Azzurri Thread (51 Viewers)

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Udogie is injured, he didn't look ready enough when he played for Italy though imo. Dimarco and Cambiaso are clear choices.

Very surprised that Spalletti dropped Locatelli for (I imagine) one of Ricci or Fagioli. Sad for Locatelli but excited by the boldness. He was poor when he played for Jorginho in the last friendlies, I guess he sees Locatelli as a mezzala and there are enough of those in the squad.

The squad looks like a 3421. Stacked GKs and defense, string midfield, uncertain attack.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
No De Gregorio, nor Carnesecchi?
This happens often when you have too many good keepers. Rather than have a grumbling third and/or fourth choice keeper you have basically two #1s there and then two second choice keepers who are capable in an emergency. Used to be that teams would sometimes pick a veteran or a kid as third choice in the old 23 man squads. I presume 3 keepers will go but I'm not sure. Ultimately, how many times does a third keeper play?

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Udogie is injured, he didn't look ready enough when he played for Italy though imo. Dimarco and Cambiaso are clear choices.

Very surprised that Spalletti dropped Locatelli for (I imagine) one of Ricci or Fagioli. Sad for Locatelli but excited by the boldness. He was poor when he played for Jorginho in the last friendlies, I guess he sees Locatelli as a mezzala and there are enough of those in the squad.

The squad looks like a 3421. Stacked GKs and defense, string midfield, uncertain attack.
WOW. So he didn't even make the supposed from what I read the initial group before players dropped?

Italy's attack indeed looks uncertain and weak. Past attacks were certain with players but weak. Chiesa could be the big goal scorer.

Expect and hope for 1-0 wins which would be fine with me. And if they completely fall on their face ..... possibly this guy could take over for WC 2026 lol.
No one better at winning 1-0.
:max:

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Pellegrini, Scamacca and Chiesa together is good enough. The problem is the bench. Retegui is good. Raspadori had a weird season, and the rest are unproven (or unworthy) at this level. Berardi and Zaniolo are really missed.
Nah fuck berardi and zaniolo has had a terrible season. I'd put a case that politano should be there, Orsolini well deserved, id like to see him start tbh

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Spaletti is gambling on Fags - it's a bet he's willing to take.

What do you think @.zero

Sucaktelli has no business being selceted after the shitshow of a season he's had - incredibly overrated player and borderline garbage (nowhere near Gatti level, fortunately - that dude is an entire landfill site).

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
This happens often when you have too many good keepers. Rather than have a grumbling third and/or fourth choice keeper you have basically two #1s there and then two second choice keepers who are capable in an emergency. Used to be that teams would sometimes pick a veteran or a kid as third choice in the old 23 man squads. I presume 3 keepers will go but I'm not sure. Ultimately, how many times does a third keeper play?
True that

Although it is a joke that the hapless Meret is even considered after another awful season. I’d have taken Carnesecchi myself.

Cristante in the team is a fucking joke. Another nothing player. No problems with Locatelli missing out, he’s been godawful all season.

I have a sneaking suspicion Fagioli will make the final 26. Italy don’t really have another creative midfielder like him imo.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I have low expectations. Then again, so does everybody else. The defence and midfield are decent but its in attack where we are truly outclassed. Getting out of the group is hard enough. They need to beat Albania and hope to get a point from either Spain or Croatia - no easy feet.

If you look at the Serie A top scorers, you have to go to number 13 or something to find the first Italian striker and its Scamacca with only 11 goals. Orsalini and Chiesa have 10 and 8 respectively. Perhaps that might be the front 3.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
True that

Although it is a joke that the hapless Meret is even considered after another awful season. I’d have taken Carnesecchi myself.

Cristante in the team is a fucking joke. Another nothing player. No problems with Locatelli missing out, he’s been godawful all season.

I have a sneaking suspicion Fagioli will make the final 26. Italy don’t really have another creative midfielder like him imo.
I'd have taken Carnesecchi as well. He deserves it and I don't think he'd cause an issue, he knows he is third choice at best currently. And it would have been a good experience to be part of it.

I agree re Fagioli as well. He might not be a 90 minute player because of conditioning but he adds something different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 40)