Barca against AIDS (1 Viewer)

Geof

May 14, 2004
Tonight in Nou Camp, Barca will meet an all-stars team coached by Johann Cruyff.

Rijkaard promised to play as much first teamers as possible, while Cruyff called a very international side, with some great stars.

I don't expect great football (won't watch the match dunno where it's broadcasted) but I like this kind of initiatives.

There is no Juve player selected:down: that's too bad.

Two belgian players though: Kompany and Van Buyten.

Barça: Víctor Valdés and Rubén (goalkeepers); Puyol, Belletti, Oleguer, Van Bronckhorst, Fernando Navarro, Damià, Rodri, Mora, Dani Fragoso and Peña (defenders); Xavi, Deco, Márquez, Iniesta, Arnau, Verdú (midfielders); Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Giuly, Messi, Javito and Cristian (forwards).

All Stars: Benedict McCarthy (South Africa), Vincent Kompany (Belgium), Michallis Kapsis (Greece), Kalu Uche (Nigeria), Michael Owen (England), Christian Obodo (Nigeria), Christian Abbiati (Italy), Christian Brocchi (Italy), Fernando Torres (Spain), Martin Petrov (Bulgaria), Andrés D'Alessandro (Argentina), Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan), Jorge Campos (Mexico), Alexander Ostlund (Sweden), Amedeo Carboni (Italy), Rubén Baraja (Spain), Delron Buckley (South Africa), Julián Escudé (France), Mauricio Pochettino (Argentina), Valeri Bojinov (Bulgaria), Daniel Van Buyten (Belgium) and Gabriel Heinze (Argentina).

Buy on AliExpress.com

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++
All Stars: Benedict McCarthy (South Africa), Vincent Kompany (Belgium), Michallis Kapsis (Greece), Kalu Uche (Nigeria), Michael Owen (England), Christian Obodo (Nigeria), Christian Abbiati (Italy), Christian Brocchi (Italy), Fernando Torres (Spain), Martin Petrov (Bulgaria), Andrés D'Alessandro (Argentina), Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan), Jorge Campos (Mexico), Alexander Ostlund (Sweden), Amedeo Carboni (Italy), Rubén Baraja (Spain), Delron Buckley (South Africa), Julián Escudé (France), Mauricio Pochettino (Argentina), Valeri Bojinov (Bulgaria), Daniel Van Buyten (Belgium) and Gabriel Heinze (Argentina).
All Stars?

:howler:

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
The most important thing is the purpose the game is held for...it's always good to see famous teams and superstars playing for such a noble purpose

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
I think they selected player with good reputation on and off the pitch, as you can see Beckham is not on the list:rolleyes:

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    fcbarcelona.es:

FC BARCELONA, 4
    WORLD ALL-STARS, 3

FC BARCELONA: Valdés (Rubén, min.46), Damiá (Belletti, min.46), Puyol (Oleguer, min.46), Navarro (Mora, min.71), Van Bronckhorst (Peña, min.46), Fragoso (Márquez, min.46), Deco (Xavi, min.46), Iniesta (Verdú, min.46), Giuly (Messi, min.28) (Rodri, min.82), Ronaldinho (Javito, min.46) AND Cristian (Eto'o, min.46).

WORLD ALL-STARS: Jorge Campos (Abbiati, min.46), Ostlund, Kompany, Pochettino (Kapsis, min.46), Carboni (Escudé, min.46), Obodo (Buckley), Nakata (Jorge Campos, min.71), Baraja (Van Buyten, min.46), Uche (Petrov, min.46), Bojinov (D'Alessandro, min.46) and Owen (McCarthy, min.46).

Goals: 1-0, Iniesta (15'); 1-1, Nakata (18'); 2-1, Deco (27'); 3-1, Messi (31'); 3-2, McCarthy (50'); 4-2, Belletti (84'); 4-3, Petrov (87').

Referee: Xavier Moreno Delgado. 33,364 spectators. Before the kick-off, the famous Catalan theatre group Dagoll Dagom gave a performance to illustrate the need to fight AIDS and, above all, provide adequate treatment to all sufferers especially in Africa and Latin America. The match was organized jointly by Médicins Sans Frontières, Barcelona newspaper Sport, Televisió de Catalunya and FC Barcelona.

Tuesday night's benefit match for AIDS victims ended in a 4-3 win for FC Barcelona against a World Eleven.

The result was the least important thing in a match that aimed to highlight the plight of people in the poorest parts of the world who are deprived of the most effective forms of treatment for AIDS. 33,364 people in the Nou Camp were able to enjoy the spectacle on offer from some of the biggest names in football and make their own small contribution to improve the lot of millions of AIDS victims around the world.

Pupil against master

Frank Rijkaard put out a different team in each half with a combination of youngsters from the reserve squad - such as Damià, Cristian, Dani Fragoso and Messi - with first team regulars such as Valdés, Gio, Puyol, Deco, Giuly, Iniesta and Ronaldinho.

Johan Cruyff and Barca director of football Txiki Begiristain were in charge of the World Eleven which included retired keeper Jorge Campos, Valencia's Carboni and Baraja and Real Madrid's England striker Michael Owen.

The game was played with an almost total lack of midfield and produced some entertaining football, especially from the boots of Deco and Ronaldinho.

The goals flow

The first goal came after 15 minutes thanks to a fierce shot from Andrés Iniesta which keeper Jorge Campos could only watch as it screamed into the net.

Fiorentina's Japanese star Nakata replied for the World Eleven after some good play down the wing by Girondins Nigerian international Kalu Uche.

But the best was still to come as Barca scored two more before the break. In the 26th minute Deco hit the top corner from the edge of the box which was followed in the 30th minute by a goal from Messi after a combination between Iniesta and Cristian.

All change in the second half

The second half was less spectacular but there were still goals on offer. Eto'o came on after the break but it was Brazilian fullback Belletti who delighted the crowd with a spectacular solo effort in the 83rd minute. McCarthy and Petrov got the other two goals for the World Eleven.

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    Ah I loved watching Östlund go!

In Eurocup he didn't give Robben much to do, and now he did the same thing with Ronaldinho.

I'd say its the most underestimated Swede along with Wilhelmsson, I would love to see him in a big club soon.

Proud of him. :undecide:

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    have you seen the match?

excuse my ignorance, but who is Ostlund? Where does he play?

as for Wilhelmsson, I agree, hes good. But he needs to leave Anderlecht if he wants to higher up his level.

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    Östlund plays RB for Swedens NT. But he plays in the Swedish league, so I can understand that you don't know of him.
    He always does good, and as I mentioned, neither Ronaldinho nor Robben got past him.

Wilhelmsson will probably leave Anderlecht in January or this summer. Clubs in Italy, England and Spain is hunting him. But sadly, I think Celtic are willing to offer the most money for him. And he's said that he would be thrilled of playing there after seeing how much they love Larsson. :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)