The current players that make up the NT are not even worth kissing the boots of the Scifo, Ceulemans, Degryse, Albert, Preud'homme, De Wolf etc that came before them. And, again, I believe this owes a lot to the fact that Belgian club teams have been rather anonymous on the European stage for some time now, and that the Belgian League itself, which used to produce talents ready to emigrate to bigger leagues, has been gradually pauperized. A pity, really.

Now, what can you tell me about Vincent Kompany? And is Baseggio still any good? I was hoping that he'd join Milan, as I see him as an ideal alternative to Pirlo..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    Ohhh Belgium were definitely robbed against Brazil in 2002, and yes Bruges did win in Milan last year, but really that was a pyrrhic victory. I haven't seen Belgium enough to be able to say if they do indeed play attacking football now, but at the end of the day the problem really is, as you said, one of quality. The current players that make up the NT are not even worth kissing the boots of the Scifo, Ceulemans, Degryse, Albert, Preud'homme, De Wolf etc that came before them. And, again, I believe this owes a lot to the fact that Belgian club teams have been rather anonymous on the European stage for some time now, and that the Belgian League itself, which used to produce talents ready to emigrate to bigger leagues, has been gradually pauperized. A pity, really.

Now, what can you tell me about Vincent Kompany? And is Baseggio still any good? I was hoping that he'd join Milan, as I see him as an ideal alternative to Pirlo..
    Baseggio has been quite disappointing this season, he isn't even a regular for Anderlecht anymore. He does play like Pirlo, or at least tries to, but he's not a valid alternative in my opinion.

Kompany, well, he's going to be the best defender in the world in 2, 3 years time. He's strong, technically gifted, his positioning is good and he isn't scared of talking, which is a plus when you're only 17.

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    Kaiser Franco: I'm happy to see you're interested in belgian football.

About the name of the league: yes, it's officially called Jupiler League, but no one calls it like that. We called it D1 in french and eerste klasse in flemish.

I think Seven answered your questions about Kompany and Bassegio. Bassegio is really disappointing this season. He has a hard time. NT coach Antheunis didn't select him for the match against Spain.
    About Kompany: he's brilliant, I'm pretty sure he'll leave for a big club at the end of this season. Arsenal, Inter and Chelsea were the clubs most linked with him. I'm not sure he'll be the best defender in the world though...

The problem with our league is that there are too many small clubs. There's no way Brugge or Anderlecht can higher up their level by playing small clubs all year round. There have been proposals for a BeNe-league (Belgium + the Netherlands) which could be very interesting IMO. It would at leastbring more good clubs together. Plus the distances are very short between these to countries. I really think it would benefit both countries, and would attract more players. I don't know what this project has become...

Anderlecht was very disappointing against Valencia and Inter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)