Barcelona - Juventus (10 Viewers)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
It's difficult to cheer when Juve lose (which in this season happened only about 5 times), and there would be even less to cheer if both Milan and Inter qualify :(

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
It's difficult to cheer when Juve lose (which in this season happened only about 5 times), and there would be even less to cheer if both Milan and Inter qualify :(
Imagine you were supporting Torino... :D

Ferrari^M

Sep 3, 2002
David Trezeguet will not feature for Juventus against Barcelona after failing to recover from injury.

The Frenchman has returned to training since suffering a shoulder problem in the 2-0 win over Torino two weeks ago but isn’t ready for Tuesday’s game.

Reports over the past few days suggested that the former Monaco man could return to the bench tomorrow evening but the striker has been left in Turin.

Boss Marcello Lippi is now expected to field Marco Di Vaio alongside Alex Del Piero at the Nou Camp after their decent showing against Roma on Saturday.

He will need them at their best again as Juve need a win or a high scoring draw in Spain after the 1-1 first leg result.

The odds certainly seem to be against the Italian giants but midfielder Pavel Nedved is optimistic that his side can reach the Champions’ League semi-finals.

"If they want to knock us out of the tournament then they will have to work hard for it," said the Czech ace.

"We will not be intimidated by the 120,000 fans at the Nou Camp. We already showed our worth at the Delle Alpi in the first game."

Lippi is likely to field a 4-4-2 in Barcelona with ‘keeper Gigi Buffon guarded by a back four of Lilian Thuram, Ciro Ferrara, Paolo Montero and Gianluca Zambrotta.

Alessio Tacchinardi and Edgar Davids will start in the centre of midfield, aided by Nedved and winger Mauro Camoranesi.

Italian internationals Del Piero and Di Vaio should get the striking duties.

Football Italia

:(

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
The ref is Poll so Nedved and Del Piero will have to try and not fall too easily as he won't whistle much.

We shall have to use Di Vaio's speed, especially since probably Barca will play with Anderson as central defender and Puyol on the right since Gabri is missing. High balls will be useless so I hope we will play short low balls like Camoranesi and Nedved did last Saturday.

Come on Juve, you can make it!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
As that very good match preview portrayed, this match is there for the taking. Barca's defence is nothing that can't be opened up, and as was well noted in the preview, Bonano is NOT a good goalkeeper!!!! If we (mainly Del Piero and Nedved) get any, I mean ANY space in and around Barca's box, we need to shoot. Get the ball on target, make Bonano work.

IMVHO, Barcelona's defence should never be considered as good... far from it infact, and we need to take advantage of this.

Corner kicks, free kicks, etc. need to be made the most of because we are definetely stronger than our opponents in the air.

If all goes well, we should be able to get at least a draw, and this will be a match of goals... alot of goals.

FORZA JUVE PER SEMPRE!!!!!!!!!! JUVE SEMPRE E SOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
that austin guy make a very good preview.. he is right in a lot of things.....
but anyways,, like you said people....we only have to domiate the ball, and break that defence, that is the weak point of barca.

for god!! Divaio!! this must be you game!!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
i hope Barca dont Produce an amazing display of control, defense and counter attack as they have when they beat Inter 3-0!!!

Juve will need to be in TOP form and i mean TOP (as in the best performace of the season offensively and defensivley) to beat Barca.

I predict a War at camp nou!! with either a LOT of goals (3-2) or no goals at all.

It all depends on Lippi's tactics!

BTW, the preview is great Martin :thumb: and i agree with the review, especially the first 4 of 5 ingredients mentioned.

BTW, Welcome back Martin...hope you had a good vac :D

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Well guys u've written all already.....nothing to add....
Just wishin' luck to our Signora....
1st WE CAN BEAT THEM!(I have a good feelin' about the game)
2nd And don't be 2 upset if we will knocked out,i mean still we did a progress this year(Comparin' to the last one's)
We passed the 2-nd round finally and played not badly.And 1/4 finals is not bad at all.Although we are getin' closer to the scudetto one more time!:touched::cheesy::touched:
Well see ya tomo',Cross your fingers guys.(Btw,i'm new here :),AMAZING Forum here!really good one,i enjoy here alot!)
:cool:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roman ] ++
Well guys u've written all already.....nothing to add....
Just wishin' luck to our Signora....
1st WE CAN BEAT THEM!(I have a good feelin' about the game)
2nd And don't be 2 upset if we will knocked out,i mean still we did a progress this year(Comparin' to the last one's)
We passed the 2-nd round finally and played not badly.And 1/4 finals is not bad at all.Although we are getin' closer to the scudetto one more time!:touched::cheesy::touched:
Well see ya tomo',Cross your fingers guys.(Btw,i'm new here :),AMAZING Forum here!really good one,i enjoy here alot!)
:cool:
I am sorry I have to disagree, no not with the amazing forum bit but with you saying is getting to 1'4s is a good achievement as its not, the likes of Real madrid, Milan, Juve, Barcelona,Man United and some others like Bayern should be looking to win or at the very least be in the final itself. We have underachieved in this competition if you consider how smaller teams like Ajax have done

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I am sorry I have to disagree, no not with the amazing forum bit but with you saying is getting to 1'4s is a good achievement as its not, the likes of Real madrid, Milan, Juve, Barcelona,Man United and some others like Bayern should be looking to win or at the very least be in the final itself. We have underachieved in this competition if you consider how smaller teams like Ajax have done
how about juve played to it's expected potential and Ajax are the ones who OVER-Achieved ;)

seriously, i agree that with juve's history, less than the trophy is unacceptable. But, being realistic, juve havn't exaclty looked like a CL-winning team. That's why i agree that a semi-final spot is a bit over what we deserve!!
(keep in mind that this doesn't mean that we would accept a loss now....we would only expect it)

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
Well that's just it, the underachivement of Juve and other Italian clubs has given fans an ínferiority complex. As if we were just by-standers to Real Madrid's path to glory.

This has to stop. And what better way to stop it than to beat Barcelona in the quarter-finals and get on our way to Old Trafford.

Yes, I'm hoping Juve will reach the finals. Why should I hope for less? It wasn't too long ago that we participated in three of them.

So let's cross our fingers or hold our thumbs or whatever we do for good luck in our respective countries. 'Cause if the fans can't have hope, then who can?

So what if we get disappointed if Juve loose? That's what supporting a team is all about.

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
By Tim Hanlon, PA International, Barcelona

All of the air will escape from Barcelona's hot-air balloon if they crash out of the Champions League on Tuesday.

Quarter-final opponents Juventus are streaking towards a second successive Scudetto but Barca, mid-table in the Primera Liga and out of the Copa del Rey, must win to stay in the hunt for a trophy this season.

Winning the Champions League is also crucial because that is the only way Barca will play in the lucrative competition next year.

"I have spoken with my players and I have told them that Tuesday is D-Day," said Barcelona coach Raddy Antic.

Antic's men are all square 1-1 with the Turin side after the first-leg thanks to Javier Saviola's away goal.

The Azulgrana go into the match buoyed by an impressive 1-1 draw with bitter rivals and La Liga leaders Real Madrid at the weekend

Thiago Motta particularly stood out in midfield against Zinedine Zidane and Barca will see themselves unlucky to have only drawn after a Gaizka Mendieta goal was unjustly ruled off-side.

Antic said that Saturday's result, which brought to an end a run of two straight defeats in the league, is an important morale booster.

"We needed the reaction which we produced and now it will be a lot easier for us to prepare for Tuesday," the Serbo-Montenegrin said.

"We must be conscious that this will be a big final. I am sure that our play in Madrid is significant, we have to all be united to get the victory as the rewards are extremely high.

"What we do now before the game will pay dividends against Juventus. We must concentrate and make the most of the training."

Antic says that the Mendieta decision was just another bad call in a long line of officiating mistakes which have plagued Barcelona this year.

"We believe we have been dealt with unjustly in the derby but that is now in the past and we are now thinking about what is to come," he said, adding that Saviola, who was suspended for the Madrid clash, will return to the side and will play up front with Patrick Kluivert.

Juan Roman Riquelme is likely to be on the bench after failing to make an impression after coming on as a late substitute against Madrid.

The Argentine made public his problems at being played out of position last week and Antic hit back saying the team needs to stick together.

"I read the comments by Riquelme and as always I look at what he is doing now and what he has done in the past," he said, "first I wanted continuity and now it can be seen he is not playing well and has problems in his position.

"I don't want these things to break the group, I want to see him to perform at his best but he must play his part."

Antic will employ a four-man defence with Xavi and Motta sitting just in front of the backline.

Gabri is suspended while defender Juan Pablo Sorin, who played for Lazio earlier in the competition, will only be a spectator.

Antic will insert Michael Reiziger at left back and withdraw Gaizka Mendieta to right back. Luis Enrique, outstanding against Madrid and the scorer of Barca's goal, will line up on the right side of midfield with the pacy Marc Overmars on the left.

As Antic announced Javier Saviola, having not played against Madrid, will return to the side and play just behind Patrick Kluivert who will lead the attack.

Juve are aiming to restore the image of Italian football.

Historically Juve have a mighty task - their last win on Spanish soil was 33 years ago when they beat, of all teams, Barcelona.

And they also travel to the Catalan capital knowing Barca have a vital away goal courtesy of Saviola's equaliser.

But Lippi was delighted with his team's 2-1 win over Roma in Serie A on Saturday and believes they are ready to take on Barca in their Nou Camp fortress, an arena he has never visited competitively despite a long career as a top-flight coach.

"I am satisfied. I have seen the Juve that I like: focused, determined, humble and precise," said Lippi on the club's official website, www.juventus.it

"We arrive in Barcelona with a lot of faith in our play, also thanks to the strikers that are playing well. I think that we can score a goal in Spain and if it ends 2-2 we can still qualify," said Lippi.

Saturday's win has given extra belief to a team leading the Italian campaign for greater success on the European stage after a relatively lean spell.

No Italian team has won the Champions League since Juve in 1995-6, while the UEFA Cup has eluded Italian clutches since Parma triumphed in 1999.

In fact, Lippi's team were also the last Serie A team to even reach the semi-finals of the Champions League when they were knocked out by Manchester United in 1999 during Lippi's first spell in charge.

While Juve have an arduous task at the Nou Camp, Inter and AC Milan also have difficult assignments if they are to reach the last four.

The Nerazzurri travel to play Valencia at the Mestalla stadium with a 1-0 lead from the first leg and AC Milan host Ajax Amsterdam at the San Siro after a goalless draw at the ArenA two weeks ago.

But it is Juve who lead the way as reigning Italian champions and current Serie A leaders, and Barca will provide unpredictable opposition.

The Spaniards have yet to taste defeat in Europe this season and they have the support of home fans starved of domestic success, making them narrow favourites.

But Barcelona's Primera Liga season has been appalling, and they are a lowly 12th on the table.

That is in sharp contrast to the Bianconeri's status as prime contenders to lift the Italian title for a second successive year - and the 27th time in their history.

Alessandro Del Piero struck twice in the win over Roma and Lippi's team now have a six-point lead over second-placed Inter Milan with five matches left to play.

Lippi will not have the services of French striker David Trezeguet who has not travelled with the team because he is still recovering from a shoulder injury he picked up on April 12.

But the good news is the recovery of Czech playmaker Pavel Nedved from a foot injury and he will take his place in the starting line-up.

Lippi is set to introduce Marco Di Vaio as a second striker alongside Del Piero, dropping midfielder Igor Tudor to the bench and changing the tactical approach as a result.

Del Piero is the club's top scorer in the Serie A this season while Di Vaio has only just come back from an ankle injury.

A Juve win or a 2-2 draw will place Juve in the semi-finals of the Champions League after a wait of four years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)