Azzurri's new squad ! 29 may 2005 (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2004
Azzurri: Totti dropped for Norway trip Sunday 29 May, 2005

Channel4.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has named the squad for next week’s World Cup qualifier in Norway, but dropped Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti.

It had already been rumoured that the Juventus captain would not be included, though Totti’s absence is more of a surprise. This may be extra punishment following the Roma star’s five-match ban for violent conduct.

Instead, Inter’s Christian Vieri earns a recall after months of injury worries, while Mauro Esposito and Antonio Cassano retain their spots in a relatively young front line along with Alberto Gilardino and Luca Toni.

Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso is suspended, while Juve’s Gianluca Zambrotta returns from a one-match ban.

The crunch match will take place in Oslo on Saturday June 4 and the Ullevaal Stadium and will be one of the most important ties in Group 5. Italy currently lead on 12 points ahead of Norway and Slovenia with 8.

The squad will come together at the Coverciano training ground on Monday evening and leave for Oslo on Friday afternoon.

The tie will be refereed by Spaniard Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez – the same official who was in charge of the Champions’ League Final between Milan and Liverpool. Curiously, his first international was Italy v Norway on February 10 1999.

Gk: Buffon (Juventus), Roma (Monaco)

D: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Parma), Cannavaro (Juventus), Chiellini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Palermo), Materazzi (Inter), Nesta (Milan), Zaccardo (Palermo)

M: Barone (Palermo), Blasi (Juve), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Diana (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan), Zambrotta (Juventus)

F: Cassano (Roma), Esposito (Cagliari), Gilardino (Parma), Toni (Palermo), Vieri (Inter)

---------

what do u think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

Whats wrong with Vieri? He's been on form and scored many goals lately. I dont get why Lippi didnt call Del Piero though.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I miss Del Piero, he has actually had better form than Cassano :rolleyes:
I would like to see this starting eleven against Norway:

-------------------Buffon
Zaccardo--Nesta---Canna--Zambrotta
----------Camo---Pirlo---De Rossi
----------------Cassano (free role)
---------------Vieri---Gilardino

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Lippi 'loves' Materazzi. When asked who is the player he likes best he said Materazzi cos he always gives 101% during training. Don't really like him myself to be honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)