Barcelona - Juventus (4 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Denco,
you are right I am on the bandwagon here, and its a bit cynical of me to talk with hindsight.;):D. However, with hindsight (to be honest, I too were a bit distressed with Zala and Biri substitution at that time), Lippi's tactics did help us to win the game in my opinion. I personally reckon that decision to switch Thuram, to the centre, and bring on Birindelli made our defence a much more solid. Although Barca had majority of possession, and virtually camped in our half in the extra time, I can't recall a decent chance they had after Xavi scored beside Kluivert's effort. Also, I think there is no shame in admitting GK played well. After all, GK is part of the team and game.
Although we did not create chances after Davids sending off, the reason we were able to score was that Barca attacked too much and left defence exposed. Ok, it was only once, but Barca fan would probably feel the effect of that only one. If anything, I give full credit to our players who took the chance.
Now let's turn our attention to Man U and Real game. Man U had a bright start and seemed intent on scoring from early on. I give them my applause for such refreshing attitude. However, did they had to attack so valiantly from the beginning because once they conceded that goal they had to score 3 to just force the game into extra time. Did Man U had to score 4, when they could just hold for 2 and let Real not score? This is not criticizing Fergie, who in my view took very gutsy decision, and showed delightful attitude towards attacking, however, I can't get the taste off my mouth that Man U were a bit naive.
What Lippi did against Barca was indeed cynical but in the end, we wend through.
The reason I criticize Lippi for the first leg is not because we drew but we did not play like a homeside, and realistically at that time, attacking was our best option. Second leg, on the other hand, as Zizou correctly mentioned, we were on the back foot, and always looked second best in terms of possession. My belief is that there is no point scoring 4goals if you are going to conceded 5.
However, I do admit that I may have little hyped Lippi up, since there is little what coach can do but I do think that he made many critical decisions which proved to be right.:)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Most of you guys disagreeing with me would have felt the same way as I do if we would have gone to the shootout and lost !!! Just as bad is if they would have scored on their many attacks in the second half. We we're lucky !!!!

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Vinman we were lucky but certainly we did better this season overall than before. and way better than when we had lotti.

and from what i can see we arent on a downward slide by any means....i mean half our players havent reached a CL semifinal in their life!!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Most of you guys disagreeing with me would have felt the same way as I do if we would have gone to the shootout and lost !!! Just as bad is if they would have scored on their many attacks in the second half. We we're lucky !!!!
Realistically, our only chance to win was through the penalties (or shootout as you call it). The goal came through an episode, as things were, we had to wait for the end of the 120 mins to have a good chance to win.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I dont know if lppi was right or not. the only thing i know is by attacking barza, we will surelu lose, and for more than 2 goals.

How can you say that we must be attacking, when in that moment, we simply have not attackers. It would be insane to attack a barca that were dominaitng the midfield totally.

We were ismply inoffensive against them because of the expulsion of dadiz , who as doing quite well in the mid, an the out of form of dp and divaio.

IN the penaltttys we must be "supposedly" in advantage because we have buffom, but that is not a guarantee-.In that stage evrything can happen.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Jun, I am not saying Lippi did nothing to make our defence better but as you rightly pointed out he was aided by silly Antic making unnecessary susbstitutions and being so negative in the first leg

As for Man united , well its not naivety but necessity that made them play that way as there is no team in this world that can outplay Real madrid so trying to bide your time and go for the kill is a waste of time against as no team has players of that ilk

Your only chance is to go at them with pace and gusto and rattle them, get them out of their stride for a while becos u cannot do it for 90 mins but playing cat and mouse with them and ud be murdered

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
i am not sure i got what you ment.... :rolleyes:
are you talking to me?

I just said that this thread is the first one I posted in at juventuz.com ;)

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
:wth: you're a strange one Lilianna
no i am not.
i just didn't understand why you said:actually it's funny you should say that. This is the first thread I ever posted in at these forums

then i said i wasn't sure what did you mean by this,you didn't aswer me and i went on with the "discussion".
that's all.

not a big ideal,right? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)