Azzurri Thread (38 Viewers)

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It was basically set up for Italy to waste chances and then blow it yet again, but for the officials.

What a shit generation or so this has been, lost its gritty mentality over the years and now cannot fall back on solidity and quality.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
It was basically set up for Italy to waste chances and then blow it yet again, but for the officials.

What a shit generation or so this has been, lost its gritty mentality over the years and now cannot fall back on solidity and quality.
I think part of it is football becoming a lot more global, more footballers in elite leagues for the little nations and less local players playing in top flight for the big5. so Italy are no longer head and shoulders above most teams in Europe and can't afford off days.

f.e. in Serie A in 2003/04 according to fbref 65% of the players were Italian and they played 67% of all the minutes in Serie A. 20 years later in 2023/24 Italians make up 39% of the players and cover 36% of the minutes played. interestingly in Spain the minutes played by locals % is still quite high at 57%, Germany is also better than Italy at 47%, but Ligue 1 and EPL are also heavily based on foreigners like Serie A.

if you combine it with how Serie A has proportionally less money and is no longer a TOP1 or TOP2 league in Europe, the equation becomes quite brutal for the Azzurri - you have a smaller pool to pick from who are playing at a worse level + now there're a lot more smaller countries where half of the starting lineup are from Serie A and they play at the same level as your players like Romania, Albania, etc.

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
They literally won a major tournament two years ago.
Yeah I'm being harsh and spoiled but that's the way it feels overall over various tournaments and qualifications. The Euros win was great and the build up to that over a year or so with Mancini's work, but it also feels like that was the culmination of great work and a final flourish for a few key players, one of those against-the-odds tournament wins that was deserved but built on the team ethos and character.

Having said that, re the teams who failed to qualify, it wouldn't surprise me if they had qualified to see those then go on and build and make a semis or so, and this could even happen with this relatively mediocre team. I don't back against Italy in a tournament.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah I'm being harsh and spoiled but that's the way it feels overall over various tournaments and qualifications. The Euros win was great and the build up to that over a year or so with Mancini's work, but it also feels like that was the culmination of great work and a final flourish for a few key players, one of those against-the-odds tournament wins that was deserved but built on the team ethos and character.

Having said that, re the teams who failed to qualify, it wouldn't surprise me if they had qualified to see those then go on and build and make a semis or so, and this could even happen with this relatively mediocre team. I don't back against Italy in a tournament.
I definitely agree with you there. Somehow it feels like ages since Italy have had a great squad. But in reality they played really good football just two years ago and actually won a majour tournament while doing so. Belgium was consistently good for a decade, but in my opinion they had just one good major tournament in 2018. I'd definitely trade the years of good football for a tournament win.

In the long run of course it's about building great teams again and again and Italy have not been doing that for quite a while now.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Italy got fucked. They might make it through, but barely.

This is such a banana peel group. Expect losses against Spain and Croatia and a draw or win against Albania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Italy got fucked. They might make it through, but barely.

This is such a banana peel group. Expect losses against Spain and Croatia and a draw or win against Albania.
Croatia's stars will be too old. Modric will be 39, Perisic 35, Brozovic 32. The World Cup and the Nation's League this year were that team's last hurrah.
But I agree that Italy's chances are slim at this Euro. Quarterfinals at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)