Ballon d'Or 2010 (1 Viewer)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont value it much. But I can understand them if they are generally fair winners (and IMO basically almost every year is except Owens). Balon D'Or generally is, and Fifa used to be similar, but around a decade ago, they started doing their own freak show, of being totally bizzare with their choices.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It is, i've never valued either award to be honest. If its about understanding the game and following football, some people here are as qualified if not more than most of the voters on there imo.
And every time they come up with Casillas as goalie of the year, I am reminded of this. :andyandbarcelona:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I am not trying to troll or anything here, just adding a bit of information:

"The "Ballon d'Or", referred to as the European Footballer of the Year award, was an annual association football award. It was presented to the player who had been considered to have performed the best over the previous calendar year."

NOT THE BEST PLAYER OVER THE PREVIOUS CALENDAR YEAR, THE ONE WHO HAS PERFORMED BEST.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I still think in 2010, Messi has performed better than any other player in the world, that includes Sneijder, Xavi, Iniesta and Ronaldo.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I am not trying to troll or anything here, just adding a bit of information:

"The "Ballon d'Or", referred to as the European Footballer of the Year award, was an annual association football award. It was presented to the player who had been considered to have performed the best over the previous calendar year."

NOT THE BEST PLAYER OVER THE PREVIOUS CALENDAR YEAR, THE ONE WHO HAS PERFORMED BEST.
Critical. This suggests it would favor a Cavani more than, say, a Zlatan.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yes, but why would it be any different? Best player of that year = The one who has performed the best that year.

Messi just happens to be both (happens often enough with better top players), best in overall regardless of year (unless its Cristiano Ronaldo the one considered that by some), and performed the best for that calendar year. Not the one who won most crucial titles of that year (team effort), but performed the best.

Top players have off years or are injured, and they arent considered, and someone who is usually worse then them win for that year (for example Drogba, Rooney, Henry etc having off years/injuries). But that example doesnt fit this scenario, does it?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yes, but why would it be any different? Best player of that year = The one who has performed the best that year.

Messi just happens to be both (happens often enough), best in overall regardless of year (unless its Cristiano Ronaldo the one considered that by some), and performed the best for that calendar year. Not the one who won most crucial titles of that year, but performed the best.

Top players have off years or are injured, and they arent considered, and someone who is usually worse then them win for that year (for example Drogba, Rooney, Henry etc having off years/injuries). But that example doesnt fit this scenario, does it?
You are basing your criteria on the Spanish league I'm afraid. That and I, personally, think your judgement is a bit clouded. My opinion might also be clouded considering I despise Barcelona and all its players.

Here again I was not trolling, just trying to engage in a discussion. Hopefully you won't understand me wrong.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Messi just happens to be both (happens often enough with better top players), best in overall regardless of year (unless its Cristiano Ronaldo the one considered that by some), and performed the best for that calendar year. Not the one who won most crucial titles of that year (team effort), but performed the best.

If by any chance Messi played in serie C1, he was the same player and performed as well as he did for Barca, he was still gonna be the best performer, right? Was he gonna deserve to win the Ballon d'or? If not, why not?

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yes, but I wonder how often do the captains from east Asian countries wake up in the middle of the night to watch Messi play or how early do the captains of those Caribbean or Oceanian small islands do the same. From my experience with professional footballers, they watch much less football than normal football fans do.

However, even if every vote is the same, it's still strange that the top players think that Sneijder was the best in 2010 and due to the votes of the less famous players the Dutch didn't even make the top 3.
Just the same as regular football fans. It's not like they have autograph signings on Monday, Nike ad shoots on Tuesday and Sportsman of the year awards on Wednesday.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
European matches are normally 2:30 or 3:30 pm here, the hottest time of the day. They would train in the morning and/ or the evening.
And when are their matches played?

If I'm a professional football player in Croatian league I'd be missing a lot of football on tv. I'll play official matches too on Saturday or Sunday, then the trips back home etc.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
And when are their matches played?

If I'm a professional football player in Croatian league I'd be missing a lot of football on tv. I'll play official matches too on Saturday or Sunday, then the trips back home etc.
It's sad that I'm not very sure about this, but they usually play on weekdays at evening, like 7 or 8. Also, the leagues don't have that many teams so the games are spaced out more and the length of the season isn't as long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)